ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: ancient-guardians 2014-07-30

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
Yamara wrote:So the only Gilchrist that had birth parents is Atsali. Good thing she had her mind flayed by soulmelded Etheithians. Wouldn't want her thinking she was special or anything.
Oooh, burn. But you forgot about Oscar.
:idea:
Oscar is Castela's father! He set himself in position to watch over her long before she showed up! Devious little bastard...
Castela wrote:They - They got rid of...SKREEEEE!
Who is SKREEEEE and why did they get rid of him? (I can't find a mention of him in Jwhouks wonderful Character Codex...)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Cricket doesn't say that humans created her... in fact, it sounds like she goes to great lengths to avoid saying who did. I agree that some memory tampering may have gone on by either the fae or at the orphanage... It must have been done in a hurry or very shoddily because a memory cap should work better than this. One word of the truth around Castela and the memory cap blows in spectacular fashion. Poor pickle... heck, poor Atsali... she's got her hands full of something that could turn to spikes and thorns any second now. One can only hope that someone is somehow monitoring this situation and putting a call in for the Jaguar Girl to return to get things under control.

Kath's mention of the hate's intent to branch out.... Someone needs to tell her that puns are retroactive and that she owe the jar... BIG. :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Jabberwonky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Yamara wrote:So the only Gilchrist that had birth parents is Atsali. Good thing she had her mind flayed by soulmelded Etheithians. Wouldn't want her thinking she was special or anything.
:idea:
Oscar is Castela's father! He set himself in position to watch over her long before she showed up! Devious little bastard...
Who is SKREEEEE and why did they get rid of him? (I can't find a mention of him in Jwhouks wonderful Character Codex...)
I'm pretty sure that would be this fella.....

You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
And you think he had an ordinary everyday family-type origin?!?

Putting aside the fact that he's able to keep up his side of a conversation with Katherine (speaking Blurpish of course), and the fact that he can adopt the human viewpoint enough to appreciate that she's "having a fine butt day"...

... there's no way he didn't come out of a (possibly-paranormal) bio-weapons-research lab somewhere. Flatulence at his level has to be the result of deliberate gene-splicing... it just ain't natural.

I'm just not sure quite how his creators would have intended to deploy him.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DilyV wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
I'm pretty sure that would be this fella.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

lake_wrangler wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:And why does Cricket know, anyway?
She must have heard of it through the grapevine...

*Drops a magic bean and a cow into the pun jar*

Meanwhile, it looks like Castela is losing control of herself, to a degree not yet seen by us. Even when she was about to engage with Atsali, she was in control of her actions. Now, it looks like she's losing it to the point where she can't even talk.

Stay tuned, this is not over yet!
Two things:
One: It is Princess Cricket, Daughter of Queen Foxglove--who else would know about it?
Two: RUN AWAY CRICKET RUN AWAY!!!--we don't know how long Atsali can hold the raging plant of death! :o :o
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

At this point... I'm just wondering if the bug that Castela/Pickle eliminated while in the orphanage wasn't in some way a relation to Calista/Cricket.
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Grantwhy wrote:random plot twist 1: ... who says the scientists involved were human? Current^ human technology shouldn't be able to create Castela. And if if it does, surely if human scientists knew about 'sentient and wise' plants, making a 'walking/talking' hybrid would be way down the list of their to-do list?
Human scientists like the ones who crossed piranhas and anacondas? Or gave sharks intelligence?
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

okay first a word of advice to the Fae is you have something you fear will become a dangerous creature under the wrong guidance you should go out of your way to put it somewhere you know it will be loved and cared for. you don't you do *NOT* put it where it will be faced with fear and hatred or you make the very monster you were trying to avoid.

yes nothing said on this page makes me think the Fae are the good guys here what it says is they don't like others having the power to hurt them. oh I'm sure they saw themselves as the hero that day but they obviously didn't care what happened to pickles or they would have arranged for someone to take care of her instead of throwing her to the wolves and hoping for the best.

and nothing said makes the scientists out to be evil either, just because pickles was made instead of born doesn't mean these people didn't care fore her or were any less her parents. I mean I'm sure no one would deny kath of being pickles mother so why is it so hard to believe the scientists didn't care for her even if she was created as a weapon. after all mage man and XJ-9 are just a few example as a scientist making a weapon but loving them just the same.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Warrl wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:random plot twist 1: ... who says the scientists involved were human? Current^ human technology shouldn't be able to create Castela. And if if it does, surely if human scientists knew about 'sentient and wise' plants, making a 'walking/talking' hybrid would be way down the list of their to-do list?
Human scientists like the ones who crossed piranhas and anacondas? Or gave sharks intelligence?
Or covered Twinkies with chocolate?
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I like the debate today...were the fae acting purely out of altruism or out of self-interest, to keep the "doorways to other realms" and "mystical places" to themselves, spreading the story about fear of Castela's weaponization as an excuse? After all, a mobile version of something that can kill fae and cannot be harmed by fae is compelling enough...

From Castela's perspective, she only saw the action of the fae as a forced removal from the only environment that she ever knew, not a rescue, hence her anger and resentment. I imagine that the lab folks might have been just as charmed by Castela's adorableness as any of us, so of course she would have been nurtured by them and she would think of them as her "parents".
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Hmmm... she can turn totally dangerous without warning, has the moral stability of an orphaned 5 year old, has no difficulty inflicting pain before death to what she precieves as the enemy...
Yea, we GOTTA have her as a unit mascot!
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dipti

Post by Dipti »

First of all this good guy, bad guy thing I've been reading about in the post just doesn't work we have too little information. All we know if that she was created taken care of by scientists and taken away of by the Fae nothing more. We have no context on what is going on behind the scenes. As for the little details of this situation that are coming up in future comics there might not be a clear cut bad guy, were dealing with politics and science here . The Politics: The Fae court name one ruling government in history were every cog in the machine was untied in purpose theirs always the self serving and factionalism . The Science: Its expensive that it. Whether she was an accident or purposefully created the gear needed to create Castela costs some big bucks irregardless of being mundane or supernatural scientists doing the creating. As for the person or organization funding said scientists( insert conspiracy theories here ).
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

DilyV wrote:Cricket doesn't say that humans created her... in fact, it sounds like she goes to great lengths to avoid saying who did. I agree that some memory tampering may have gone on by either the fae or at the orphanage... It must have been done in a hurry or very shoddily because a memory cap should work better than this. One word of the truth around Castela and the memory cap blows in spectacular fashion. Poor pickle... heck, poor Atsali... she's got her hands full of something that could turn to spikes and thorns any second now. One can only hope that someone is somehow monitoring this situation and putting a call in for the Jaguar Girl to return to get things under control.
Given that Castela is barely 6, she was no more than 4 years old at the time, possibly as young as 1 or 2, and has very little exposure to non-paranormal associated humans (Kathryn, Monica, Shelly and the GG's are probably the closest to human she that knows). She may not even recognize what real humans look / smell / sound / act like, and probably could understand only a little of what was being said around her.

She knows from the orphanage that the others have parents, so she would assume the researchers were her parents. The Fae forced her parents to give her up / abandon her, so they are evil. She has caught and killed at least one for revenge (What must that Fae have been doing to be caught by a child that young? They knew she was dangerous and must have at least some sense of survival!). This was probably her first chance to get another.

No memory tampering is required to explain her behavior.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
sheik

Post by sheik »

"These were plants known to the Fae as ancient guardians of mystical places and doorways to other realms."
Perhaps Castela was created to breach those doorways?
And if the Fae came from the other side, might they fear such a breach?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

DilyV wrote:Cricket doesn't say that humans created her... in fact, it sounds like she goes to great lengths to avoid saying who did.
That's the implication, though; strongest when she says the scientists gave Castela "back to the paranormal world".

What non-human scientists are removed from the paranormal world, accessible to Fae, and have access to Blackthorn? None would be my guess.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

sheik wrote:"These were plants known to the Fae as ancient guardians of mystical places and doorways to other realms."
Perhaps Castela was created to breach those doorways?
And if the Fae came from the other side, might they fear such a breach?
I noted earlier that Bud and Katherine wondered whether The Hate (Nu Gui, Thup) might have wanted to "branch out" in future plans. I just noticed that in the very next day's strip, they discussed the fact that the Vimana Shield (which Thup had schemed to set up) has flaws or defects in it... which might act as doorways.

How often does one hear "branch" and "doorways" used in the same conversation? And then again?

This might be coincidence, of course. Or, it might be Saint Pablo the Subtle.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Let's see,the Blackthorn is also called "The Mother of the Woods" which would make Castela a "daughter of the woods (daughter of the mother of the woods)." But Cricket said "daughter of the wood (not woods). I'm thinking the Fae call the Blackthorn "the wood." So Castela being "a daughter of the wood" means the daughter of a Blackthorn.

You would think the Fae would have a counter to that plant by now, it being such a big threat. Seems like a flame thrower would be good.

Anyway, I begin to wonder if Pickle is about to unleash something, opening up like that. Something like seeds maybe? Or projectiles of death. One of the bears should scoop up poor little Calista and run with her, shielding her body with theirs as they go. Any projectiles would probably only be deadly to Fae.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Hmmm... she can turn totally dangerous without warning, has the moral stability of an orphaned 5 year old, has no difficulty inflicting pain before death to what she precieves as the enemy...
Yea, we GOTTA have her as a unit mascot!
the Old Sgt.
A cat would do just as well for that.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

random musings ....

Castela was created from plants that were "sentient and wise"

We have seen that Castela can be very wise at times (link)

I think Shelly is sometimes know as "The Forest Sage". I wonder if Castela will ever be known as "The Sage Forest"? :)

Maybe there is a future storyline involving these two?

hmmm .... I wonder if we will ever get a flashback to when Castela and Shelly first met?

> Shelly in her Forest Sage/Sphinx form, Castela in her regular form
> Shelly crouches down to get to eye level with Castela and puts out her paw, Castela reaches out her hand towards Shelly's paw
> and their two voices speak as one and say:
> "Pull my finger"

:D

or something like that.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones