An Adorable Rose Bush 2014-11-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
JSStryker

An Adorable Rose Bush 2014-11-05

Post by JSStryker »

I think Katherine has hit on the right combination of love and words!

My heart goes out to Castela in that first frame, she looks devastated. :cry:

Then in the second panel her eyes are hilarious! (Edit: Just realized those were her cheeks and not her eyes) :oops:

One thing I am curious about is if Kath hugged a rose bush and spent 2 weeks in the hospital, was it an allergic reaction or something else?
Last edited by JSStryker on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vive la weird!
Atomic

Re: An Adorable Rose Bush 2014-11-05

Post by Atomic »

A good case of Feels going on right now. Well done, Kath!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

i feel the love too, but... the HARD part is coming up next... her trying to explain that what she did was wrong, and she should apologize. THAT'S when the REAL risk of evisceration comes into play, as Pickle may take it the wrong way in that she may confuse the things in her mind versus what was ACTUALLY said into: "Mom is taking Atsali's side of things, and that i'm going to be thrown away AGAIN..." and get angry enough to hit Mom to make her go away and leave her alone... though i hope it doesn't come to that, and that Katherine can talk her down like she/we want...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

JSStryker wrote:I think Katherine has hit on the right combination of love and words!
She does seem to be a natural.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Mama Kath FTW!!!

Kath's child rearing kung fu is strong... and Castela is looking more human than we've seen her in that last panel...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

scantrontb wrote:i feel the love too, but... the HARD part is coming up next... her trying to explain that what she did was wrong, and she should apologize. THAT'S when the REAL risk of evisceration comes into play, as Pickle may take it the wrong way in that she may confuse the things in her mind versus what was ACTUALLY said into: "Mom is taking Atsali's side of things, and that i'm going to be thrown away AGAIN..." and get angry enough to hit Mom to make her go away and leave her alone... though i hope it doesn't come to that, and that Katherine can talk her down like she/we want...
Kathryn just starts by explaining to Castela that Atsali doesn't hate her, she was just very, VERY, upset by Castela coming into her room without permission. And that Atsali is now bawling her head off in her room because she hurt Castela and is afraid that Castela hates her now. The trick is to lead Castela to suggesting that she forgive Atsali and apologize to her, so the action is her choice, not Mama’s orders. That way she may start to consider how her actions can hurt Atsali in the future.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Mama Kath FTW!!!

Kath's child rearing kung fu is strong... and Castela is looking more human than we've seen her in that last panel...
I was thinking the same about her looks.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

JSStryker wrote: One thing I am curious about is if Kath hugged a rose bush and spent 2 weeks in the hospital, was it an allergic reaction or something else?
Well, remember when she and Monica were panicking over the lost portal cloth, she was trying to think how to avoid going to work to face the music, and she was thinking that she could buy a pound of strawberries, eat just one and PROBABLY get to the hospital before anaphylaxis set in; if she's got that strong an allergic reaction to one thing, maybe she has others.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Castela is just a little girl that wants her big sister and buddy back. Atsali is just being a teenager, and is likely busy enough to not realize how little time she's spent with her favorite little person. I'd say they need a sibling date.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Last panel is Beautiful. Castela is a real little girl, Mama Katherine sees it. No thorns or scars.
Pinnochios' wish came true. :cry: Anyone have a Kleenex?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

My2Cents wrote:
scantrontb wrote:i feel the love too, but... the HARD part is coming up next... her trying to explain that what she did was wrong, and she should apologize. THAT'S when the REAL risk of evisceration comes into play, as Pickle may take it the wrong way in that she may confuse the things in her mind versus what was ACTUALLY said into: "Mom is taking Atsali's side of things, and that i'm going to be thrown away AGAIN..." and get angry enough to hit Mom to make her go away and leave her alone... though i hope it doesn't come to that, and that Katherine can talk her down like she/we want...
Kathryn just starts by explaining to Castela that Atsali doesn't hate her, she was just very, VERY, upset by Castela coming into her room without permission. And that Atsali is now bawling her head off in her room because she hurt Castela and is afraid that Castela hates her now. The trick is to lead Castela to suggesting that she forgive Atsali and apologize to her, so the action is her choice, not Mama’s orders. That way she may start to consider how her actions can hurt Atsali in the future.
Also need to remimber that Castela's whole attitude towards Fae changed when she realized they could cry and the thought that she hurt something that could cry got to her. Mama has the right idea going, make it the dumb older ones fault.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Last panel is Beautiful. Castela is a real little girl, Mama Katherine sees it. No thorns or scars.
Pinnochios' wish came true. :cry: Anyone have a Kleenex?
Was thinking same thing here... debating whether this is what Kath sees or did the emotion help Castela develop her glamour to a new level?
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Mama Kath FTW!!!

Kath's child rearing kung fu is strong...
My first reaction was "Damn, she's good!"

Kath's story carried just the right subtext to reassure Castela... "You are loved and cherished, and deserve to be loved and cherished, even if you sometimes do hurtful things." This will help Pickle separate "what I did, that was bad" from "I am bad"... it will make it easier for her to accept correction, I think, without fearing that it means permanent rejection.

Kath really has grown and come alive (dare I say blossomed?) since the beginning of the Big Adventure.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Calista should be able to understand that as a teenager Atsali
needing privacy doesn't mean she doesn't love her.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

A mother's love heals a little girl's wounded heart. <3
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

jayessell wrote:Calista should be able to understand that as a teenager Atsali
[nitpick]Calista is the tough-talkin' Cricket now under Mon's mentorship, Castela is this week's thorny dilemma.[/nitpick]
'Stela has not yet matured to the point where she needs privacy, so she cannot yet understand why Sali would.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

dammit paul you hit me right in the feels with this page. right in the feels.. now if you excuse me i gotta go hug my daughter..
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

While pickle is a powerful para why are we assuming she is like a hand grenade about to go off? While a 5 year old will have tantrums, and pickle has had a few, she has not shown a destructive side to them. The worst she's done is stomp on Cricket several times and that was because she did not know they could cry. She didn't think they had feelings and treated them like bugs. Once she knew different she stopped and won't do it again. She has clearly shown that even when upset she is not the type to lash out and hurt others! What she does is go to a shape that makes others leave her alone, basically a defensive posture. This is very different from a 5 year old who throws and breaks things when angry. So thinking someone could die when Pickle is upset is really not indicated now is it? Or do some of us just want to see another scene like when Phix ate the Apo?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

AmriloJim wrote:
jayessell wrote:Calista should be able to understand that as a teenager Atsali
[nitpick]Calista is the tough-talkin' Cricket now under Mon's mentorship, Castela is this week's thorny dilemma.[/nitpick]
'Stela has not yet matured to the point where she needs privacy, so she cannot yet understand why Sali would.
Pickle needs to learn to knock first. Then learn that "Who is it?" is not an invitation to open the door.

I was in the same position when I was about Pickle's age and my sister a tween. Didn't see a thing and closed the door so fast that I may have broken the sound barrier.
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

zachariah wrote:While pickle is a powerful para why are we assuming she is like a hand grenade about to go off?
Lily is why.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/grandcritter/