Nothing Special 2014-10-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Nothing Special 2014-10-17

Post by jwhouk »

Heh... try it out on the little sister first.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jeffepp

Re: Nothing Special 2014-10-17

Post by jeffepp »

As I said yesterday, experiments are what siblings are for.
Radio365

Post by Radio365 »

Well that's a single sample. We need a larger test bed here. I mean for all we know, her abilities just don't work on plants!

(obviously I'm just being ridiculous :lol: )
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Congratulations Atsali, you tried something and...it didn't work. :lol: Precisely as planned.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Testing, testing, 1 2 3 ...

Ahem.

"ALL YOU BASE ARE BELONG TO US!"

No?

Ok -- good. Never mind. Carry on as you were.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Kid sisters - shooting elder siblings down since the Paleolithic.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

MerchManDan wrote:Congratulations Atsali, you tried something and...it didn't work. :lol: Precisely as planned.
How do you test the safety feature? Obviously you have to do something that would cause it to engage (whatever that may mean for the specific safety feature in question). Hopefully something that will be reasonably safe even if the safety feature doesn't work.

It's a common problem.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

WARNING..... WARNING.... WARNING.....

This is a test of the Atsali broadcast system. Had this been a real broadcast, you would have been instructed exactly what to do by Atsali.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

:lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dagnabbit, I was just about to point out Atsali's method seemed a little Tedd-ish.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Oh, Atsali... nothing trumps the power of dessert...
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Radio365 wrote:Well that's a single sample. We need a larger test bed here. I mean for all we know, her abilities just don't work on plants!

(obviously I'm just being ridiculous :lol: )
No, I had that though as well.

But .... Atsali thinks this is a successful test .... so, just maybe, early on in their time together at the orphanage Atsali *DID* use her siren's song on Castela (probably accidentally) and it affected Castela. :?: [that might be why Castela was paired with her on Library visits? Atsali could 'control' a wild Castela?]

On someone as young as Castela, I suspect the result would be parental/child and/or sibling love?

And now, after all their time together, Castela see Atsali as family she (genuinely) loves and Atsali's siren song doesn't work.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The real heartbreak is going to be when it effects someone she was sure it would not.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

oldmanmickey wrote:The real heartbreak is going to be when it effects someone she was sure it would not.
Like Momma Katherine?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

No i think she does love her. Some of her "aunts" maybe.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jeffepp wrote:As I said yesterday, experiments are what siblings are for.
Little sisters can't ground you if things go pear-shaped.
Radio365 wrote:Well that's a single sample. We need a larger test bed here. I mean for all we know, her abilities just don't work on plants!
You mean that while Atsali was performing her magic trick, there was a plant in the audience?!
MerchManDan wrote:Congratulations Atsali, you tried something and...it didn't work. :lol: Precisely as planned.
It's funny how often failure is the key to progress in experimentation.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Kid sisters - shooting elder siblings down since the Paleolithic.
From the Paleolithic to the Neophytic!
oldmanmickey wrote:The real heartbreak is going to be when it effects someone she was sure it would not.
I don't know if that would be terribly likely at the moment. She already knows that of her two closest friends, one isn't immune and the other isn't affected due to other circumstances. That didn't seem to upset her much. I think that she's less close to her aunts than she is to the twins, so it's not going to be a big shock if Monica or Bud falls for her spell (though it's quite possible that some of her aunts would be immune due to other supernatural reasons). I would be very surprised if Katherine didn't have strong feelings about Atsali, given all that we've seen of their interactions.

That would mainly just leave various boys (or girls, if she ends up going that way) who she is interested in.

What will be interesting is when she discovers somebody who has strong emotions about her, and those emotions aren't love, or at least aren't a healthy version of love.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:
jeffepp wrote:As I said yesterday, experiments are what siblings are for.
Little sisters can't ground you if things go pear-shaped.
Maybe not, but they can sure let their mother know...
Catawampus wrote:
You mean that while Atsali was performing her magic trick, there was a plant in the audience?!
Are you kidding? You do realize we're talking about Castela, right? The thorn plant, daughter of the wood, a Whatsit (a mix of animal and vegetal components)? Although my guess would have been that if it didn't work on her for a reason other than that of strong feelings, it might have been due to her being a magical being of sort, rather than being a plant being...
Catawampus wrote:
It's funny how often failure is the key to progress in experimentation.
At first, I was just looking for the quote on failure, by Thomas Edison... But the other quotes I found were quite interesting, too:
Goodreads wrote:“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” 
― Thomas A. Edison

“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't.” 
― Thomas A. Edison

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” 
― Thomas A. Edison

“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.” 
― Thomas A. Edison

“Negative results are just what I want. They’re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don’t.” 
― Thomas A. Edison
Brainy Quotes wrote:Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

When I have fully decided that a result is worth getting I go ahead of it and make trial after trial until it comes.
Thomas A. Edison
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Pickle as a test subject is questionable.

1. Pickle is of the Blackthorn. Who knows what powers and resistance she has. She might very well be naturally immune to the siren song.
2. Little sisters do love big sister but often irritation is what is upper most in their minds. Especially when big sister is going through HS. Remember the scene when Pickle read Sali's diary?
3. The subject matter. It is a forgone conclusion that pickle loves deserts better than she loves Sali at dinner time. No matter what the reason a child will never willingly surrender their desert without some sort of deal.

While it looks like Sali's test worked, it cannot be assumed to validate what she wanted to test. Most of her Aunts are probably naturally immune as well when you think of it. Not to sure who would be a good test subject either. Everyone has some sort of condition that could render them immune naturally that Sali would think they loved her.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monday Kathy comes and asks, "Alright what is going on NOW?"
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

zachariah wrote:Monday Kathy comes and asks, "Alright what is going on NOW?"
After a while, mothers tend to cut that down to a simple "Whatever you're doing, stop it." :)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

zachariah wrote:Pickle as a test subject is questionable.

1. Pickle is of the Blackthorn. Who knows what powers and resistance she has. She might very well be naturally immune to the siren song.
2. Little sisters do love big sister but often irritation is what is upper most in their minds. Especially when big sister is going through HS. Remember the scene when Pickle read Sali's diary?
3. The subject matter. It is a forgone conclusion that pickle loves deserts better than she loves Sali at dinner time. No matter what the reason a child will never willingly surrender their desert without some sort of deal.

While it looks like Sali's test worked, it cannot be assumed to validate what she wanted to test. Most of her Aunts are probably naturally immune as well when you think of it. Not to sure who would be a good test subject either. Everyone has some sort of condition that could render them immune naturally that Sali would think they loved her.
I agree with 1 and 2, but not with 3: the whole point of the test was to see if Pickle was susceptible to the Siren song. Had she been susceptible to it, she would have had no say in trying to make any kind of deal. She would have been compelled to surrender her dessert.

Oh, and one more thing: I'm pretty sure Pickle likes sweet confections a lot more than vast, sandy wastelands... (Dessert <> Desert) :P