My Job 2014-11-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: My Job 2014-11-04

Post by Dave »

Xiombarg wrote:
ArendJK wrote:The word 'Me' is missing from the thought bubble in panel 3.
I thought that, too. Hacked together a simple fix of it, if anyone might be interested (and the Artist/Author doesn't mind)
What Kath was thinking, could make sense either with or without the "me" modifier. As written, she's aware that Castela could eviscerate somebody during a tantrum... the risk is not just to Kath herself, but to others who might be present at the time. Even Atsali might be at risk... we know that she has a Siren combat-morph and is potentially quite powerful, but we don't know the limits of what Castela is capable of when she turns into a whirlwind of spinning thorns.

So, Paul may have deliberately written it to convey the message that Castela is dangerous in general when she's angry and out of control, and that Kath realizes this and understands the importance of the responsibility she has taken on.

EDIT: of course, she could also have been referring to Atsali's ability to eviscerate. Or, both. Neither of her adoptive kids is a milquetoast, and she has a responsibility to bring each of them to adulthood safely (for themselves and everyone else).
Last edited by Dave on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I think Katherine is finally realizing just how far out to see she's been tossed in... I'm sure that her view of her situation is like being in the middle of the Pacific ocean, looking in every direction and seeing nothing but huge waves. She realizes that she is armed for the job, but with dubious weapons that are barely adequate for the job (Mommy Voice and Attitude)... at this point in time. How soon before she realizes that those weapons aren't enough... or she upgrades her abilities to deal with said paranormals?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

'Out to Sea' is a good analogy, I wonder though, if there isn't a "I didn't know that about myself/ I didn't know I could do that..." down the line still for Katerine.

OTOH, it would have had enough 'motivation' to reveal itself by now (events at the dig, way back when or rolling down the Mine Shaft , etc).

Still, I could foresee an out-of-control Castela doing somebody damage, even Kath [who with steely determination winds the Berserker out of the rabid weed] but Mom stepping into the next room and applying the quick-heal salve, provided by MIB of course, to get herself back to the 'Fixed Point in Space' shes going to have to be...

Or she could just get hit by Lightening...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote:Hugs go a long way...
But can be a tad uncomfortable when thorns are involved.
illiad wrote:... and a simple lock on the door would fix it???? (yes, there are locks (for internal doors,that cannot be blocked by a key in other side!) that can be opened from outside with a key.. )
A locked door might at least keep Castela from casually letting herself in, but it won't fix the underlying problem. What's better is to take away the need for a lock in the first place by teaching Castela not to go into where she's not supposed to be. Otherwise you'll always need locks on anything and everything whenever she's around.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I really hope there's enough room in Pickle's jar for both her and her mom.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Kathy should have a large glass of whiskey before the talk. That way they both can be pickled!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Catawampus wrote:What's better is to take away the need for a lock in the first place by teaching Castela not to go into where she's not supposed to be. Otherwise you'll always need locks on anything and everything whenever she's around.
and I would bet you have not tried this with a hyperactive young kid... just getting their attention for more than 30 seconds is usually a challenge!

The point about the lock, is if it is broken/ door smashed open, then higher power can properly be involved... MiB can manage the situation, pickle will get a sharp burst of 'paranormal discipline', and start 'growing up'...

Even without MIB, pickle will get the emotional backlash.. "how can you damage this house and family that loves you?"
Young kids NEED boundaries, even if it is just a locked door.. in a paranormal world, there will always be good protection against any damage,

In RL, it does not matter how bad the lock is, just that evidence of breakage occurs.. plenty good enough to make the contents insurable..
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:Was unable to find who said it, but whoever called for Kath to put 'Sali in timeout while she diffused our bundle of emotional thorns nailed it.
I wouldn't call that a timeout for Atsali... (snip)
A non-punitive timeout.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TazManiac wrote:'Or she could just get hit by Lightening...
Why do you want to make Katherine lose weight? she looks Hot as she is.... don't make her lose her curves!! :) ... i think the word you were looking for was "lightning", maybe?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

scantrontb wrote:
TazManiac wrote:'Or she could just get hit by Lightening...
Why do you want to make Katherine lose weight? she looks Hot as she is.... don't make her lose her curves!! :) ... i think the word you were looking for was "lightning", maybe?
yeahhhh, that whole thing was one of my rushing-out-the-door, 'fruitcake' posts; little bits of everything all mashed-up like...

PS- I dont think theres any one in the Wapsi-verse I'd have loose weight...
DoctorOverlord

Post by DoctorOverlord »

"Backing up my authority with my attitude alone."

And looking DAMN hot doing it! The Atsali fan service is terrific but we need some smexy Katherine art! :)
sheik

Post by sheik »

This situation has a solution bordering on the tragic.
Pickle does not know just how vulnerable mommy is, and if she lashes out?
This could really get messy in more ways than one.
illiad

Post by illiad »

eee wrote:
illiad wrote:
scantrontb wrote:Well, at least Katherine KNOWS what she signed up for... she knows that Pickle could lash out in a fit of anger and kill her... and that the ONLY thing protecting her against it is her "Mommy Voice" and no-nonsense attitude...
... and a simple lock on the door would fix it???? (yes, there are locks (for internal doors,that cannot be blocked by a key in other side!) that can be opened from outside with a key.. )
WOULD a lock fix it? A lock would be a more emphatic "STAY OUT, PICKLE!" sign; but unless the door is close fitted to the frame Castela could unravel down into vines and slither in through gaps or even the keyhole. She's a very difficult person to keep out of some place if she decides she wants in...
um, its a paranormal door... :roll: even the thinnest thing could not get through... :P

you can get through this?? Image
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

illiad wrote:
you can get through this?? Image
Well, there's always the old credit card trick.
illiad

Post by illiad »

you seem to be casting about wildly... you see that little bump behind the latch?? that is a credit card catcher, it stays up when the latch is manually pushed... 8-)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

illiad wrote:you seem to be casting about wildly... you see that little bump behind the latch?? that is a credit card catcher, it stays up when the latch is manually pushed... 8-)
I have been told that if you push on the door and slide the card in at an angle then it will catch both and open it just fine.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

hearsay is not the same as actually doing it.. so many of these 'theories' have been busted on Mythbusters... go on try it, how many credits cards do you want to ruin?? :lol:

Note: yes, its easy to open a simple latch, but if the latch is locked, it cannot be moved... :P
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

oldmanmickey wrote:
illiad wrote:you seem to be casting about wildly... you see that little bump behind the latch?? that is a credit card catcher, it stays up when the latch is manually pushed... 8-)
I have been told that if you push on the door and slide the card in at an angle then it will catch both and open it just fine.
and if you CAN do that, then the latch was either not properly installed in the first place, or, the hole in the door jamb has worn out. either way, that lock is pretty much useless now... get it replaced and/or the frame fixed...

my dad was a locksmith, and he always said to me that "locks only keep honest people out"...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DoctorOverlord wrote:"Backing up my authority with my attitude alone."

And looking DAMN hot doing it! The Atsali fan service is terrific but we need some smexy Katherine art! :)

I finally found my way back to this particular post to render a hearty

"Mee Toooo"