Let Me Go 2014-09-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Let Me Go 2014-09-10

Post by Opus the Poet »

Scaaaarrrrry! Her demons actively want to shut her in.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Re: Let Me Go 2014-09-10

Post by lake_wrangler »

... *

* This is me being speechless...
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

Are you my mummy?

Sorry...couldn't resist the Dr. Who quote.

Sounds like she really needs help in keeping her demons in check. She's been isolated for so long and afraid of everyone getting too close that her demons need a swift kick in the arse.

And there's really only one person who can do that and that's Castella.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

If Calista's britches weren't brown before...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yeah, the title of this strip (and Calista's anguished cry in the last panel) really says it. It's the story of her life, in three little words.

Between being constrained "for the good of others" because she's Fae and therefore dangerous, and being constrained by the fates which condemn her to being raised and molded to become the future leader of the Fae, I don't think Calista's had any more freedom to choose her own path in life than, say, a child raised in a religious-cult community.

Small wonder she's a bit prone to acting out, I guess. :(
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I wasn't sure yesterday but today I get the distinct feeling we may not be looking at Cricket's demons... Monica has the ability to look into a person and pull out their worst fears and make the person realize them. (Think Nudge and the volcano) I get the feeling that this is a test for Cricket to see if she truly is worth saving as a fae. As a princess, Cricket knows damn well what the fae are and what they've done to others. The protie masks lead me to believe her "demons" are representative of the fae plant biologists who were responsible for attempting to chemically eradicate our favorite little thorn bush. It's been hinted she was pretty much shut in to insulate her from a lot of what the fae did to others, but what kid hasn't snuck around and found the very things that the parentals attempted to hide from them? What if Cricket, in one of her secret forays outside of her normal range of living space happened upon the lab where they were trying to kill Castela?

It may very well be that Monica is letting things go a little here to see where Cricket's heart really lies... but I don't think Monica is driving this exchange completely at this point either... rather watching to see what gets dredged up and out before stepping in and calming things down...

Anyway, that's my two cents...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Opus the Poet wrote:Scaaaarrrrry! Her demons actively want to shut her in.
Those are not Calista’s demons, but her greatest fears. Just because you know what someone's greatest fear is doesn't mean that it is available to show them. So, a little demonic cosplay is required, with some demons (her's or Monica's?) acting out the parts in J-space.

Probably Monica's demons. Monica has been able to assign her demons jobs to complete even before she became the Jaguar Girl.

Wonder which demons they are? Definitely not Doubt.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

DilyV wrote:I wasn't sure yesterday but today I get the distinct feeling we may not be looking at Cricket's demons... Monica has the ability to look into a person and pull out their worst fears and make the person realize them. (Think Nudge and the volcano) I get the feeling that this is a test for Cricket to see if she truly is worth saving as a fae. As a princess, Cricket knows damn well what the fae are and what they've done to others. The protie masks lead me to believe her "demons" are representative of the fae plant biologists who were responsible for attempting to chemically eradicate our favorite little thorn bush. It's been hinted she was pretty much shut in to insulate her from a lot of what the fae did to others, but what kid hasn't snuck around and found the very things that the parentals attempted to hide from them? What if Cricket, in one of her secret forays outside of her normal range of living space happened upon the lab where they were trying to kill Castela?
The masks are probably to represent the way her keepers seem depersonalize to Calista, you see the mask, not the face underneath. She sees them as all the same, because they all have the same role, to keep her locked away.
It may very well be that Monica is letting things go a little here to see where Cricket's heart really lies... but I don't think Monica is driving this exchange completely at this point either... rather watching to see what gets dredged up and out before stepping in and calming things down...
Or waiting to see if Calista strikes out with her powers under extreme provocation. If she does and what she does may dictate what Monica needs to mentor her in.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Monica would certainly understand a fear of being confined ... "for your own good, dear"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Went looking on Walmart's website and found some stuff perfect for a Wapsi themed Haloween party.

Image Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wasn't the cannabalism disease that struck the fae in the Fairy Meat game supposed to have started around WWI?

