My Warmth 2014-10-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Deuce

Re: My Warmth 2014-10-09

Post by Deuce »

Eh. I'm not really being optimistic tho?

Berdine's ability to consent is rendered moot by magical siren song, regardless of how far Astali intends to take it. Embarrassment/humiliation is a predictable reaction to this situation, and we won't know whatever else she may feel until tomorrow's page.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Deuce wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:I worry that this will leave scars, but really that depends on the paranormal nature, and I don't want go assuming facts not in evidence.

Not entirely happy to leave it though.
Objectively: p much borderline sexual assault.

Subjectively: not sure how Berdine will feel other than super embarassed.
well it depends if you are a 'frightened old guy' who does not understand what teengirls do, when there are no men about...
have you seriously not seen 'teen movie' or similar?? teens today are far more lackadaisical about sexuality..

I am a liberated scot, and I have seen my GF wind up a friend by making a *very lesbian* pass at her, for a laugh.. :twisted: "hey, get a room, you too!! :D :D "
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Deuce wrote:Eh. I'm not really being optimistic tho?

Berdine's ability to consent is rendered moot by magical siren song, regardless of how far Astali intends to take it. Embarrassment/humiliation is a predictable reaction to this situation, and we won't know whatever else she may feel until tomorrow's page.
Sorry, I misread you.

In light of the followup, I'd read you more "agnostic" than "optimistic". And I can't fault that.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
illiad

Post by illiad »

hmm, cliff hanger or not?? she could morph in to the boy of her affections, making her more embarrassed, or just say..

"ok, point taken, WHAT shall we talk about then??? :roll:"

or could be Bud arrives, saying " quit bickering you lot, get some drinks!!! :P :P "
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/have-a-drink/
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

illiad wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:I worry that this will leave scars, but really that depends on the paranormal nature, and I don't want go assuming facts not in evidence.

Not entirely happy to leave it though.
Objectively: p much borderline sexual assault.

Subjectively: not sure how Berdine will feel other than super embarassed.
well it depends if you are a 'frightened old guy' who does not understand what teengirls do, when there are no men about...
have you seriously not seen 'teen movie' or similar?? teens today are far more lackadaisical about sexuality..

I am a liberated scot, and I have seen my GF wind up a friend by making a *very lesbian* pass at her, for a laugh.. :twisted: "hey, get a room, you too!! :D :D "
The difference being your GF's friend is not magically enthralled, and probably either returns the playful flirtation, or at least has no qualm with it.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Berdine, even as we post, is plotting revenge.

(Of the embarrassing-not-harmful sort.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Let's get back to why this happened. Sali has explained to Berdine before why she won't be the one to approach the boy. She' want to be sure that he likes her without any chance of it being because of her siren powers and she is not going to be perceived as interfering with anyone's relationships. That is understandable and a good idea. Now Berdine appears to be pushing her to take the initiative and approach the boy which is counter to what Sali wants. Nadette called it that this is not about Sali as to why Berdine is pushing.

So why is Berdine pushing the issue? Does she want Sali to make use of her Queen Bee status? Or is she looking for an excuse to do the same thing herself. That there is a boy she wants to approach but doesn't feel right about doing it unless Sali has already. I'm wondering if this is part of the protector role Berdine has assumed for Sali and for her sister. True seers do need a protector, or manager, to watch over them. We have seen that Nadette does not have control over her visions and they will happen without her trying to make them. This will place her is awkward, or bad, situations as she goes forward. Berdine is there to keep Nadette from getting stomped by those who her visions impact. This role is a tough one as it calls for Berdine to dedicate her life to Nadette. Berdine might be feeling that in HS this dedication can be relaxed enough for her to seek a relationship. If she is pushing Sali to take the lead and Sali does. Berdine can then self justify stepping away from Nadette for a bit to pursue her own desires.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

AmriloJim wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:As i said - i hear Nadette giggling in the background.
Nadette is quite practiced at maintaining a neutral façade, so no audible giggle... but internally, she's ROTFLMAO.
zachariah wrote:We have seen that Nadette does not have control over her visions and they will happen without her trying to make them.
Point taken, but in those instances where Nadette drops into "all-knowing seer" mode, her delivery remains dispassionate.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I begin to wonder if Berdine wants the same boy Atsali does. Give Atsali her shot (and hope it fails) so she is out of the picture when Berdine makes her move. She could also be probing Atsali's intentions. Maybe go ahead and make her move anyway since Atsali isn't going to do anything any time soon. Ya snooze, ya lose may be at play here.

Why is Nadette not affected by her song? She is clearly within earshot. Could the eye contact be a part of it as well? If that's so, how did sirens lure sailors with only hearing the song?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote: Why is Nadette not affected by her song? She is clearly within earshot. Could the eye contact be a part of it as well? If that's so, how did sirens lure sailors with only hearing the song?
Atsali's Song may have multiple modes of operation. The mythic version from legends, like the Oddesy, would be a general broadcast version meant to attract multiple targets from a distance (like sailors on a ship, for example), to lure them in closer for the more directed single target mode that 'Sali is using here. From the whole hypno eyes and Burdine's obvious attraction and arousal to the effect, the second mode requires a direct line of sight and has a gaze component as well as the audible voice. It is also apparently a single target effect, otherwise Nadette would be effected, and is powerful enough to override the target's natural sexualitly.

