Coming Soon 2014-08-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
oldmanmickey

Re: Coming Soon 2014-08-22

Post by oldmanmickey »

TheOtherOne wrote: Hey, I would love to be wrong in my prediction. It would be grand to enjoy another Paul Taylor look at an alternate universe. However, it seems to me to be pretty obvious it's going to be another big boobed group of females who will slaughter their way through the universe. Either directly or via their actions which will result in someone or some group of beings ending up dead in various ways. Many of them "humorous" no doubt. One of the characters also looks like she will take delight in screwing others over and, according to the caption with her original pinup, eat sentient beings. Does this mean they will go after rat girls/guys? That would be an interesting take on the whole cat and mouse thing at least. Oh, it's going to be bad guys for the most part, but the result will still be the same and many good guys will end up dead as well. For example, they will find themselves in the middle of some local conflict.

In Wapsi, it's very difficult to guess what happens next, that's true. And it may be difficult to guess in the new comic how it will happen next as well. But what will happen as a general theme is not that hard to guess. Paul has already shown he has little aversion to showing bloody scenes of slaughter. Fortunately in Wapsi they are few and far between. The scenes he will show in the new comic may or may not be as bloody, but they will be much more frequent and thrown in for the sheer body count of it all. Were there not the image of a two gun toting catgirl in the pinup, I would not have ventured such a prediction. But, to me anyway, it's pretty clear what will happen. Big-boobed bimbos killing their way along wherever the action takes place. That's what sells. Which is fine. That's what the drooling fan boys like to see. And that's what Paul hopes to cash in on. Again, fine. More power to him. We all need to make an honest buck. At the very least, the no-apologies big boobed bimbos part is blatantly obvious. Some of his pinups have shown his liking for drawing (in his style) killers from other comics either about to kill or posing afterwards. He has even promoted some of them. It's no great leap of imagination to see this new vehicle will be an outlet for him to do that on his own. Those shown killed may be zombies, alien invaders, hordes of monsters, human or cat bad guys, whatever, but it will be shown. and shown much more often. Even if the comic starts out fairly mild, it will end up that way. Especially if it doesn't do well and he (like most of these things) feels like it needs to be amped up.

Again, I would love to be totally wrong. I really would.
Gods i feel like such a looser. I been married 16 years now and i cant predict what my wife is going to do about much of anything. Shoot i cant even predict what i am going to do in the future. I really wish i had this ability, i really do.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Haters gonna hate. B)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

No offense to otherguy, but he can go stick his head in a pig. The webcomic Girls In Space is everything the title promises, and it isn't a big-boobied gore party. In fact, the only large breasted character was a alien hippo woman who tried to rat out the main characters.
I expect the Cat Girls to continue tha same caliber of storytelling we've become spoiled to from Wapsi, and if you think otherwise, are you in for a letdown.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

TheOtherOne wrote:
Aed wrote: I also tried researching spacealiencatgirls.com and found that Paul owns the domain name, but that there are no IP addresses associated with it just yet (at least not publically). We shall just have to wait a little longer. vOv
I see. So this is a new project by Paul. Not one I'll be likely to enjoy though. Judging from the two big guns, unlike Wapsi, this one is probably going to be chock full of wholesale slaughter of one sort or another like pretty much all the rest of that type of comic. Basically cashing in on that particular fanboy fetish. Well, I wish him every success. Just hope it doesn't bleed (no pun intended) over into Wapsi.
What I find deliciously ironic about this is that the two "big guns" in the pic are modeled line for line on the Barretta Neos, a .22 caliber target pistol that is known for its "space gun" looks among .22 target shooters. Hardly hand cannons. The Neos is one of several .22 caliber target guns known for their futuristic looks. High Standard makes a similar looking gun that has been jokingly called the "Buck Wodgers Wightning Quick Wabbit Kiwwer" after a 1930s era Bugs and Elmer cartoon set in the far off year of 1999.
illiad

Post by illiad »

oldmanmickey wrote: Gods i feel like such a looser. I been married 16 years now and i cant predict what my wife is going to do about much of anything. Shoot i cant even predict what i am going to do in the future. I really wish i had this ability, i really do.
hey I wouldn't worry, just make sure you get her flowers, and *show* your love with a romantic dinner now and then.. 8-)
-
They say that if you find out what women's rules are , they then change them all! :o
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Boxilar wrote: What I find deliciously ironic about this is that the two "big guns" in the pic are modeled line for line on the Barretta Neos, a .22 caliber target pistol that is known for its "space gun" looks among .22 target shooters. Hardly hand cannons. The Neos is one of several .22 caliber target guns known for their futuristic looks. High Standard makes a similar looking gun that has been jokingly called the "Buck Wodgers Wightning Quick Wabbit Kiwwer" after a 1930s era Bugs and Elmer cartoon set in the far off year of 1999.
Yes, well, a gun is a gun. I would defy you to stand in front of them and let someone empty them into you and then tell us how they're not much to fear. Not that you could. Especially if loaded with long rifle 22s. Even more so if hollow points. Also less recoil for greater accuracy when shooting multiple times. They aren't power stoppers, but they are still pretty lethal I'm sure. Doesn't the mob like to use 22s for execution-style murders? Or is that just a movie thing?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Without a hit to a large bone or a vital organ, even a hollow-point .22 will pretty much punch cleanly through, leaving a wound that's likely to get infected, since they tend to pick up gunk on the slug, but not immediately life-threatening. I once saw a photo of a man shot several times with a .22 handgun - in court, standing trial for manslaughter after he beat the guy who shot him to death with a shovel that happened to be handy.

A friend of mine took three .25 rounds to his legs in the red-light district of Catania, and thought he'd been shot with a pellet gun of some sort till he looked down and saw the blood on his white pants legs.

Of course, that WAS my buddy Big Mike (i was Little Mike to our friends, - i'm six feet tall and weighed in the neighborhood of 200 pounds in those days...), so that might be a non-representative sample, and the .25 is generally less dangerous than the .22, but...

Anything less than the 9 mm family (parabellum, .380, .38, .357, etc.) is dubious at best and worthless at worst as a man-stopping or killing round in handguns. A .32 auto is quite likely to fail to penetrate a heavy coat with enough force to do any real harm, even at close range.

As a different buddy who had been shot put it, "I'd rather not get shot at all, ifit'sallthesametoyou, but if I gotta, I'll take a .25 or .22 handgun thankyouverymuch."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote:
Boxilar wrote: What I find deliciously ironic about this is that the two "big guns" in the pic are modeled line for line on the Barretta Neos, a .22 caliber target pistol that is known for its "space gun" looks among .22 target shooters. Hardly hand cannons. The Neos is one of several .22 caliber target guns known for their futuristic looks. High Standard makes a similar looking gun that has been jokingly called the "Buck Wodgers Wightning Quick Wabbit Kiwwer" after a 1930s era Bugs and Elmer cartoon set in the far off year of 1999.
Yes, well, a gun is a gun. I would defy you to stand in front of them and let someone empty them into you and then tell us how they're not much to fear. Not that you could. Especially if loaded with long rifle 22s. Even more so if hollow points. Also less recoil for greater accuracy when shooting multiple times. They aren't power stoppers, but they are still pretty lethal I'm sure. Doesn't the mob like to use 22s for execution-style murders? Or is that just a movie thing?
Fair point

.22lr has killed more people, and game, than any other caliber by the simple fact that it is everywhere and has been around for more than a century. Couple that with the fact that it is extremely inexpensive compared to any other caliber and you've got the most popular cartridge on the planet.

And yeah, that mob execution thing is real, partly because there are several cheap "Saturday Night Special" type guns in .22 and the fact that .22 uses soft lead bullets that deform easily making ballistic forensics impossible.

For me it was one more detail that dude was freaking out about in his novela that didn't quite jibe with reality.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

...and because a .22 isn't very loud.

You still need to be accurate/careful with your aim to get a quick/definite kill.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheOtherOne

Post by TheOtherOne »

kingklash wrote:No offense to otherguy, but he can go stick his head in a pig. The webcomic Girls In Space is everything the title promises, and it isn't a big-boobied gore party. In fact, the only large breasted character was a alien hippo woman who tried to rat out the main characters.
I expect the Cat Girls to continue tha same caliber of storytelling we've become spoiled to from Wapsi, and if you think otherwise, are you in for a letdown.
I doubt Girls in Space is a predictor of what Space Alien Cat Girls is going to be like. If Paul was doing both, then yes. I'm going by what Paul has shown us of his upcoming comic and what he has done in the past. Unless we get 'word of god' to say otherwise and Paul has been silent on this topic thus far. Who knows, I may be inadvertently helping to promote the comic by bringing up my points and he doesn't want to squash any speculation. Especially since the title is mentioned in this post, it will show up on Google searches.

