Please Repeat That 2014-11-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Please Repeat That 2014-11-07

Post by zachariah »

While all of this is wonderful and it is looking at what happens during teenage years, mixed families, etc. I am wondering what Monica and the others are up to? I know Paul has indicated he is switching the strip over to focus on Sali and Pickle and I am not really fond of this idea. There are still too many unanswered questions about every one else. Major problems still laying around that need to be addressed or dealt with. Like the immortal politicians, the generals who Bad Bud was manipulating. We also have Tina's journey hanging. Monica and Kevin, Shelly and Justin. Amanda being introduced to the para world, etc. Isn't it about time we got back to those and other things?

It was these story lines that separated Wapsi from other web comics. Keep on about Sali and Pickle it starts losing its distinct nature and can become just one of the pack which explores these areas.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

shadowinthelight wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And yes, Castela looks like a miniature Bud in these last two comics.
Of course she's a Bud. She hasn't flowered yet.
If nobody else has mentioned it, you need to see a certain Pun J. Vault.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
as363

Post by as363 »

Dave wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Next
Castela to Atsali: "Are you going to share that chocolate?"
:lol: Well, if there's going to be an all-in-the-family sharing of an addictive mind-altering substance, then good chocolate is probably the best choice for it!

Any bets? White, milk, dark, semi-sweet, or baker's?
Ghirardelli 72% Cacao would be my guess
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:While all of this is wonderful and it is looking at what happens during teenage years, mixed families, etc. I am wondering what Monica and the others are up to? I know Paul has indicated he is switching the strip over to focus on Sali and Pickle and I am not really fond of this idea. There are still too many unanswered questions about every one else. Major problems still laying around that need to be addressed or dealt with. Like the immortal politicians, the generals who Bad Bud was manipulating. We also have Tina's journey hanging. Monica and Kevin, Shelly and Justin. Amanda being introduced to the para world, etc. Isn't it about time we got back to those and other things?

It was these story lines that separated Wapsi from other web comics. Keep on about Sali and Pickle it starts losing its distinct nature and can become just one of the pack which explores these areas.
You aren't the only one to express this sort of sentiment recently.

All I can suggest is that you/we have patience, and trust that Paul will get us there. I don't think he's abandoning the larger Wapsi picture - rather, he's spending the time he needs to build an important new element in it.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

shadowinthelight wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And yes, Castela looks like a miniature Bud in these last two comics.
Of course she's a Bud. She hasn't flowered yet.
<Ahem> I think the pun jar is eying you. And it's not a potato.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Actually, she did flower.

Not a flower i'd care to get within grabbing range of, though.

Prhaps her name needs to be changed to Audrey Three.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
sheik

Post by sheik »

illiad wrote:the problem about chocolate (proper name is cocoa!) , is all the other **** they add to it... Its not even regulated properly in UK, there is so little *actual* cocoa in it here, the french call it 'vegelait' .. vegetable oil, milk, and a pinch of cocoa.. (and all the other preservatives... :( )
Is that how they pay for their welfare states; using punitive austerity?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:While all of this is wonderful and it is looking at what happens during teenage years, mixed families, etc. I am wondering what Monica and the others are up to? I know Paul has indicated he is switching the strip over to focus on Sali and Pickle and I am not really fond of this idea. There are still too many unanswered questions about every one else. Major problems still laying around that need to be addressed or dealt with. Like the immortal politicians, the generals who Bad Bud was manipulating. We also have Tina's journey hanging. Monica and Kevin, Shelly and Justin. Amanda being introduced to the para world, etc. Isn't it about time we got back to those and other things?