My worry is that this will have lasting, long term consequences on Burdine. She may develop a crush on Atsali, or even fall in love with her, even after Atsali abrubtly cut the Song off and dumped her on the beach.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

My goodness I hope that Atsali and Dabbler from Grrrl Power never meet! :shock:
Vive la weird!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Boxilar wrote: Atsali's Song may have multiple modes of operation. The mythic version from legends, like the Oddesy, would be a general broadcast version meant to attract multiple targets from a distance (like sailors on a ship, for example), to lure them in closer for the more directed single target mode that 'Sali is using here. From the whole hypno eyes and Burdine's obvious attraction and arousal to the effect, the second mode requires a direct line of sight and has a gaze component as well as the audible voice. It is also apparently a single target effect, otherwise Nadette would be effected, and is powerful enough to override the target's natural sexualitly.

My worry is that this will have lasting, long term consequences on Burdine. She may develop a crush on Atsali, or even fall in love with her, even after Atsali abrubtly cut the Song off and dumped her on the beach.
Minor quibble: Odyssey and Berdine.

I suspect Atsali knows how it works, because she may have seen in action with her parents.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:zoom crash

I'm sorry to say that i think i hear Nadette giggling...
I can hear Nadette teasing Bernie now... "Bernie's got a guuuuuuurlfriend!!!" LOL!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Atsali's point is thouroughly made now.

[tiny rant]Still. The "Siren-thing" has always p*ssed me off to no end. To me, It's a nasty illustration of men's age-old fear of p*ssy power. As if men are wholly incapable of resisting those evil, lascivious, women.
As if men are totally helpless towards beautiful women, and thusly cannot be held responsible for rotten choices afa women, or their own lives are concerned.

The nasty image of women as manipulating (the Siren Song) roads to "honourable men's" demise...The reason I álso have trouble with accepting certain religious sects' views on the man/woman -thing.[/rant]

What's refreshing here, is that women are -apparently- júst as helpless towards The Siren's song in the Wapsi-verse. What's even more striking, is that it illustrates how really beautiful girls (or boys) that knów they are the trophy's, are in the unpleasant position of never really knowing if a guy (or girl, for that matter) is honest in his/her interest in her.

Some grow bitter, desillusioned and distant because of that. I've seen that in my friend-circle (and family, having two nieces that model, though not for Ralph Lauren, but more like Sears.. :lol: :lol: but they are "ye standard pretty blondes")

And yes, I am as guilty as sin, because the woman that's my BFF for 25 years by now (wow...) attracted my attention because she was stunningly beautiful. That was all. I hardly had any interest in who she really was as a person, just her looks. Shameful.

Still. When the first (horny adolescent boy) flutters wore off, and I accidentally discovered she was as deeply in X-Men (of all comics.. :P ) as I was, the real friendship started and we learned to accept&like eachother for who we were, not how we looked...

Our friendship has endured through many relationships, and a marriage. Looking back at it, i think that's quite remarkable. Plús it gave me a woman's perspective on many things, without the burden of "being in love". (In short: she has washed my ears on many an occasion, as friends are supposed to do, slapping some reality in me :D )
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

well that put the point across quite well.

Its also good to know Atsali is very aware of her abilities and looks and refuses to let her self be defined by them rather than the content of her character
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

This was very instructional. A graphic illustration of Atsali's power and control of her power. Atsali in this demonstration shows that she is trustworthy and will not use her power for the dark side. This should make her even closer (in a good way) to Bernadette. Kath should be proud.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jay-Em wrote:Atsali's point is thouroughly made now.

[tiny rant]Still. The "Siren-thing" has always p*ssed me off to no end. To me, It's a nasty illustration of men's age-old fear of p*ssy power. As if men are wholly incapable of resisting those evil, lascivious, women.
As if men are totally helpless towards beautiful women, and thusly cannot be held responsible for rotten choices afa women, or their own lives are concerned.

The nasty image of women as manipulating (the Siren Song) roads to "honourable men's" demise...The reason I álso have trouble with accepting certain religious sects' views on the man/woman -thing.[/rant]
A very cogent point. The whole issue of "How do men deal with their own sexual drives, responsibly and honorably" is a difficult one in many cultures. I think the problem tends to be worse in cultures which demonize or taboo the whole subject of sexuality. All too often, as you say, the "solution" is for men to blame women, and attempt to isolate or control them in various ways (up to and including murder). :( Sometimes this is seen as aberrant (e.g domestic violence here in the U.S.), sometimes it's socially sanctioned (the horrid case of so-called "honor killings" in some conservative tribal societies, for example).

Quite some years ago I saw a little-known film "The Silent Flute" (released in the US as "Circle of Iron"), a distinctly philosophical martial-arts film written by Bruce Lee prior to his death. In it, a young martial artist named Cord, while seeking the Book which was reputed to hold all the secrets of the Universe, ran across a man who had a distinctly different solution in mind to this problem... one that Cord couldn't quite bring himself to appreciate.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

JSStryker wrote:My goodness I hope that Atsali and Dabbler from Grrrl Power never meet! :shock:
...or Shelly and Halo...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DemonWolf

Post by DemonWolf »

Seems to be something wrong with the site now, all I get is background and this message;
"There are currently no widgets assigned to the left-sidebar, place some!
Once you add widgets to this sidebar, this default information will go away.
Widgets can be added by going to your dashboard (wp-admin) -> Appearance -> Widgets, drag a widget you want to see into one of the appropriate sidebars."
Humans as individuals are a mixed lot. Humanity as a species is an organised serial-killer biding his time.
captnq

Post by captnq »

DemonWolf wrote:Seems to be something wrong with the site now, all I get is background and this message;
"There are currently no widgets assigned to the left-sidebar, place some!
Once you add widgets to this sidebar, this default information will go away.
Widgets can be added by going to your dashboard (wp-admin) -> Appearance -> Widgets, drag a widget you want to see into one of the appropriate sidebars."
Ditto