ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Post by Mark N »

Will every person that said the Fae were the good guys in this story please take your cookies. :mrgreen:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Not sure "good guys" is the right term - sounds as if they were acting in self-interest, and not necessarily from "good" intentions.

Poor Pickle.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

So our little Pickle has turned into a TRIFFID. This is some freaky S**t. :shock:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Couldn't kill it, didn't want it made into a weapon against them, hardly counts as "good intentions".

Wanted it socialized and happy, might count as "good intentions" had the two previous conditions not existed, but here it just is a sub-requirement of "not made into a weapon".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Not sure "good guys" is the right term - sounds as if they were acting in self-interest, and not necessarily from "good" intentions.

Poor Pickle.
Good point. But they did the right thing by her all the same. Scientists would most likely not have raised her as a person like Mr Meadows did. Sometimes self interest and the right thing can be the same thing after all. Good intentions often have horrible side effects as well.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

I didn't like Castela's parents, but I always assumed they existed.

But that's not important right now. Cricket, run. RUN FAST!
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Poor Pickle.
Definitely. Having to think of yourself as a "creation of" someone, rather than as a "child of" someone would be a terrible jolt, especially at so young an age.

I'd say she's suffering from fuscia shock, but somebody would probably aim a pistil at me.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Opus the Poet wrote:Couldn't kill it, didn't want it made into a weapon against them, hardly counts as "good intentions".

Wanted it socialized and happy, might count as "good intentions" had the two previous conditions not existed, but here it just is a sub-requirement of "not made into a weapon".

We do not know that they could not kill her at the starting stage. Fae powers cannot affect her but Humans have such wonderful toxins to use. They very well may have had a choice but chose to have her live. As far as her being a weapon, they may have thought of the whole world should she become a weapon. Think of indestructible Kudzu vines with intelligence destroying a country (The real stuff is harmful enough).
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The last few pages have made me wonder if one of the "coping mechanisms" that Mr Meadows tough her involved repressing memories.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Castela's initial reaction to Calista bolsters the Fae fear that Pickle would be raised as a weapon... with racism either drilled into her psyche from 'birth' or infused at a genetic level. Insinuating that the Fae killed non-existent parents would also strengthen the racial hatred.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

I guess there's a non-zero chance that Cricket is sufficiently self-loathing to use the truth to take the school down with her in a suicide move.

So the only Gilchrist that had birth parents is Atsali. Good thing she had her mind flayed by soulmelded Etheithians. Wouldn't want her thinking she was special or anything.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

What is needed now is adoptive mom (or even grandmom or sister) to take tough love stance that you have a family right here, right now, - US - , and we love you deeply just as you are, but you're causing us a great deal of embarrassment.

(Before the school breaks out the Agent Orange)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:Castela's initial reaction to Calista bolsters the Fae fear that Pickle would be raised as a weapon... with racism either drilled into her psyche from 'birth' or infused at a genetic level. Insinuating that the Fae killed non-existent parents would also strengthen the racial hatred.
She didn't think the fae killed her parents - she thought that the fae made them throw her away.

Which, in fact, they did.

=============

If Cricket wasn't in such bad condition, she might have thought of a better way to phrase her revelation...

=========

And why does Cricket know, anyway?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:And why does Cricket know, anyway?
She must have heard of it through the grapevine...

*Drops a magic bean and a cow into the pun jar*

Meanwhile, it looks like Castela is losing control of herself, to a degree not yet seen by us. Even when she was about to engage with Atsali, she was in control of her actions. Now, it looks like she's losing it to the point where she can't even talk.

Stay tuned, this is not over yet!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:And why does Cricket know, anyway?
I'd guess she (over)heard her mother, Queen Foxglove, discussing the Castela affair with someone... which would suggest that Castea's "rescue" was an action sanctioned (or even commanded) by the ruling Fae.

Speculation: direct intervention by the Fae into human affairs might not be as commonplace these days as it was in the ancient past... the "paranormals, keep your heads down" rules that Phix spoke of, may well apply even to Fae. If so, the decision to free Castela from human control could have been a really big deal for the Fae, requiring a Royal authorization.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

a BroRe: ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Post by AmriloJim »

Clarification noted, Mike. I also note that today's exposition does not seem to carry a NYC accent.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I too am of the opinion that the rescue mounted by the fae was not self-serving. They may have feared her being let loose on the world at large, given what we've read earlier from a link on the forum as to what "blackthorn" was, or even against paranormals only, with possibly devastating results. Even if they had merely feared that she would be used as a weapon against the fae only, they may still have been concerned about the collateral damage that might have ensued.

I think that in this case the fae were, indeed, the good guys.
lake_wrangler

Re: a BroRe: ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:Clarification noted, Mike.
Um... Who is this "Mike" you speak of? I don't seem to find him in the list of posters to this thread, so far... :?

AmriloJim wrote:I also note that today's exposition does not seem to carry a NYC accent.
Well, if someone can take a hit on the head, and start speaking a whole new language (one which they had never, heretofore, spoken before), I can't see why a few stomps couldn't make a fae lose her accent...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha!

On a completely unrelated note: Calista is currently sporting half of her collar raised, and half worn normally... Does that mean she'll become an intermediary between the mermaid clique and the siren clan?
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

I have had a horrible dark thought, could this have been another project of Thup's? (It may be trapped in a crystal now, but that doesn't mean the plans it set in motion have been derailed.) Evil of that level isn't stopped cold simply because of removing the top player. This is a bomb that has to be defused - and fast!