Used the Ninjas 2014-07-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Used the Ninjas 2014-07-21

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, so it's just a family reunion.

"Yeah, she even used the ninjas on me." - Non-sequitur of the year.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Re: Used the Ninjas 2014-07-21

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:"Yeah, she even used the ninjas on me." - Non-sequitur of the year.
To the uninitiated, yes, I guess it would be. :lol:

I'm not sure it could have caused Cricket and the Bears to be any more boggled than they would have been otherwise, though... you can't turn boggle up to 11. I have a feeling that Atsali's status in their eyes has just taken a huge leap in some direction or other.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

It's just sooooo much fun for Monica to have this rep, when she's only been Jaguarized for relatively a short time. Even Mythics have legends.

Cricket finds that there are more interesting lives to lead other than being a Fae princess, and once this bit of info gets out, she'll need to help Atsali wade through the passel of new "Friends" who want to be on the good side of the Demon Shepard.

The twins want to be Atsali when they grow up.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Ah, yes - it's been awhile since we've heard from/about the Master of the Custom Brassiere...

And...

"Always, Expect, Ninjas!"
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It would seem a day has passed since M-the-J got Down on C in the Big Way, yo.

Aw forget it. I'll never be a rapper.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Aed

Post by Aed »

Well at least it was ninjas and not the Spanish Inquisition.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I am not sure if that is a +12 on Atsali's respect roll or on Da'Bear's and Fae's Shitting self roll. :mrgreen:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Okay, someone want to break down the timeline of this story arc for me? I know we jumped into one flashback for Monica, but did we jump into two?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

You left off "Aunt M?!?"
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:It would seem a day has passed since M-the-J got Down on C in the Big Way, yo.
Not sure about that. I got the feeling that Monica's discussion with Phix and Bia was being portrayed in flashback, and took place before Monica poited in to give Cricket the big talking-to. That's when the "and Saturdays" schedule was set, and when Monica decided she'd been "hired". What we're seeing here is (I think) immediately after Monica allowed Cricket to stand down from their J-space discussion.

I could be wrong, of course... it happens with embarrassing regularity. (As opposed to the embarrassing irregularity that they use to shill laxatives on TV).
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Second panel: "Di[d] you get an appointment?"
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Three minds, variously blown.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Thor wrote:Okay, someone want to break down the timeline of this story arc for me? I know we jumped into one flashback for Monica, but did we jump into two?
We're back into normal time with this strip...

Starting with the explanation of Cricket's gossamer trick, she admits to getting caught, and being basically ordered to come under the tutelage of the Jaguar Girl. Berdine plays mean girl to Cricket and cricket tries to explain she wants to be different. Enter The Jaguar Girl. MonJagicauar plays up her role to Cricket, setting the pecking order immediately, letting Cricket know that gossamer tricks and Fae bullshit won't be tolerated. Flashback to Monica's briefing for this mission in which she complaines mightily to Phix about Phix trying to manipulate her, and in turn, falls for even more phix manipulation, taking it out on poor Bia (never thought I'd say that) because Phix told Monica that Bia thought she'd fail at bring Cricket around. Bia, who was engrossed in her mission to find a certain book about a family tree that I'm sure will pop back up in the future, has no idea why Monica just yelled at her. Phix explains in vague terms, not letting on that she (Phix) caused Monica's outburst by saying that Bia said monica would fail.

Exit flashback into today's strip. Monica's entrance as the Jaguar Girl was obviously seen by everyone, but I get the feeling her talk with cricket was heard only by Cricket in J-Space.

That about cover it?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thor wrote:Okay, someone want to break down the timeline of this story arc for me? I know we jumped into one flashback for Monica, but did we jump into two?
Basically - last week was a flashback (most of it) to when Monica got her assignment to Cricket as her "mentor" (or whatever Phix or the librarians call it). This scene today was a return to the present day-time in the lunchroom of Gryphon HS - and Monica just went from full Jaguar Girl motif to Monica Villareal, dork at large.

And I think Atsali just got a +12 credibility modifier to her Charisma score. Along with a few other ones (+5 "intimidation by relationship" and +4 "do NOT mess with this girl, she has Jaguar Girl on her side!")
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Mark N wrote:I am not sure if that is a +12 on Atsali's respect roll or on Da'Bear's and Fae's Shitting self roll. :mrgreen:
Well, since Da'Bear's haven't blown that roll already (along with the rest of the lunch room) we can assume that Calista's conversation with Monica was private.

Down side for Atsali is that Calista is going to want to be with her all the time and use Atsali as a Monica surrogate to pre-approve her every move to avoid getting swatted by the Jaguar Girl. That will get very annoying to Atsali quickly, resulting an outburst, and a stricken Castela. Learning experiences for all, especially if/when Atsali has to defend some of Calista’s actions she approved to Monica.

Da'Bear's reactions will be fun, especially if Atsali just explains that the Jaguar Girl works with her mom, without explaining that they are both researchers at a museum. Kathryn would, by association, probably assume mythical proportions in their minds, and some real trepidation when Atsali invites them to come over after school. Given their background, and Kathryn’s eyes, they might even decide that Kathryn must be Spider Grandmother.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Called it!... though i must admit the gobsmacked expressions i predicted were not from the reveal of "Aunt Monica" but because of the ninja use... oh well, can't win them all...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Oh Auntie M, it's you!"
scantrontb wrote:Called it!... though i must admit the gobsmacked expressions i predicted were not from the reveal of "Aunt Monica" but because of the ninja use... oh well, can't win them all...
As Meatloaf sang, "Two out of three ain't bad." ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:"Oh Auntie M, it's you!"
scantrontb wrote:Called it!... though i must admit the gobsmacked expressions i predicted were not from the reveal of "Aunt Monica" but because of the ninja use... oh well, can't win them all...
As Meatloaf sang, "Two out of three ain't bad." ;)
Well:

Berdine: "Ninjas?"

Nadette and Calista: "Aunt M?"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Hmmm, so http://wapsisquare.com/comic/behind-you/ ff was only imagination/fear of your newest addition.

Also: Ninjas!

EDIT: Also the big question now is, will Atsali be allowed to bring her 3 new friends to the next island party?