Also, the lethality of the guns is not the point. They're clearly not meant to be toy guns such as squirt guns. If they were, then I would see it as indicating the group is just a bunch of fun loving girls. It's the symbology of the image that is important. Same for the implied meaning of the character who apparently eats other sentient beings, and seems to enjoy it. Otherwise overall, it appears to be the usual comic crew. The brain, who appears to also be the enforcer, the shady character, the not too bright muscle, and the happy-go-lucky comic relief.
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Should I get the world's biggest ball of string and the world's biggest spring ready in case they show up?
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

TheOtherOne wrote:
kingklash wrote:No offense to otherguy, but he can go stick his head in a pig. The webcomic Girls In Space is everything the title promises, and it isn't a big-boobied gore party. In fact, the only large breasted character was a alien hippo woman who tried to rat out the main characters.
I doubt Girls in Space is a predictor of what Space Alien Cat Girls is going to be like. If Paul was doing both, then yes. I'm going by what Paul has shown us of his upcoming comic and what he has done in the past. Unless we get 'word of god' to say otherwise and Paul has been silent on this topic thus far. Who knows, I may be inadvertently helping to promote the comic by bringing up my points and he doesn't want to squash any speculation. Especially since the title is mentioned in this post, it will show up on Google searches.

Also, the lethality of the guns is not the point. They're clearly not meant to be toy guns such as squirt guns. If they were, then I would see it as indicating the group is just a bunch of fun loving girls. It's the symbology of the image that is important. Same for the implied meaning of the character who apparently eats other sentient beings, and seems to enjoy it. Otherwise overall, it appears to be the usual comic crew. The brain, who appears to also be the enforcer, the shady character, the not too bright muscle, and the happy-go-lucky comic relief.
Wow. I wish I could see the future like you! You're special!
TheOtherOne

Post by TheOtherOne »

Wapsi wrote: Wow. I wish I could see the future like you! You're special!
Yes, I am. Thank you for noticing. You know, you could settle all this by giving us an overview of how the new comic will be with regards to my predictions.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

TheOtherOne wrote:Yes, I am. Thank you for noticing. You know, you could settle all this by giving us an overview of how the new comic will be with regards to my predictions.
Or you could wait to see before passing judgement like the rest of us. For all we know the armed cat girl could be a crack shot who uses her skills to disarm enemies without killing.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TheOtherOne wrote:
Wapsi wrote: Wow. I wish I could see the future like you! You're special!
Yes, I am. Thank you for noticing. You know, you could settle all this by giving us an overview of how the new comic will be with regards to my predictions.
um... not sure if you're being facetious or are truly clueless, but i don't think he meant it as a compliment...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

TheOtherOne wrote:Yes, I am. Thank you for noticing. You know, you could settle all this by giving us an overview of how the new comic will be with regards to my predictions.
TheOtherOne

Post by TheOtherOne »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Or you could wait to see before passing judgement like the rest of us. For all we know the armed cat girl could be a crack shot who uses her skills to disarm enemies without killing.
Where is the fun in that? I'm merely engaging in the popular sport of second guessing Paul. It goes on in here all the time. I'm simply doing it on a larger scale. I just hope what I said will not affect whatever Paul was going to do in the first place. You know, do something else just to spite me. Yes, I am an only child, why do you ask?
scantrontb wrote: um... not sure if you're being facetious or are truly clueless, but i don't think he meant it as a compliment...
Oh ... right. Uhhh ... yeah. I knew that.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think the Space Alien Cat Girls arch enemy will be the Troll Monster.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

wait i am lost again, will the troll monster be this one or the other one? yea yea, i know where the pun jar is.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Aed

Post by Aed »

jwhouk wrote:I think the Space Alien Cat Girls arch enemy will be the Troll Monster.
I have no idea as to what Paul has in store for us with his new project, but I do know that Trolls can be really nasty creatures -- with the possible exception of the Icelandic Yule Lads.