All I can suggest is that you/we have patience, and trust that Paul will get us there. I don't think he's abandoning the larger Wapsi picture - rather, he's spending the time he needs to build an important new element in it.
After re-reading your post, I admit you have a point. If we are looking at a new and larger scope a new and larger problem is needed as well. To top the calendar will take something fairly significant. I'll put my money on what Bia is really trying to do. She said something about fixing what lead to the cataclysm and the lost souls. Shelly is part of this as she's worked so hard to create a Sphinx/Titan hybrid. She also had a hand in creating the Jaguar girl. If we toss in some of the other developing players we are starting to see the formation of the team that is going to accomplish it. If they don't kill Bia first. Adding a Siren/Incubus and a blackthorn to the mix seems reasonable. After all the blackthorn guard the doorways to elsewhere don't they. I guess Pickle will become the guide and means of access. Sali the PR person. Shelly and Monica the trouble shooters, and the GG are the muscle. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

sheik wrote:
illiad wrote:the problem about chocolate (proper name is cocoa!) , is all the other **** they add to it... Its not even regulated properly in UK, there is so little *actual* cocoa in it here, the french call it 'vegelait' .. vegetable oil, milk, and a pinch of cocoa.. (and all the other preservatives... :( )
I wish it was that simple!! :roll: no, just clueless people, believing cadbury's make the best... they used to, decades ago...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

illiad wrote:
sheik wrote:
I wish it was that simple!! :roll: no, just clueless people, believing cadbury's make the best... they used to, decades ago...
They still make the best adverts...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

zachariah wrote:
Dave wrote:

After re-reading your post, I admit you have a point. If we are looking at a new and larger scope a new and larger problem is needed as well. To top the calendar will take something fairly significant. I'll put my money on what Bia is really trying to do. She said something about fixing what lead to the cataclysm and the lost souls. Shelly is part of this as she's worked so hard to create a Sphinx/Titan hybrid. She also had a hand in creating the Jaguar girl. If we toss in some of the other developing players we are starting to see the formation of the team that is going to accomplish it. If they don't kill Bia first. Adding a Siren/Incubus and a blackthorn to the mix seems reasonable. After all the blackthorn guard the doorways to elsewhere don't they. I guess Pickle will become the guide and means of access. Sali the PR person. Shelly and Monica the trouble shooters, and the GG are the muscle. lol.
Sometimes, adding in new characters is how you help the stories of the earlier characters grow, even if it means spending less time concentrating on the older characters. Introducing Bud, Brandy and Jin took a lot of focus off of Monica and Shelly and their own storylines of the time. . .but it is also what led Monica and Shelly into so much more and let their storylines evolve and grow. Without them, then we wouldn't have had the Calendar Machine events, the Library, Phix and Nudge and Euryale being part of the story, Shelly's sphinx revelation, and so on. Adding new characters makes for new situations which can be the catalyst for moving the older characters out of their old roles into new ones. It gives the story a larger world for the characters to grow further into.

Just look at how much the introduction of Atsali and Castela has already evolved some of the earlier characters. Katherine has been given much more depth of backstory and more of a life. Brandy has taken on a new role. Monica has now gone from student to mentor. Things seem to be developing with Jin and with Lily. Who knows where else things will go?

Yes, we'll be seeing less of old favourites (though most of my favourites didn't feature all that often anyway), but this might also be the key to resolving all of those old loose ends that have been left hanging.

Perhaps these latest changes will take things in a direction I won't like. That's happened in other series I've read or watched, though it's also possible for that to happen without a shift in the story's focus characters. So far the artist here has managed to carry his series on for thirteen years with all sorts of changes without it going off, and I'm willing to just watch and see where this goes now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: They still make the best adverts...
yes... but i prefer the gorilla one! No1 in 2010 top 10 ads..
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There was an argument that, after the calendar machine was "fixed", that Paul was going to run out of story to tell.

They fixed the Calendar Machine nearly five years ago.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk wrote:There was an argument that, after the calendar machine was "fixed", that Paul was going to run out of story to tell.

They fixed the Calendar Machine nearly five years ago.
nope, plenty of loose ends...

I guess Paul is very busy taking care of his growing kids, going to comic cons, etc...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That was kinda my point: he's got enough stories and characters that he's set for as long as he wants to do this.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin