Hold Down The Fort 2014-08-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: Hold Down The Fort 2014-08-25

Post by My2Cents »

kingklash wrote:
jeffepp wrote:And no one has speculated on M and Jet, yet. And Monica is very blushy there.
Now, now. In order to carry a passenger, contact is needed to extend the poit! field. Besides, who wouldn't blush when a supermodel hugs up on you?
Not necessary for Monica. One of her unique powers appears to be 'poit others'.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/three-idiots/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/just-getting-by/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Strawberrycocoa wrote:Monica and Kevin broke up. It was mentioned off-handedly in dialogue sometime back, and as far as I can recall no explanation for how or why was given and it didn't happen on-screen. We just didn't see Kevin for awhile then Monica mentions that they broke up. I don't recall exactly where she said it but I do recall her being upset and panicked about something else at the time so the subject didn't get dwelled on.
Assume you are referring to this: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nothing-more-than-that/
Which was immediately countered here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nothing-more-than-that/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

oldmanmickey wrote:I could very well be wrong but i just figured they were time traveling. Isn't that the best and cheapest way to get artifacts, buy them new? Just poit back to June 1938, buy a dozen copies of action comics number 1 and they can all retire.
That would explain the missing '38 Dusenburg. Maybe they're having it detailed before the concourse at Pebble Beach?
Strawberrycocoa wrote:Monica and Kevin broke up. It was mentioned off-handedly in dialogue sometime back, and as far as I can recall no explanation for how or why was given and it didn't happen on-screen. We just didn't see Kevin for awhile then Monica mentions that they broke up. I don't recall exactly where she said it but I do recall her being upset and panicked about something else at the time so the subject didn't get dwelled on.
Negawhumpus there, buddy -- She was referring to a school-days crush. Kevin was still with her as of the Atsali/Castella shopping mall trip.

And M finally has a flexible job with which she no longer has to buy excuses on her museum absences. Well done!

Of course, we all wonder what amazing artifacts she's going to find next...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:Whoa! Mega whiplash! I don't believe we have ever changed so abruptly. Maybe when we went to the Time Tree Forest and met Shellinx for the first time was as great, I don't know. Monica quit the museum, She running the antique shop directly now. She's hired, or taken on Jet as a partner. Yet another new character who must be a paranormal as well to even know of the quantum phone and is not phased by the about to happen poit. And why does one need a quantum phone? You can make trans-atlantic phone calls on regular cell phones too. Yeah, it's expensive but what must a quantum phone cost per minute!? Of course they may be cheerfully provided free by MIB. A phone to phone connection made through the nearest wormhole anywhere in the galaxy. Maybe anywhere in any known dimension for that matter.

Gad, that third panel is so full of things unspoken. Has Monica gone bi or is she just embarrassed because Jet is hugging her in such a manner so as to be poited with her? That should not really be necessary though. When she panic poited Jin along with her from one of the candidate islands Jin was not even in contact with Monica. This is not the only panel that bespeaks of a possible intimate relationship between them. Still, it may also be that Jet is more interested in Monica than vice versa. Monica seemed to be pretty hard-core hetro heretofore, so any deep feelings may be pretty much one sided. Monica also doesn't strike me as the type to cheat on her steady either. Of course, this being the Day of Great and Terrible Wapsi Whiplash, we could find out it's over between her and Kevin as well. Him being merely mortal and all that. They could agree that, her being dangerous and in dangerous company, not to mention immortal, it would be best for both to go their separate ways.
When she panic poited Jin they were in an embrace when they hit the floor in Monica's place. Monica grabbed Jin in mid poit to save them. So close physical contact does help. The only time she just poited people without contact was when Tina and Shelly were beating down on Nudge and Monica interrupted them. When angry she can just poit people. She also did it to Shelly and Bud when she dropped them nude in the middle of a mall. Again anger played a part in it.

I really agree with major whiplash. The changes are logical progression for Monica as she grows into her powers and the paranormal world. But the getting there was real abrupt. This new profession does offer Monica a lot of pluses though.

1. Doesn't need to account for her time. Can go and do what she wants, or needs to do, without worrying about being fired.
2. Greater freedom of action. As a small business owner she does not stand out from the crowd. As long as she doesn't attract attention people will not notice what she is doing.
3. She can hide extra income from the paranormal world in the sales from the store. This gives her a further layer of cover.
4. This business can be passed down to herself as she has to change identities. She's immortal now and has to think of things like that.

A last point that Monica does need to be careful about. If she is buying antiques overseas I hope she imports them legally into the store. If she poits them back with her eventually the authorities will notice. So will other dealers.

To others: Jet is clearly an investor, not a partner or an employee. She is going with M on an excursion to help select products for the store. I sure Monica retains full control of the store.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Strawberrycocoa wrote: Monica and Kevin broke up.
No they did not. She was talking about her HS boyfriend. It was when she was being asked to talk to Atsali for the first time.

As for the rest of the strip: OWWWWW OWW OOWWWW OWIE FOTHERMUCK!!!!!!!

And good catch on that second person mentioned by name thing.

Did I hear something about pastries in the confusion corner?.....
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Taking on small business ownership is a much better fit for Monica's new roll. Small businesses can be time absorbing, but if you sell high ticket items and have someone to cover for you, like Tiffany, you can earn a years living in a handful of sales and end up with acres of time. I wonder if there is a back room full of paranormal items only for sale to paranormals.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote: When she panic poited Jin they were in an embrace when they hit the floor in Monica's place. Monica grabbed Jin in mid poit to save them. So close physical contact does help. The only time she just poited people without contact was when Tina and Shelly were beating down on Nudge and Monica interrupted them. When angry she can just poit people. She also did it to Shelly and Bud when she dropped them nude in the middle of a mall. Again anger played a part in it.
Yes, but the second time (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/crack-it-open/) they were stumbling drunk and on opposite sides of the mine. Although they end up in what looks like an embrace upon landing, I don't see how Monica would have had time to grab Jin. Especially with a huge explosion force between them. The embrace must have been a result of one landing on top of the other and not an initial embrace. In any event, it's not really important.
zachariah wrote: 3. She can hide extra income from the paranormal world in the sales from the store. This gives her a further layer of cover.
4. This business can be passed down to herself as she has to change identities. She's immortal now and has to think of things like that.
Why would she want to hide money from them? Also, they can easily know about the shop and how much she makes from it if they need to.

The handing down thing would be tricky. She can't shape shift, AFAWK. Other than to JG form that is. She could claim to be her own daughter I suppose, but she would still have to change her looks somewhat. Doing so for years would get old fast though. OTOH, I suppose everyone else who knows her would eventually die off, so she could pull it off several times.
oldmanmickey wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:I could very well be wrong but i just figured they were time traveling. Isn't that the best and cheapest way to get artifacts, buy them new? Just poit back to June 1938, buy a dozen copies of action comics number 1 and they can all retire.
But then they won't hold up to testing on how old they are supposed to be and be declared fakes if they just bring them back. They would need to be stashed somewhere safe in the past and hope they are still there in the present for pickup.
go to the bank, get a lock box put them in it, come back present day say grandpa left me this lock box and viola problem solved.
If there were that many of those comics suddenly on the market, the cost of each would be driven way down. You would have to wait at least a year after the current one sold, then bring one on the market to get a high price. Then do it again years later. No get rich quick scheme there. And that's assuming they passed the age tests. Even a very well preserved comic would show certain signs of age. Of course, someone might say they upgraded the preservation method over the years so the copy would be in better shape than simple methods usually used and judging proper age could be more difficult.

Antiques would be even harder to do using a similar method (store them in some place you know will not be looked in for a long time). Americans consider "antique" to be from as late as the 40s or, these days, even the 50s.Thing is, they were going to Europe. It's my understanding that antiques in Europe start at around 300-400 years old. Something from the 40s is hardly broken in well yet and in common everyday use. It's also quite common for many to live in apartments and houses hundreds of years old. Housing costs are just ridiculous in Europe. They're rapidly getting that way in America as well. But I digress.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Strawberrycocoa

Post by Strawberrycocoa »

My2Cents, Atomic, and jwhouk:

Oh woops, it seems I missed a strip because I remember (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nothing-more-than-that/) as being where I got the idea Kevin and Monica broke up, but I don't remember (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/called-me-psycho/) at ALL. Thanks for the corrections, sorry for giving out bad info.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Swedish Chef wrote:...Southern France?.

My guess would be either Cathars or paleolithic, Cro Magnon, age.

... Or both
I'd say Glozel, but it's more central France.
Soccer Blue!
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
illiad

Post by illiad »

Thor wrote:
jeffepp wrote:And no one has speculated on M and Jet, yet. And Monica is very blushy there.
The last time this came up (the big ol M-Jet smooch), Mr. Taylor can into the forum and said quite plainly that Monica didn't swing that way, and that the kiss was a situational event based on the circumstances, not a revelation of orientation.

And unless we get canon refutation of that in the storyline or Word O' God saying otherwise, I think we can be safe in assuming that is innocent friendly girls, and not anything more prurient. (NTTAWWT)

The only thing that seems a little odd to me is that fact that Jette is (was?) a model, which would make her about 5'10", and the cast page says that Monica is 4'10". That doesn't quite look like a full foot of height difference to me.
welll.. it could be a 'big hug' that lifted her off her feet and squeezed her, causing the blush... :shock: :oops:
and note the angle of their heads!! :P
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:
zachariah wrote: 3. She can hide extra income from the paranormal world in the sales from the store. This gives her a further layer of cover.
Why would she want to hide money from them? Also, they can easily know about the shop and how much she makes from it if they need to.
I don't think he meant to keep paranormals from finding out about it - i suspect that the meaning was to launder money that comes from her paranormal involvement to keep it from coming to the notice of Dark or Evil Forces

Like the IRS.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
I don't think he meant to keep paranormals from finding out about it - i suspect that the meaning was to launder money that comes from her paranormal involvement to keep it from coming to the notice of Dark or Evil Forces

Like the IRS.
Or not so much hide the money as to give it a non-paranormal "origin" that stands up to some inspection.
Aed

Post by Aed »

One of the nice things about Monica's background in science and her love of finding natural explanations for things is that she has a bit of an edge in "laundering" paranormal activity and giving it a cover of normalcy. She may, in time, give items and activities of paranormal origin several layers of normalcy so that they can withstand both casual and more careful examination. Similar to what a stage magician does with his or her special effects.

While Monica has the MIB watching her back, she will probably have several other government agencies watching her because of her business. As has already been noted, an antique shop makes a good cover to importing contraband and laundering money so any government agency concerned with such matters will be watching for anything that might indicate "funny business" is under way.

I am also trying to figure out how much time has elapsed since our last visit with Monica and Jet. Has it just been a few days, weeks, months or even a year or so. Is this something that is occurring in the present (2014) or are we getting a flash back of sorts?

Where does this story arc leave Princess Calista Foxglove? Has Monica finished with her intervention, guidance, and training? Is this happening parallel to the other story arc? Was Jet's demon alarm clock session a prelude to this story arc or was it a brief story unto itself?

Is Castel Enora Gilchrist grounded until the heat death of the universe? :o

Is this even real or are we privy to someone's dreams? :?

I shall now join the party in confusion corner. I may even follow Tiffany's example and curl up with a good book. I shall add a cup of tea and possibly a cat or two.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Come to think of it, the number of artifact-hunting men who perish off-screen is mounting up.
shadowinthelight wrote:R.I.P. Roy. We hardly knew ye.
Doesn't mean we won't be visiting him later on.

But in the meantime, his long rest came with the comfort of knowing that Monica would still have that Shelly-control device he sent her.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Yamara wrote:But in the meantime, his long rest came with the comfort of knowing that Monica would still have that Shelly-control device he sent her.
Ah, he didn't know Amanda took it.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar, and a girl is just a girl.
And sometimes a girl is a cigar!
Aed wrote:Am I the only one wondering what book Tiffany is reading? :roll:
On the Care and Handling of Large South American Jungle Felines, 3rd ed.
MerchManDan wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:R.I.P. Roy. We hardly knew ye.
Man, no kidding! :( I was really hoping to see him featured in the comic, someday.
With this comic's setting, being dead does not necessarily preclude him being featured. . .
oldmanmickey wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:But then they won't hold up to testing on how old they are supposed to be and be declared fakes if they just bring them back. They would need to be stashed somewhere safe in the past and hope they are still there in the present for pickup.
go to the bank, get a lock box put them in it, come back present day say grandpa left me this lock box and viola problem solved.

If I ever gained time travel, I've worked out a plan for going back to Herculaneum around 78 AD and commissioning a large statue of Vulcan, with a pedestal thus labelled, but with the figure showing pointy ears and slanted eyebrows and making a certain specific gesture with his hand, and then leaving the statue somewhere that is only being excavated right now. Just to mess with archaeologists and Trekkies.
ShirouZhiwu wrote:Taking on small business ownership is a much better fit for Monica's new roll. Small businesses can be time absorbing, but if you sell high ticket items and have someone to cover for you, like Tiffany, you can earn a years living in a handful of sales and end up with acres of time. I wonder if there is a back room full of paranormal items only for sale to paranormals.
It will give her more personal freedom, too, which might be handy. Plus make money laundering and smuggling easier. . .
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Pablo states that Roy died of a heart attack while he was visiting the Great Wall of China.
Paul Taylor (Facebook) wrote: It (Roy's death) never happened on camera. Roy was an elderly gentleman who looked a lot like a Persian cat with a big white mustache and beard.
He had an antique shop that Monica liked to go to when she was younger, and the shop wasn't doing as well as it once had. Monica used some of
her money from the lawsuit of the hospital to buy half of the shop and get things moving again. Roy was able to have young college employees,
and he could travel to find new items for the store. He passed away while touring the Great Wall of China. He died with a smile on his face.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:If I ever gained time travel, I've worked out a plan for going back to Herculaneum around 78 AD and commissioning a large statue of Vulcan, with a pedestal thus labelled, but with the figure showing pointy ears and slanted eyebrows and making a certain specific gesture with his hand, and then leaving the statue somewhere that is only being excavated right now. Just to mess with archaeologists and Trekkies.
Best be careful with that sort of idea. The Causality Police get very cranky when you start introducing anachronisms. The risk of a merry-go-round time loop is rather severe.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Catawampus wrote:If I ever gained time travel, I've worked out a plan for going back to Herculaneum around 78 AD and commissioning a large statue of Vulcan, with a pedestal thus labelled, but with the figure showing pointy ears and slanted eyebrows and making a certain specific gesture with his hand, and then leaving the statue somewhere that is only being excavated right now. Just to mess with archaeologists and Trekkies.
"Only Nixon could go to China."
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

AmriloJim wrote: "Only Nixon could go to China."
Then how did all those other people get there?