Trying To Relax 2014-08-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Stigmartyr762

Re: Trying To Relax 2014-08-26

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Well now! Ole Pablo may have to do a Wapsi After Dark strip. LOL
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Elvis wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Good to see Suzi and Lily again. I'm guessing they got to the island via Library * VORP*.

Edit; Follow up thought. In yesterday's strip, Jet, a mostly vanilla human is completely at ease with Monica, who in turn is one of the most powerful and feared paranormals on earth.

Poor Lily, on the other hand, is terrified of Monica and her friends to the point of being physically ill.

It's interesting that Monica has had both of these worldviews based entirely on what she knew about the people she hung around with.

Lily has been around long enough to have the knowledge and the highly refined sense of self preservation to be afraid.

Jet knows about as much as Monica did when the Golem Girls showed up.

I wonder how long that will last.
One has known M for a long time, the other was brought to the party by her "boss" after seeing her in a fight to the death with a regeneration afterwards.

i think the first will last longer.
Granted, Lily's introduction to Monica was the Jaguar Girl being killed by Phix, regenerating, then facing down Phix on equal terms. So, yeah, given her history and the fact that she's only ever seen Monica as a supernatural heavyweight has her scared of M.

But Jet is in the same boat as Monica was near the beginning of the strip. Monica was just fine bumping around with the likes of Phix and the Golem Girls. Then Phix had ribs for dinner, and Monica realized she was a mouse tweaking the tails of lions, at least before her upgrade.

Then there's Tina, one of Monica's closest friends, who has been with her through all her transitions. Tina has realized just what Monica's powers and duties as a Demon Shepard entail, and how it could affect her. Because of that, she's afraid and nervous around one of her oldest friends

I figure it's only a matter of time before Jet has an experience that makes her realize just how powerful M and her friends are and it will scare the bejeebus out of her.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DilyV wrote: Suzi on the other hand doesn't seem to have lost her joie de Verve... her lust for 'life' (even though she's well, dead.)
I think your autocorrect went and played tricks on you... It's supposed to be "Joie de Vivre".
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I wish Lily didn't smoke. It looks bad.
True, but it's not like smoking is going to kill her.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sidhekin wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Vampire + pool boy. I don't think I've seen that one.
Try vamp + pool boy.

Go on, google it. 8-)
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. :geek:

.... :|
OK, let's try an Image Search:

Something that made me laugh highlighted in red. However, nothing overtly titillating.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:Rule 34 has a lot of things. And most of them you really don't need to know...
Rule 34 has all things. That's part of the rule.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:Lily isn't terrified of Monica. IN awe of but not terrified.

HUH?! How can you think that? She flat out said that she vomited three times before showing up to the island... and I'll bet dollars-to-donuts, that if she thought she could get away with NOT going to the island at all, she would have tried it, but she was ALSO terrified of the consequences of her "snubbing" the invite by the JG, the Golem Girls, The Sage of the Forest, the Head Librarian(s) AND various high-ranking personnel in MIB, and what effect that would have on her unlife-expectancy if those individuals got pissed at her for NOT showing up... yeah right... Dang Right she showed up even though she was scared out of her mind to be there... we also saw this way back when she SAW Monica for the first time out on the sidewalk. she already knew that she was the Jaguar Girl, and even then, she was in absolutely ZERO rush to talk to her... AND she even tried (unsuccessfully mind you) to talk Suzie into leaving the scene and NOT talking to Monica as well... SO... No, you don't pull that kind of attitude if you are "IN AWE" of someone, you do it because you are darn-right TERRIFIED of that person, and want nothing to do with them, nor their nearby associates...
She been around long enough to know exactly how other para's regard vampires and treat them. Effectively she is near the bottom of the food chain and has managed to survive 5000 years of being there. That takes some doing doesn't it. So now she looks at the powerful and knows that being small and unnoticed is a good thing. SO she is cautious around the powerful and knows any of them could squash her at any time. But she is not afraid of them as they are NOT actively hunting them. It is like dealing with snakes, or spiders. You know they can bite you so you leave them alone. But if you have to deal with one you know how to do it safely.
I'll definitely agree with you that surviving for 5K+ years IS a feat rarely encountered, but being hunted or not being hunted, either way, as she said to Suzie, all it would take is an accident for the powerful to turn the vamps into, how did she say it... oh, yeah... "we'd be s%$ stains in skivvies" again, you don't say things like that if you are "in awe" of someone... and apparently the only EFFECTIVE way to "deal with" Sphinx's (i'm guessing it's NOT just a personal quirk of Phix herself, but a symptom of a stereotype of Sphinxkind in general) and probably other paranormals higher up the chain as well, is to just flat-out AVOID THEM like the Plague!!! and then she goes and gets invited to a private island get-away with quite a few APEX paranormals around, without any option to get out of attendance, yeah she's not feeling very *safe* at that moment, i assure you...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
illiad

Post by illiad »

Boxilar wrote: {{... snippetey snip!...}}
Then there's Tina, one of Monica's closest friends, who has been with her through all her transitions. Tina has realized just what Monica's powers and duties as a Demon Shepard entail, and how it could affect her. Because of that, she's afraid and nervous around one of her oldest friends

I figure it's only a matter of time before Jet has an experience that makes her realize just how powerful M and her friends are and it will scare the bejeebus out of her.
yeah! cannot wait for answers... how is bia, is someone going to help Tina about her 'dream' ??? :P

oh well, back to today..... :roll:

MerchManDan: I think you have 'safe search' on... I see a lot more... but I prefer vamp girls myself! :D
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Something i just noticed in that sequence that i didn't notice the first time througjh - Bia is Tina's great-grandmother?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Something i just noticed in that sequence that i didn't notice the first time througjh - Bia is Tina's great-grandmother?
Yep. Apparently, she's really been a busybody... :mrgreen:

Admittedly, that takes quite some planning ahead of time, to work on several branches, like that... Unless she bows out of their descendant's life, like she did with Shelly.

By the way, was Bia affected by the time loop?
Wapsi Wiki wrote:Titans, Sphinxes and other paranormals from beyond Earth are also likely to be unaffected witnesses to the Calendar Machine's Loops.
So if she wasn't affected, did she tinker around during each loop, in case this was the final loop?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
DilyV wrote: Suzi on the other hand doesn't seem to have lost her joie de Verve... her lust for 'life' (even though she's well, dead.)
I think your autocorrect went and played tricks on you... It's supposed to be "Joie de Vivre".
I thought he was refering to her enjoyment of a Michigan rock band done good. Her Joie de Verve Pipe...

(I'ma put a copy of the 10 song version of "I've Suffered a Head Injury" in the Pun Jar's audio section...)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

scantrontb wrote:
zachariah wrote:Lily isn't terrified of Monica. IN awe of but not terrified.

HUH?! How can you think that? She flat out said that she vomited three times before showing up to the island
Which had to do with the entire group of predators, especially Phix and her previous habit of serving diced Vamp. I'm guessing Lily finds Monica the least terrifying, given that she saved them from getting Phix-o-Maticed in the Library.
we also saw this way back when she SAW Monica for the first time out on the sidewalk. she already knew that she was the Jaguar Girl, and even then, she was in absolutely ZERO rush to talk to her... AND she even tried (unsuccessfully mind you) to talk Suzie into leaving the scene and NOT talking to Monica as well
Again, that wasn't due to Monica herself but her nearby associates. One of whom scared off Suzie.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Something i just noticed in that sequence that i didn't notice the first time througjh - Bia is Tina's great-grandmother?
And that basically makes Shelly Tina's grandaunt.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Rule 34 has a lot of things. And most of them you really don't need to know...
Rule 34 has all things. That's part of the rule.
Rule 34 on Rule 34!
eee

Post by eee »

lake_wrangler wrote:

Admittedly, that takes quite some planning ahead of time, to work on several branches, like that... Unless she bows out of their descendant's life, like she did with Shelly.
Perhaps not. Start one family, live a normal lifetime, age, and appear to die: Then return to a youthful appearance, go off, start another family, do the same thing. Do that often enough and you'll have millions of descendants, any one of whom might be the right one.
lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, was Bia affected by the time loop?
Wapsi Wiki wrote:Titans, Sphinxes and other paranormals from beyond Earth are also likely to be unaffected witnesses to the Calendar Machine's Loops.
So if she wasn't affected, did she tinker around during each loop, in case this was the final loop?
I would assume Bia has been trying different things, like Jin, each time loop to see if she could fulfill the prophecy and change things. I doubt they were coordinating their actions, or that Jin even knew Bia was on the field, so to speak.

I'm still rather surprised that, even after 80,000 years of emotional growth, Shelly can forgive Bia for not just pretending to die to get out of her life, but the WAY she pretended to die, that left Shelly with massive guilt for years. Maybe Connie absorbed a lot of that rage, and that's one of the reasons she beat Bia black and blue, child form or not, when she showed up.

I would hope someday we get a fuller explanation about what she was trying to do with Tina before she was age retrogressed.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

eee wrote: I'm still rather surprised that, even after 80,000 years of emotional growth, Shelly can forgive Bia for not just pretending to die to get out of her life, but the WAY she pretended to die, that left Shelly with massive guilt for years. Maybe Connie absorbed a lot of that rage, and that's one of the reasons she beat Bia black and blue, child form or not, when she showed up.
I think you're spot-on. Connie, I think, absorbed all of Shelly's guilt while she was in the Time Forest. Of course, Connie's very creation was due to Bia disappearing, so there's that as well.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

eee wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

Perhaps not. Start one family, live a normal lifetime, age, and appear to die: Then return to a youthful appearance, go off, start another family, do the same thing. Do that often enough and you'll have millions of descendants, any one of whom might be the right one.
That's what I'm saying. It takes planning, if you are trying to manipulate the results, so as to live the right amount of time with one, "die", go to the next one, etc.