Your Aunt 2014-07-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Your Aunt 2014-07-24

Post by Dave »

"Gdfvsycgk" apparently being Fae for "about to be a spot on the linoleum" I suppose.

And, the penny has dropped for Jessie Gotlieb. It will be interesting to see how she reacts.
Aed

Re: Your Aunt 2014-07-24

Post by Aed »

A three frame installment today and the only one who seems aware that Calista has been smashed is -- Calista!

Somehow I don't think the focus shifting from Monica to Atsali while being seemingly oblivious to Calista's plight is going to provide much assurance that she is loved and will be nurtured.

I hope that I am wrong, but I really want to know. Is Pickle standing on top of Calista in frame two after squishing her in frame one? :shock:
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Calista's first challenge is to NOT go overboard in response to Castela stepping on her. She has to accept Atsali forcing Castela to apologize to be enough. Especially since it can’t have really hurt her http://wapsisquare.com/comic/i-like-you/

Gotlieb is probably going to want Atsali in her group now. The question is whether or not Atsali will abandon her friends to join the ‘in’ crowd. I’m pretty sure the answer is ‘no’. This will lead to a repeated series of attempts to pull Atsali in. The bears won’t feel threatened, they have obviously seen it before. Calista will see it as her previous experience being repeated, and will deal with it ... poorly. Then it becomes Monica's problem.

Sounds like 'interesting times'.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ouch. Kind of a bad day for Calista, innit?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Aed wrote:I hope that I am wrong, but I really want to know. Is Pickle standing on top of Calista in frame two after squishing her in frame one? :shock:
She was running pretty fast so not unless she stopped on a dime after the stomp.
My2Cents wrote:Gotlieb is probably going to want Atsali in her group now. The question is whether or not Atsali will abandon her friends to join the ‘in’ crowd. I’m pretty sure the answer is ‘no’. This will lead to a repeated series of attempts to pull Atsali in. The bears won’t feel threatened, they have obviously seen it before. Calista will see it as her previous experience being repeated, and will deal with it ... poorly. Then it becomes Monica's problem.
I'm wondering if it will be the other way around with Gotlieb developing and admiration for Atsali after learning of all her high connections leading to Atsali unwittingly becoming the school's new it-girl.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Is there any significance to the fact that Gotlieb’s and her henchwoman have their collars up while Atsali and hers have them down?

Or is this just to make it easy to identify alliances?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:"Gdfvsycgk" apparently being Fae for "about to be a spot on the linoleum" I suppose.
Yes, that does seem to be correct. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aed wrote:I hope that I am wrong, but I really want to know. Is Pickle standing on top of Calista in frame two after squishing her in frame one? :shock:
Unlikely, considering that when Castela squishes Calista she appears to still be running flat-out - not stopping. So she would stop at least a couple steps away.

Also, look how where everyone seems to be relative to the big window in:
"Smiling at me", last panel;
"Outta here", second panel;
"Your aunt", first panel.
It looks to me like after finishing talking to Monica, Atsali walked *away from the window* to where the bear sisters were standing. And now Castela is between Atsali and the bears.

On the other hand, the positions of Atsali and Monica in the first of those don't obviously fit with the positions of Calista and Monica in the second. It looks like Calista was in the same place as Atsali; Atsali for some reason left, then Monica stepped over Calista and turned around to talk to her. Which is an improbable series of actions.

And for that matter the backgrounds in "Smiling at me" don't make a lot of sense on their own. Any one panel is fine by itself, but try to figure out how the people and the camera moved - and why the people moved that way - among the three panels, which really cover a very small time period...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Hey, anybody want to place guesses on what the rumors are at the school after this incident gets totally distorted?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"Paging Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard..."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Calista: "And Aunt Jin is the Time Keepers Daughter." And Aunt Phix is the Keeper of the Great Library. And Aunt Brandi runs the MIB.

I wonder if there are any high level positions Atsali doesn’t have an Aunt in? Bud seems unspoken for.
Dave

Post by Dave »

My2Cents wrote:I wonder if there are any high level positions Atsali doesn’t have an Aunt in? Bud seems unspoken for.
She's a Master-grade golf instructor.
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Hooboy. A lot happening in this comic. The bears discovering the Jaguar Girl probably isn't that scary and they know two girls who socialize with her. The top dog on the school campus learns that her savior in swim class is a lot cooler than she thought. And if the rumors that flying around school Atsila might get atain top dog status without trying. It will be interesting to see how Jessica and Atsila react to the social hierarchy changes.

And on Calista got squished...again. The start of a new running joke perhaps?
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

My guess is Jessie saw Cricket get squished - or sees her lying there squished and runs over to help. Then either they call out to Atsali, the school Nurse or The Jaguar girl is anyones guess - except Pauls, and he won't tell.....YET. 8-)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Since when are the girls friends with Jessie? Not enemies maybe, but actual, sit down and talk girl talk while breaking bread, friends? Especially the bear twins. They act as if they were expecting Jessie to join them for lunch. Just seems to be gaps in the story. At least where the audience is concerned.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
illiad

Post by illiad »

Is it cliffhanger day yet????? :P :|

Or will Friday see a battered cricket saying "heysh guysh.... whersh the parshty???? :( :? :shock: :? :roll: :cry: "
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

To be honest, just based on the relative sizes as depicted in the drawings shown, Calista is too large to be squished in the quite the manner as suggested by Castela's foot in the picture. Castela has been shown to have large flat feet of a rather elephantine or rhinoceros style which probably makes finding shoes for her rather hard unless she merely shapes her foot to fit the shoes she likes (most likely), but Calista has still been shown to be a foot or more tall without glamour. Her body would be showing all around Casela's foot if it was stepped on, not just the antennae.
I would guess Calista has ported or phased somewhere safe before being squished, the antennae being the last to go. It now remains to be seen how or when she can return and in what state, since such actions may have penalties attached to them for the Fae, at least under some conditions (such as returning in an ethereal form and then reassuming a physical structure.)

But we'll see what happens next. I'm probably over thinking like usual.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
illiad

Post by illiad »

Timotheus wrote:Her body would be showing all around Casela's foot if it was stepped on, not just the antennae.
well, you are forgetting the 'rule of funny' and other toon tropes.... :/ :)
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Rule of Funny got her squished.
She should be able to take it with no permanent injury.
The equivalent of a Looneytoon character being scorched by
dynamite exploding in their face, or a more relevant steamroller
flattening.

She really should have been able to jump out of the way.

She had better not try to do anything to Pickle.
(Of course, SHE can take anything short of incineration.)
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

like i said "splat"!

(ok, that one was not hard to predict ;)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

KnightDelight wrote: Since when are the girls friends with Jessie? Not enemies maybe, but actual, sit down and talk girl talk while breaking bread, friends?
...they're not.
KnightDelight wrote: Especially the bear twins. They act as if they were expecting Jessie to join them for lunch.
They are? :|

I don't want to sound too critical, but I don't think the comic is implying what you think it's implying. At least, I can't see what you're seeing.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)