Hold Down The Fort 2014-08-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Akamar

Re: Hold Down The Fort 2014-08-25

Post by Akamar »

jeffepp wrote:Or, you know, he's cool with that. As long as he get's to take pictures. He is a professional photographer.
Lol, wouldn't that be something?

Mnnah,I just assume the blushy has to do with mutual antique hunting fervor.
tombone

Post by tombone »

I just have to ask - exactly how long was the timeskip between Monica's taking Calista on as a ward and today's strip?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Let's see: fresh coffee, hot water for tea and drinks, check date codes on pastries, vending packages, and refrigerated goods, replace stale popcorn, check beer and soft drink carboys, fresh ice, vacuum upholstery, clean glasses out, plump pillows, check sound proofing on door to screaming balcony, clean white boards, refill headache remedies, neck braces, folding chairs for overflow crowd, wipe down head banging wall...

The confusion corner is ready for this weeks developments. (I'll be in the closet if anyone needs me. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I feel like i am missing about 2 weeks of comics here o_O
Thor

Post by Thor »

jeffepp wrote:And no one has speculated on M and Jet, yet. And Monica is very blushy there.
The last time this came up (the big ol M-Jet smooch), Mr. Taylor can into the forum and said quite plainly that Monica didn't swing that way, and that the kiss was a situational event based on the circumstances, not a revelation of orientation.

And unless we get canon refutation of that in the storyline or Word O' God saying otherwise, I think we can be safe in assuming that is innocent friendly girls, and not anything more prurient. (NTTAWWT)

The only thing that seems a little odd to me is that fact that Jette is (was?) a model, which would make her about 5'10", and the cast page says that Monica is 4'10". That doesn't quite look like a full foot of height difference to me.
Last edited by Thor on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I could very well be wrong but i just figured they were time traveling. Isn't that the best and cheapest way to get artifacts, buy them new? Just poit back to June 1938, buy a dozen copies of action comics number 1 and they can all retire.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

oldmanmickey wrote:I could very well be wrong but i just figured they were time traveling. Isn't that the best and cheapest way to get artifacts, buy them new? Just poit back to June 1938, buy a dozen copies of action comics number 1 and they can all retire.
But then they won't hold up to testing on how old they are supposed to be and be declared fakes if they just bring them back. They would need to be stashed somewhere safe in the past and hope they are still there in the present for pickup.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

shadowinthelight wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:I could very well be wrong but i just figured they were time traveling. Isn't that the best and cheapest way to get artifacts, buy them new? Just poit back to June 1938, buy a dozen copies of action comics number 1 and they can all retire.
But then they won't hold up to testing on how old they are supposed to be and be declared fakes if they just bring them back. They would need to be stashed somewhere safe in the past and hope they are still there in the present for pickup.
go to the bank, get a lock box put them in it, come back present day say grandpa left me this lock box and viola problem solved.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Timotheus wrote:Let's see: fresh coffee, hot water for tea and drinks, check date codes on pastries, vending packages, and refrigerated goods, replace stale popcorn, check beer and soft drink carboys, fresh ice, vacuum upholstery, clean glasses out, plump pillows, check sound proofing on door to screaming balcony, clean white boards, refill headache remedies, neck braces, folding chairs for overflow crowd, wipe down head banging wall...

The confusion corner is ready for this weeks developments. (I'll be in the closet if anyone needs me. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
For once, I'mma gonna join folks in confusion corner. Pablo has broken me' brain.
bdgoodfriend

Post by bdgoodfriend »

She's reading the Pickers episode guide. :mrgreen:
Danielle hasn't change much, but Mike and Frank? :P :P :P :P :P
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Timotheus wrote:Let's see: fresh coffee, hot water for tea and drinks, check date codes on pastries, vending packages, and refrigerated goods, replace stale popcorn, check beer and soft drink carboys, fresh ice, vacuum upholstery, clean glasses out, plump pillows, check sound proofing on door to screaming balcony, clean white boards, refill headache remedies, neck braces, folding chairs for overflow crowd, wipe down head banging wall...

I'll bring a pallet of Chocodiles! And a angry dome for overflow crowds from the balcony.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

But they should not take them home with them directly but store them somewhere so they can age (action comics number 1 fresh from the print would not be worth much i think ;)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Well, there is (or was - don't know if it's closed yet) a "mint copy" of Action #1 going for somewhere north of a million (last i heard) on eBay. Even if it's a publisher's copy - the publishers used to receive bundles of each issue, some copies of which might have been put away somewhere away from light and forgotten - "mint" is pretty scary to consider after seventy-six years.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Well, there is (or was - don't know if it's closed yet) a "mint copy" of Action #1 going for somewhere north of a million (last i heard) on eBay. Even if it's a publisher's copy - the publishers used to receive bundles of each issue, some copies of which might have been put away somewhere away from light and forgotten - "mint" is pretty scary to consider after seventy-six years.
I was just reading earlier today that a recent bid for one was 3.2 million.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm not going to look for it right now, but at one point, Monica discounted time travel and stated that whatever was found was therefore not seeded from future people... I doubt she would have found time traveling since then. Not without it being mentioned somewhere in comic.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Well, there is (or was - don't know if it's closed yet) a "mint copy" of Action #1 going for somewhere north of a million (last i heard) on eBay. Even if it's a publisher's copy - the publishers used to receive bundles of each issue, some copies of which might have been put away somewhere away from light and forgotten - "mint" is pretty scary to consider after seventy-six years.
I was just reading earlier today that a recent bid for one was 3.2 million.
That would be the one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Swedish Chef

Post by Swedish Chef »

...Southern France?.

My guess would be either Cathars or paleolithic, Cro Magnon, age.

... Or both
Lurk lurk lurk!
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

One of Jet's newly freed demons projecting her ideal future? Other then that I got nothing *Grabs a case of Twizzlers and heads for confusion island*
Strawberrycocoa

Post by Strawberrycocoa »

KnightDelight wrote:Monica seemed to be pretty hard-core hetro heretofore, so any deep feelings may be pretty much one sided. Monica also doesn't strike me as the type to cheat on her steady either. Of course, this being the Day of Great and Terrible Wapsi Whiplash, we could find out it's over between her and Kevin as well. Him being merely mortal and all that. They could agree that, her being dangerous and in dangerous company, not to mention immortal, it would be best for both to go their separate ways.
Monica and Kevin broke up. It was mentioned off-handedly in dialogue sometime back, and as far as I can recall no explanation for how or why was given and it didn't happen on-screen. We just didn't see Kevin for awhile then Monica mentions that they broke up. I don't recall exactly where she said it but I do recall her being upset and panicked about something else at the time so the subject didn't get dwelled on.

As to the hug-blush, my first thought was simply that it's part of Wapsi's long cheesecake tradition. It's a bit close of a hug for "just friends" if they were real life people, but in Wapsi's context my vote is cheesecake.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Tiff looks as if she looks up to Tina for Hair tips... LOL

I think maybe Monica might be a little blushy because she remembers the kiss. I know lots of girls who are "strictly dickly" that blush in close proximity to other girls in situations like this. They're not interested in other girls 'that way', but the closeness still gives them a brief thrill. It happens, it's human nature...

Still and all, Monica did react kind of badly in reality to something that happened in M-space. Something that was so real to her that she had thought it was reality. Remember, Tina told M after her outburst that Jet never touched her, though in M Space, she clearly did more than touch her... I have to wonder though... the human psyche does strange things to a person under extreme circumstances. What caused Monica to experience that?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.