Side By Side 2014-08-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Aed

Side By Side 2014-08-21

Post by Aed »

Artists? Werewolves?

I suspected that vampires would find a place in the legal profession, but I thought that they might be attornies or IRS auditors. Who knew!? :?

Hey There Lil Red Riding Hood
Last edited by Aed on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
kingklash

Re: 2014-08-21 Side By Side

Post by kingklash »

I get the feeling that Jet's covey aren't exactly typical, compared to what we've seen so far.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Considering that, apparently, vampires in the Wapsiverse are people who died alone and unknown, i can see them in law enforcement, as protectors of the small, helpless, disregarded or ignored.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And now we see some backstory for Pratt and McBride!

Ah, the joys of Sublimation...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

That does explain a few movies
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Can you imagine a werewolf "poetry retreat"?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aed wrote:Artists? Werewolves?
oldmanmickey wrote:That does explain a few movies
The fact that the movies were dogs, doesn't necessarily mean that the screenwriters were ;)

Actually, werewolves-as-artists does make economic sense. Werewolves have an advantage there. Normal human artists pay through the nose for those nice fine-hair paintbrushes... werewolves shed enough to be able to make their own.
My2Cents wrote:Can you imagine a werewolf "poetry retreat"?
Hey, our species produced Bulwer-Lytton. I doubt that even an entire pack of werewolves could possibly generate as much bad imagery as he managed all by himself.
Aed

Re: Side By Side 2014-08-21

Post by Aed »

... and all this time I thought that monkeys were the writers. :o
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute. Phix, who has been around quite a while, considered Vampires and Werewolves to be scum. Low-life beings to be exterminated on sight. Then there was that whole thing with Justin and his former werewolf sadist GF. How would Phix not know about all the good works of those groups? The story was that it took two vampires (who she nearly killed) to show her the good side of the blood suckers, yet Guidance indicates they have been doing those good things for a long time. Seems like Phix would have known that and quit considering them vermin long before Pratt and McBride came on the scene. Don't get me wrong, I like this direction concerning the two groups. A welcome departure from the "waring clans" crap that has been so popular in movies and TV of late, but I smell a significant reboot where those characters are concerned. Either that or Jet's demons know not of what they speak.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:Actually, werewolves-as-artists does make economic sense. Werewolves have an advantage there. Normal human artists pay through the nose for those nice fine-hair paintbrushes... werewolves shed enough to be able to make their own.
Lycanthropy
Has made a bloody wreck of me
Pass my tablets please
Fur always makes me sneeze
How can I live with a werewolf?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

On the other hand the forces of law and order and the Bohemian community do have a long tradition of animosity.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
AnotherFairportfan

KnightDelight wrote:Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute. Phix, who has been around quite a while, considered Vampires and Werewolves to be scum. Low-life beings to be exterminated on sight.
Phix's attitudes were set a long time ago.

And the attitudes of the apex predator to those lower on the food chain may be taken with a grain of salt.

Particularly if those apex predators are dilettantes who arrogate the power of "justice" to themselves and deal it without due process or proper consideration/investigation and vampires are the lowly cops who work within the rules and actually investigate before they make a move.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:And the attitudes of the apex predator to those lower on the food chain may be taken with a grain of salt.
I don't think Phix uses salt. She eats her prey as is.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Timotheus wrote:On the other hand the forces of law and order and the Bohemian community do have a long tradition of animosity.
Hey! As third-generation native-born Bohemian/American, i resemble ... errr ... resent that remark!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute. Phix, who has been around quite a while, considered Vampires and Werewolves to be scum. Low-life beings to be exterminated on sight. Then there was that whole thing with Justin and his former werewolf sadist GF. How would Phix not know about all the good works of those groups? The story was that it took two vampires (who she nearly killed) to show her the good side of the blood suckers, yet Guidance indicates they have been doing those good things for a long time. Seems like Phix would have known that and quit considering them vermin long before Pratt and McBride came on the scene. Don't get me wrong, I like this direction concerning the two groups. A welcome departure from the "waring clans" crap that has been so popular in movies and TV of late, but I smell a significant reboot where those characters are concerned. Either that or Jet's demons know not of what they speak.
Phix is a protector of humans, so the feeling for any human predator is natural. And compared to demons it is like swatting mosquitoes for her. Her feelings were also developed in the distant past, before she was attached to the library, and she probably hasn’t experienced the changes (reading about them doesn’t count!).

There is also a time element at play, how long have paranormals had formal training to pass for human? Probably not much more than a century. Probably also started in the USA, because we still had a lot of sparsely populated areas for them to hide in when the idea of universal schooling took root. Passing for human gives paranormals alternative lifestyle to explore. Vampires going into law enforcement makes sense based on their feeding requirements. The were population would have gone for more reclusive lifestyles (and many artists and writers are recluses), but most predatory ones originally were probably ranchers and trappers, and more omnivorous ones (like werebears) as farmers (it would be interesting to know more about the bear girl’s grandparents).
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

oldmanmickey wrote:That does explain a few movies
Teen Wolf, for instance.
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

Werewolves as artists WOULD explain some of James Brown's lyrics.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

The relevant comic eludes me, but I recall Officer Justin mentioning a werewolf he once dated. Not sure if her occupation came up, though.
Aed wrote:... and all this time I thought that monkeys were the writers. :o
"It was the best of times, it was the BLURST OF TIMES!??!" :x
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Turns out M. Knight Shyamalan is a werewolf. What a twist!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

My2Cents wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute. Phix, who has been around quite a while, considered Vampires and Werewolves to be scum. Low-life beings to be exterminated on sight. Then there was that whole thing with Justin and his former werewolf sadist GF. How would Phix not know about all the good works of those groups? The story was that it took two vampires (who she nearly killed) to show her the good side of the blood suckers, yet Guidance indicates they have been doing those good things for a long time. Seems like Phix would have known that and quit considering them vermin long before Pratt and McBride came on the scene. Don't get me wrong, I like this direction concerning the two groups. A welcome departure from the "waring clans" crap that has been so popular in movies and TV of late, but I smell a significant reboot where those characters are concerned. Either that or Jet's demons know not of what they speak.
There is also a time element at play, how long have paranormals had formal training to pass for human? Probably not much more than a century. Probably also started in the USA, because we still had a lot of sparsely populated areas for them to hide in when the idea of universal schooling took root. Passing for human gives paranormals alternative lifestyle to explore. Vampires going into law enforcement makes sense based on their feeding requirements. The were population would have gone for more reclusive lifestyles (and many artists and writers are recluses), but most predatory ones originally were probably ranchers and trappers, and more omnivorous ones (like werebears) as farmers (it would be interesting to know more about the bear girl’s grandparents).
I'd also go for the time element, but for a different reason... up until the CM got destroyed by our gang, Phix has been essentially locked up in solitary confinement for the last 80K+ years in the Library, yes she had time off to try and find Nudge (and get it on with Shelly's G'Pa) but for the most part she ignored everything else because she REALLY wanted to get Nudge... SOOOO... she probably missed the fact that Vamps have reformed from their alleged former ways. as for the Were population, why would she know about that just from being in the Library? did any of those poets sign there works with "Oh, Hey, I'm a Werewolf!!"... no, therefore she wouldn't know that they were a Were at all just because of her being the Librarian. as for Justin's EX... if i remember correctly, Hitler was supposed to have been a Vegetarian, and treated his wife very well... that didn't stop him from causing the Holocaust though... so your argument is invalid, just because she was a Were, doesn't mean she couldn't be um, a bit kinky in the bedroom as an Artist. and of course both of those Demons used the key words "MOST" and "TEND" that means that it is not "ALL" of them... and like Justin and Shelly said, he was hanging with the fringe crowd, by definition, they are the oddball outliers of the group statistics.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac