Need To Listen 2014-10-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
oldmanmickey

Need To Listen 2014-10-10

Post by oldmanmickey »

So i was right on that much at lest. There are some immune to her power and others that will be. Highly interesting.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Re: Need To Listen 2014-10-10

Post by Opus the Poet »

Just Yay! for the seer seeing immunity from Atsali's song for people that really care about her...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Giggling.

Called it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Someone that has strong feelings for her can be immune. That can mean many things, but among them, someone that truly loves her will be able to resist her paranormal charms. She wont have to worry about pushing that kind of lover with her powers. That should brighten her day a bit.
That also means she can't affect Katherine or Castela.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Those with strong feelings for her have protection. So:
  • Most of the adult cast is protected. Mama Kathryn and Castela most of all.
  • She can sort out those just faking interested in her for the status of being 'connect' by making them leave.
  • If a boy she is interested in shows interest and she sings a song to make him leave, but he stays, then she found 'a keeper'.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?" ;)

I think Atsali has definitely made her point to Berdine... and prob'ly without mortally embarrassing her, which is good all around.

And it seems that when Nadette is in a safe-enough situation that she doesn't have to play the strong-and-silent type... she's pretty cool. She looks to be just as strong a personality as Berdine, just not as outgoing and directive.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Nother case of clothes changes in this comic, namely Atsali's suit changing from black to white. I always laugh at that, when it's one day to the next you'd think that wouldn't happen. :)

Oh, and I felt like sharing these, I make wallpapers for my tablet of all my favorite comic characters, and here's mine for my favorite characters from this.

http://i58.tinypic.com/205y5vl.jpg - Atsali

http://i61.tinypic.com/156z9c4.jpg - Cricket

http://i57.tinypic.com/2cghlzq.jpg - Suzie
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Mark N wrote:Someone that has strong feelings for her can be immune. That can mean many things, but among them, someone that truly loves her will be able to resist her paranormal charms. She wont have to worry about pushing that kind of lover with her powers. That should brighten her day a bit.
That also means she can't affect Katherine or Castela.
ok, it seems (so far) that i was wrong about Berdine's reaction, cool by me, but Nadette's speech in the last panel brings up not so nice thoughts...
me being the pessimist that i am, i noticed the wording that Nadette used... "strong feelings for you" .... Hatred is a "strong feeling" too... if Atsali's parents were murdered like some of us think (versus an accident) her mom may have tried to make those persons "love her" and leave them alone, but their "strong feelings" of hatred caused them to be immune to her singing, thus allowing them to finish the deed... the way she worded it leaves it's exact meaning quite vague, like all Seer's tend to do...Hopefully Atsali will never need to put that to the test...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:e pessimist that i am, i noticed the wording that Nadette used... "strong feelings for you" .... Hatred is a "strong feeling" too... if Atsali's parents were murdered like some of us think (versus an accident) her mom may have tried to make those persons "love her" and leave them alone, but their "strong feelings" of hatred caused them to be immune to her singing, thus allowing them to finish the deed... the way she worded it leaves it's exact meaning quite vague, like all Seer's tend to do...Hopefully Atsali will never need to put that to the test...
You are right on the money here. Lucky for Atsali that her singing is not the only thing she has going for her. On top of having an uber-powerful family (all of the main cast), she has made (and is making) real friends that can watch her back if needed, just as she would for them.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

HA! I was right - first time for the full-on whammy, and she almost overdid it... :D
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Seeing Berdine's reaction to Atsali's object lesson is utterly priceless. I dare say that she definitely got the point.

Nadette's statement in the last panel is bothering me... not so much what she says, but the look she seems to be giving Atsali. She says she's vulnerable sometimes and that not all of her is in the here and now to be affected... which means she CAN be affected by Atsali's song under the right circumstances... but the dreamy look she has on her face in the last panel... I don't know... I just got the feeling that Nadette was either affected a little by Atsali's singing, or she has strong feelings for Atsali... I imagine that seeing Atsali doing that to Berdine was a bit shocking.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Wow, man, I was looking back through the archive for panels of the twins to save, this story made me realize I liked them enough to save panels. And I really didn't realize how little time they've been in the comic, I mean, this is only like their third story.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

themadkansan wrote:HA! I was right - first time for the full-on whammy, and she almost overdid it... :D
Yep, several of us were right that she really didn't know it was THAT easy and THAT strong.

She was aware of what she's capable of... like she'd read it out of a book. Never felt it.

So now she's probably even more sure she doesn't want to get a date that way.
NebulousRikulau

Post by NebulousRikulau »

DilyV wrote: Nadette's statement in the last panel is bothering me... not so much what she says, but the look she seems to be giving Atsali. She says she's vulnerable sometimes and that not all of her is in the here and now to be affected... which means she CAN be affected by Atsali's song under the right circumstances... but the dreamy look she has on her face in the last panel... I don't know... I just got the feeling that Nadette was either affected a little by Atsali's singing, or she has strong feelings for Atsali... I imagine that seeing Atsali doing that to Berdine was a bit shocking.
I noticed that too.
Atsali needs to learn to listen as well. ;)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Giggling.

Called it.
Yup, and I misread her.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Hmmm, is Berdine's eyeliner running from getting splashed with water, or is her face melting from the heat of passion and embarrassment?
Opus the Poet wrote:Just Yay! for the seer seeing immunity from Atsali's song for people that really care about her...
Which explains why Castela and Katherine appeared to be acting normally around her (given a paranormal's baseline of normality, that is) when she was singing in the past. Thus providing even more evidence that they both care greatly about her. Not that more evidence was actually needed, but it ought to give Atsali's ego a bit of an added bonus boost.
scantrontb wrote:... if Atsali's parents were murdered like some of us think (versus an accident) her mom may have tried to make those persons "love her" and leave them alone, but their "strong feelings" of hatred caused them to be immune to her singing, thus allowing them to finish the deed... the way she worded it leaves it's exact meaning quite vague, like all Seer's tend to do...
This also brings up more questions about Atsali's parents' relationship with each other. Was her father immune to the two sirens' songs? If the immunity of those who have strong feelings about her is truly news to Atsali, then perhaps she was just too young to really think about her father's lack of reaction. Or maybe there was no immunity, because there were no genuine emotions. Or she just never knew her father personally.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:Seeing Berdine's reaction to Atsali's object lesson is utterly priceless. I dare say that she definitely got the point.

Nadette's statement in the last panel is bothering me... not so much what she says, but the look she seems to be giving Atsali. She says she's vulnerable sometimes and that not all of her is in the here and now to be affected... which means she CAN be affected by Atsali's song under the right circumstances... but the dreamy look she has on her face in the last panel... I don't know... I just got the feeling that Nadette was either affected a little by Atsali's singing, or she has strong feelings for Atsali... I imagine that seeing Atsali doing that to Berdine was a bit shocking.
Nadette is not vulnerable to Sali's song as being a seer protects her from all kinds of magic. When she is vulnerable is when she is acting as a seer. At that time the power takes her over and she only sees her vision. Just as when she was when she told Cricket about needing friends.http://wapsisquare.com/comic/need-us/ The middle panel is when she is in full seer trance state. It is at times like this that she is vulnerable and when Berdine will be really protecting her. A true seer is valued and feared as they can, and will, see what was and can be. I'm just glad she doesn't talk in riddles. I hope Paul doesn't include Oracle type riddles into Nadette seer powers. That will make for endless discussions about what they mean. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

"I'm...imma gonna hang out in the cool water for a bit!" :lol: :lol: Now thát was proper funny.. especially combined with her rather disheveled looks. :D
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Interesting datum about the ursamorphs: Berdine didn't change shape at all, didn't revert to her tailed bearish form, when charmed or even when dropped into the water sputtering in shock.

Look as if an ursamorph's change-of-shape may be something that must be consciously chosen and willed, and they "hold state" otherwise. Some other shapeshifters (e.g. DS9's Odo and his kin the Founders) have been portrayed as needing to actively choose to hold their current shape and appearance, and reflexively revert to their "true form" if unconscious or attacked or injured or ...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now's the time to restate the rule of No Shop Talk while on the Island. And get Big Sis a ice cold drink.