Worst fears don't mean they're not yet as bad as they oughta be.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

shadowinthelight wrote:Went looking on Walmart's website and found some stuff perfect for a Wapsi themed Halloween party.
those look like Moon Trooper helmets from the movie "Iron Sky"
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

I am going to go against the common thread and say that these are indeed Cricket's own demons instead of her own worst fears, because those should be the same thing. Since Monica is the Demon Shepard (and not just the girl that can see and hear demons) Cricket is in no real danger.

My guess is that they are cricket's versions of fear and doubt, as in fear of being locked up for her own good, and doubt that she will ever be free.

Our demons tell us stuff all the time and we all know what happens if we don't do exactly as they say......absolutely nothing.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I remember one Halloween I borrowed my real haz-mat gear from work and wore it in the front yard for trick or treat. We hardly had any kids that year for some reason.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

First year i worked the haunted house i simply wore my full face respirator, hard hat and bio hazard gloves. No one wanted to talk or visit, even my own grandsons. I think they are demons to. I went over the tar rapist series and she never went skeletal when summoning fears.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

meisdadoo wrote:I am going to go against the common thread and say that these are indeed Cricket's own demons instead of her own worst fears, because those should be the same thing. Since Monica is the Demon Shepard (and not just the girl that can see and hear demons) Cricket is in no real danger.

My guess is that they are cricket's versions of fear and doubt, as in fear of being locked up for her own good, and doubt that she will ever be free.

Our demons tell us stuff all the time and we all know what happens if we don't do exactly as they say......absolutely nothing.
I agree they are her own demons taking a form to reflect her fear of being caged, not just confinement. To this point in her life everything has been aimed at keeping her safe, or others safe from her. When she was kicked out of her last school she was directly threaten with this type of confinement to force her to agree to a mentor. She has to fear being put back into the life she lived before.

I suspect Monica is driving home the point that Cricket must understand to escape this. Behaving like a Fae with her power will lead to this. Next step is the rescue. Monica will open the way out and let Cricket through after she passes the challenge. Probably questions where Monica digs for Crickets real feelings and understands the meaning of self control. This just underscore the results if Cricket doesn't.

I do hope Monica does not just use this as a threat. Telling Cricket again you screw this chance up this is where you'll end up. That would do more harm than good. Monica already has Cricket subdued and unsure. Pushing that feeling into total submission via fear is not a good thing to do for Cricket. That could break her spirit, or at least the part that wants to be more than the usual Fae.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

zachariah wrote:I do hope Monica does not just use this as a threat. Telling Cricket again you screw this chance up this is where you'll end up. That would do more harm than good. Monica already has Cricket subdued and unsure. Pushing that feeling into total submission via fear is not a good thing to do for Cricket. That could break her spirit, or at least the part that wants to be more than the usual Fae.
Don't think that'll be a problem. M's shown that she has a delicate touch. Her "Good. Own what you do and don't let any bully you if you've done nothing wrong" speech shows that. She could have gone towards "NEVER BE LATE AGAIN" with all the fire and fury of a honked off Jaguar Girl but said her speech with the implied "Helping someone with their homework...that's a good and positive thing."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

meisdadoo wrote:I am going to go against the common thread and say that these are indeed Cricket's own demons instead of her own worst fears, because those should be the same thing. Since Monica is the Demon Shepard (and not just the girl that can see and hear demons) Cricket is in no real danger.

And I'll agree on both points. Those are Calista's demons, not Monica's.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Thank to MST3K, I'm hearing these guys as Jack Palance.
eee

Post by eee »

I join in the belief these are Cricket's demons. They have odd forms, though: shapely adult women, and gas masks. Georgette's demons look like her, and Monica's demons are all over the map. I wonder what molded Calista's demons into this shape?

Let us hope the Princess doesn't know any spells of mass destruction, and unleashes them in her panic.
Skruddgemire wrote:Are you my mummy?
GAH, don't do that! Creepiest Doctor Who episode, EVER! Even the blankety blank stone angels weren't THAT scary! :shock: