Not Tough 2014-08-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Not Tough 2014-08-01

Post by jwhouk »

Poor Calista.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
shadowinthelight

Re: Not Tough 2014-08-01

Post by shadowinthelight »

So Castella's stomping did some good. It cracked open Cricket's tough outer shell.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Aed

Post by Aed »

An interesting cliff hanger. Calista confesses that she's a dork, in the presence of other dorks. I see a lot of new friends in her future. Now is the time for healing.

Upon rereading today's installment, I notice that Calista mentions that she collects plastic ponies. Might she be a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic? If so, she may have something in common with Atsali.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And I see the web site is back up, thank goodness and the FSM.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Aed wrote:Upon rereading today's installment, I notice that Calista mentions that she collects plastic ponies. Might she be a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic? If so, she may have something in common with Atsali.

:roll: This is Paul's world after all. ;)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Aed wrote:Upon rereading today's installment, I notice that Calista mentions that she collects plastic ponies. Might she be a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic? If so, she may have something in common with Atsali.
Paul does like to slip in MLP:FiM references, but Calista said plastic "horses", not ponies. Regular horses are not an unheard of toy for kids to collect, especially by girls (judging by my observation they seem to be more common in stores' girl toy isles). That doesn't discount the possibility Cricket is a pegasister but right now it is just speculation that she misspoke.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yes, it's true: Pablo is a Brony. ;)

A note to our site operator: maybe we need to get MLP:FIM emoticons?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, we did't see Katherine kneel down to apologize to Calista, but I guess we got the next best thing. And Atsali didn't talk down to her, but really got down to her level, as best she could. Nice touch.
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:Well, we did't see Katherine kneel down to apologize to Calista, but I guess we got the next best thing. And Atsali didn't talk down to her, but really got down to her level, as best she could. Nice touch.
Dont. break. the. MOM. voice.... :roll: Kath is *obviously* taking Castela away....
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

So we finally meet the real Cricket. Pretending to be something you are not is never a good idea. Eventually you will run into a situation you cannot cope with the way your faking it calls for. I think being herself in the long run will accomplish a lot more than carrying on with the Fae bad ass will. Though a compassionate Fae is a bit hard to accept. Looking into mythology you cannot find a Fae that was this human in feelings.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
eee

Post by eee »

Aw. Let's all (except Castela, who might intentionally pop her head off) hug and reassure the Fae...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

eee wrote:Aw. Let's all (except Castela, who might intentionally pop her head off) hug and reassure the Fae...
Now I'm imagining Euryale hugging Calista... five-inch Calista, that is...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:So we finally meet the real Cricket. Pretending to be something you are not is never a good idea. Eventually you will run into a situation you cannot cope with the way your faking it calls for. I think being herself in the long run will accomplish a lot more than carrying on with the Fae bad ass will. Though a compassionate Fae is a bit hard to accept. Looking into mythology you cannot find a Fae that was this human in feelings.
Or it might be "Fae bullshit'' (to use Monica's term) to gain sympathy. Either way, Atsali may need to talk to Monica, though not immediately, Kathryn will undoubtedly have filled Monica in on Castela's tantrum, so Calista will be getting an easy day if she doesn't mess up in the afternoon.

Atsali can give Calista a reward however by offering to accompany her to Monica after school, just to provide a friendly face for her second meeting.

Still have to see how Atsali's relationship Monica effects the bear girls and their vision of the Jaguar Girl. Probably do good all around. Does this beating by Castela, and Calista's confession and failure to take it out on all around, qualify as the 'up hill battle' for the friendship of the bear girls?

And we still don't have the back story on the 'Tuna' girls. I think thier behavior is a bit more than simple fear of Fae.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Well, we did't see Katherine kneel down to apologize to Calista, but I guess we got the next best thing. And Atsali didn't talk down to her, but really got down to her level, as best she could. Nice touch.
Dont. break. the. MOM. voice.... :roll: Kath is *obviously* taking Castela away....
Of course, she is. Castela is no longer in Atsali's arms. That was a given.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That's a beautiful little touch of tears in Atsali's eyes in the last frame.

I'm strongly reminded of one of Atsali's own "I'm tough! I can take it!" moments of bravado and loneliness.

I think Atsali may be flashing back on that experience, too. She and Cricket have a lot more in common than might be visible at first. They've both felt they had to appear tougher, more adult, and less vulnerable than they truly are.

And, just as Atsali has been troubled by her Siren heritage (and what it means about how people will perceive and prejudge her) we learn that Cricket isn't a stereotypical Fae and has her own conflicts about that. Sisters under the skin (or is it "exoskeleton" in Cricket's case?)

Bravo, Paul. This "growing up" arc just keeps getting better and better. I agree with somebody's comment a few days ago - Atsali is a wonderfully-realized character.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Atsali: Team Mom.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:So we finally meet the real Cricket. Pretending to be something you are not is never a good idea. Eventually you will run into a situation you cannot cope with the way your faking it calls for. I think being herself in the long run will accomplish a lot more than carrying on with the Fae bad ass will. Though a compassionate Fae is a bit hard to accept. Looking into mythology you cannot find a Fae that was this human in feelings.
Or it might be "Fae bullshit'' (to use Monica's term) to gain sympathy. Either way, Atsali may need to talk to Monica, though not immediately, Kathryn will undoubtedly have filled Monica in on Castela's tantrum, so Calista will be getting an easy day if she doesn't mess up in the afternoon.

Atsali can give Calista a reward however by offering to accompany her to Monica after school, just to provide a friendly face for her second meeting.

Still have to see how Atsali's relationship Monica effects the bear girls and their vision of the Jaguar Girl. Probably do good all around. Does this beating by Castela, and Calista's confession and failure to take it out on all around, qualify as the 'up hill battle' for the friendship of the bear girls?

And we still don't have the back story on the 'Tuna' girls. I think thier behavior is a bit more than simple fear of Fae.
I'm thinking Fae and mermaids don't get along... perhaps Fae are fond of tuna salad sandwiches--which would explain a lot. . . . :shock:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

Warrl wrote:
eee wrote:Aw. Let's all (except Castela, who might intentionally pop her head off) hug and reassure the Fae...
Now I'm imagining Euryale hugging Calista... five-inch Calista, that is...
I'm guessing 5" Calista would end up in a Victoria's Secret Compartment.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:Yes, it's true: Pablo is a Brony. ;)

A note to our site operator: maybe we need to get MLP:FIM emoticons?
Oh yeah... I can see it now... wing-boner emoticons... :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Seeing Calista curled up hugging her knees and crying is so sad... It was said this might be fae bullshit, but I somehow don't think so... Being a princess, I think she's been made well aware that sooner or later the whole fae issue will eventually rest on her shoulders. All the facts and rumors of and or about the fae will be hers to have to answer to. It's a daunting future and Calista doesn't think she's up to it.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.