Grandma Lily 2014-09-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Grandma Lily 2014-09-03

Post by DilyV »

Awwwwwwwwwwwww
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Re: Grandma Lily 2014-09-03

Post by Dave »

I think it's time for some healing and reconciliation (or "overdue recognition and acknowledgment") for Grandma Lily!

Better late than never! :D :cry: :D

Suzi's hugs seem to be transmissible! ;)
Last edited by Dave on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:I think it's time for some healing and reconciliation (or "overdue recognition and acknowledgment") for Grandma Lily!

I agree... loox like the busty partner hug worked...

JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

DilyV wrote:
Dave wrote:I think it's time for some healing and reconciliation (or "overdue recognition and acknowledgment") for Grandma Lily!

They always do.
Vive la weird!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

At last, catharsis. Lily may have been dreading this conversation, but the bunch of them will be better off for it.

Heh, "Grandma Lily." Now I'm wondering if Kath calls Lily "Mom" or something like that.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

There's someone at the heavily armored secure vault door! la la la...
It's Gramma Lily! la la la....
She's having a massive emotional breakdown! la la la...

Only a small innocent child could get away with that.

I do hope nothing bad happened back the island (Don't come over here/hug/touch me! Leave me alone!) between our two vampires to cause this sudden visit.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I think we saw what went down at the Cafe U-296 except for the bits about Lily going to her kid/grandkids to bond and heal.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

Today's strip got me to wondering what happens to a vampire when somebody (not another vampire) starts really caring about them. The whole alone and forgotten thing turned on its ear, so to speak. How many evolutionary strings is Mister Taylor waving around?
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

JSStryker wrote:
DilyV wrote:

They always do.
Hugs are wonderful. Hugs heal so much hurt. The world needs more hugs!
Dave

Post by Dave »

TOMIB wrote:Today's strip got me to wondering what happens to a vampire when somebody (not another vampire) starts really caring about them. The whole alone and forgotten thing turned on its ear, so to speak. How many evolutionary strings is Mister Taylor waving around?
Complex stuff he weaves, yes!

Perhaps a vampire, who is adequately surrounded by people who know and care for and love her, does evolve? The obvious morph would be into an intensive-care nurse... she could sneak up on helpless people at night, and puncture their veins, and give them blood until they continue to live!

More seriously, though... it's already clear that Wapsiverse vampires don't have to be the "bottom feeders" that the other paranormals seem to pre-judge them as being. Lily and Suzie seem to have grown beyond that stereotype long ago (if, in fact, they ever behaved as selfish bottom-feeders at all), and now even Phix has acknowledged that. So, further growth and change (even radical change) seems possible. We shall see! :)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

The what door now? It must be designed to hold something out. Which makes me wonder why she would just open it so casually? What good is it if the members of the household just treat it like a regular door
Dave wrote: More seriously, though... it's already clear that Wapsiverse vampires don't have to be the "bottom feeders" that the other paranormals seem to pre-judge them as being. Lily and Suzie seem to have grown beyond that stereotype long ago (if, in fact, they ever behaved as selfish bottom-feeders at all), and now even Phix has acknowledged that. So, further growth and change (even radical change) seems possible. We shall see! :)
Given past dialog like Lily saying she ate people smarter than the helicopter crew back in Kath and Atsali's Excellent Adventure would tend to indicate they fed on humans. For paranormals dedicated to keeping humans safe, that would be a big no-no. Same for Susi eating prisoners. Eating the dregs of society pretty much made her a bottom feeder right there. In 5000 years I feel sure Lily has also consumed a better class of human on occasions too numerous to keep track of. No matter what, if she ate only one person a week, that would still add up to hundreds of thousands. Keeping herself going at the cost of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives is pretty much selfish period. Doesn't matter what class of human it was. That's all assuming she didn't eat animals most of the time. We don't even know if they can survive on animals. Indications are they eat only human blood now anyway.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Perscription: Cheeseburger & a Shake, repeate as nessesary.

Addendum, big tumbler of Hemogoblin as a chaser...

Repeate as required.

(where oh wear, has my spell-checker gone?...)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Here you can have the one off my cell. It does have the habit of causing conversations to go off on some wild tangents.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Opus the Poet wrote:I think we saw what went down at the Cafe U-296 except for the bits about Lily going to her kid/grandkids to bond and heal.
Hmm, unsure about that. At the Island Party, McBride was wearing a dark solid-coloured one-piece; last week, she was wearing a polka-dot bikini.
[NOSEBLEEDS INTERNALLY]
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Healing yes. Reconciliation no. What do they have to reconcile about they have never had a falling out or been angry at each other?

overdue recognition and acknowledgment- partially. Lily has known who Kathy was from the adventure. She knew what that meant about her children and her loss. It has just taken a lot of time for the deeper effects to surface and mess with her mind.

Acceptance of the reality is a better term to use. Lily has to accept that some of her children did survive in some sort of fashion. This hopefully will allow her to cope with her grief and into the future. It also gives her something to hold on to that will break her out of that self destructive spiral she is in. She will always feel the loss of the others but can move forward now.

I suspect that once a vampire always a vampire unless you die, or are killed. To die probably requires a deliberate act by the affect vampire like suicide or just wasting away until the body fails. Lily was following that path.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

MerchManDan wrote:At last, catharsis. Lily may have been dreading this conversation, but the bunch of them will be better off for it.

Heh, "Grandma Lily." Now I'm wondering if Kath calls Lily "Mom" or something like that.
At a minimum, Kath had made it clear to Pickle that Lily is her Grandmother, and by inference, she accepts Lily as her mother.

Stand by for teh Emoji avalanche!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Hugbees!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Atomic wrote:At a minimum, Kath had made it clear to Pickle that Lily is her Grandmother, and by inference, she accepts Lily as her mother.
I'd say that's probably a safe bet... though it must have been tough for Kath to fathom. I'm sure her childhood memories were of vastly different parents. It's never easy coming face to face with your origin when it's not what you've believed all your life... but then the truth is never easy. Kath has had a hard life. We haven't seen her childhood, and maybe that's for another day, a week a month or even a year, but from what we have seen of her past it has been quite traumatic.

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

oldmanmickey wrote:Here you can have the one off my cell. It does have the habit of causing conversations to go off on some wild tangents.
Take my autocomplete, please! [rimshot and apologies to Mr. Youngman]
Not only does it insist that "damn" is spelled "darn." it thinks I live in a town called "sawmill."
It's a T-Mobile Concord by ZTE... low-end Android. To call it a piece of shit is a grave insult to fecal matter everywhere.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:

Healing yes. Reconciliation no. What do they have to reconcile about they have never had a falling out or been angry at each other?
I didn't say "reconciliation between Lily and Katherine" - you're right, they've never fought that we know of.

I said "reconciliation... for Lily". I was referring to an internal reconciliation... reconciling her feelings about who she is and what her life has been and meant, with the external reality and the current situation.

If you go back and read Friday's strip, you'll see Lily clinging almost desperately to her old pain and self image... "My daughter... all my children... were taken from me! I died alone! You can't make it better! Don't try! Don't hug me!" Her pain and loss and fatal alone-ness have become a huge part of how she defines herself...

... and that, I think, is why recent events have put her so much into a tailspin. Learning that one of her children did survive, and that she's actually a grandmother (a role she's thought for 5000 years had been ripped out of possibility by murder) has shaken her enforced self-image to the core. Suzie was right... Lily's distress wasn't primarily from fear of the apex paranormals... it's because Lily no longer knows "who she is".

What she has to do now, is reconcile her old persona (ancient vampire, scorned by most paranormals, lost everything that meant anything, roots ripped out, utterly without family) with the new truth (ancient vampire, defended by a demigod, treated with respect by a sphinx, with a living and most worthy human daughter, two lovely adoptive granddaughters, and a welcoming role as grandmother... and perhaps mother?... offered to her). These two realities... old internal self-image, and new external situation... are what Lily must now reconcile. She has to decide "Who is Lily" all over again. She has to decide whether "moving on" would somehow be disloyal to her memory of her three other children who did not survive.

Donaldson's character Thomas Covenant once said "There's only one way to hurt a man who has lost everything. Give him something back, broken." That's not quite what Lily is facing here... but she's been "given something back, changed." Katherine survived, and she's turned out to be a loving and kick-ass-wonderful woman, but is certainly not what Lily's daughter would have been if not for the Nu Gui's plotting. So, it's a tough situation for Lily... she has to reconcile her feelings for the Katherine-who-is, vs. the daughter-who-might-have-been.

There's a new future here for Lily, waiting to be born... but as G'kar wrote, new futures are always born in pain.