Used the Ninjas 2014-07-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
eee

Re: Used the Ninjas 2014-07-21

Post by eee »

If Bern's a Seer, I wonder what she's seeing now. If anything.
Aed wrote:Well at least it was ninjas and not the Spanish Inquisition.
"NO-ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH NINJA INQUISITION!!!"
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Auntie M, Auntie M. I've lost Toto and we're not in Kansas anymore!

Flashback to the Wizard of Odd.

Ninja's indeed.

You would have thought the bears had figured out Sali's connections before this. Sali did refer to Bud as an Aunt Monica did come to the mall to help Sali that time. Rumor in the para world should have done the rest.

Drops a pair of Rugby slippers in the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Elvis wrote: EDIT: Also the big question now is, will Atsali be allowed to bring her 3 new friends to the next island party?
The bear twins, perhaps. Cricket, I don't think so.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Elvis wrote:EDIT: Also the big question now is, will Atsali be allowed to bring her 3 new friends to the next island party?
The ursamorph twins will certainly be welcomed, if they bring along their instruments and agree to do one of their tribute-band rock concerts. I'm sure you know their band's name, of course.

Cricket can be their roadie for the day.
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Insert Law & Order "Dum-Dum" for scene change...
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
stjen

Post by stjen »

Auntie M, Auntie M, there's no place like home!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I'm pretty sure that that was exactly what Cricket saw.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Let me explain; no that would be too long. Let me sum up.
1. Everyone saw Monica as an astral fire flaming Jaguar girl; else why say with trepidation "look behind you"
2. The conversation between Cricket and Monica was private as indicated by the changing background and/or floor covering.
3. Apparently Cricket's worst nightmare is to be squished. :shock:
4. The transition from the "I should crush you" in "J space" to "saturdays too" occurs just before todays panel.
5. Note the expressions, or lack thereof on the beas and Cricket. the bears are WTF? :?: , and cricket is beet red/embarrassed, indicating a change of undies is required. :oops:
6. The seer is thinking "ninjas?" because she already "saw" the relationship. the other two are trying to grasp the concept that Atsali calls the sub-titan Jaguar Girl, Demon Shepard "Aunt M"--indicating a very close and personal relationship. :o

tune in tomorrow as Monica poits out and the girls say in their best Ricky Ricardo voices "Atsali, you got some splainin to do" :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

zachariah wrote:Drops a pair of Rugby slippers in the jar.
Rugby slippers? You mean these things? http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departmen ... boots.html
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

meisdadoo wrote:6. The seer is thinking "ninjas?" because she already "saw" the relationship. the other two are trying to grasp the concept that Atsali calls the sub-titan Jaguar Girl, Demon Shepard "Aunt M"--indicating a very close and personal relationship. :o
From the profiles and hairstyles, it looks to me as if it's Berdine ("she who chose a pair of pert ones") who is saying "Ninjas?", and Nadette the Seer saying "Aunt M?". i don't think that the Seer, saw this one coming.

Alsali has been through a whole lot of turmoil lately (between the Big Adventure, and the sudden onset of Siren puberty) in which Monica played no direct part. Her interactions with Monica have been recent, apparently quite few, and (aside from a few minutes of nervousness at first) quite friendly and positive (dare I say "supportive"?).

So, there might not have been any dramatic "imprint" of "Aunt M" on Atsali's soul/aura/fate/Record for Nadette to See... whatever was there, might have been obscured by the other, more dramatic events and changes Atsali has been through since she met Katherine.
Aed

Post by Aed »

Good observations and analysis Dave. I look forward to the next installment of the story.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Thor wrote:Okay, someone want to break down the timeline of this story arc for me? I know we jumped into one flashback for Monica, but did we jump into two?
7/9, Uphill battle - current time, realspace, as things have been for a while.

7/10, Behind you - current time, first panel realspace, second panel probably jaguarspace
7/11, want to learn - current time, probably jaguarspace, possibly realspace or may flip back and forth
7/14, Saturday too (except last panel) - current time, probably realspace but may be jaguarspace

7/14, Saturday too (last panel only) - flashback to an unspecified fairly-recent time*, library
7/15, Heard this before
7/16, Forget I said anything
7/17, One to speak
7/18, Gift and a curse - last page of the flashback

7/21, Used the Ninjas - current time, realspace, as things probably will be for a while.

* I am presuming the supernaturals waited to send Cricket to the Jaguar Girl until they actually had the latter's agreement... and then didn't wait very long thereafter. So I would think the flashback was, at the latest, the prior evening. It could have been a few days earlier, but probably not more than a week earlier.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Ah, thought balloons. They solve so many problems that other media can only wrestle around. Italic omniscent or voiceovers just don't work the same magic.

For instance, right now Atsali has the freedom to just think "Oh hey Aunt Monica is here, I could ask her what it means, she'd probably know" and leave it at that on-panel. But in a script for a movie or tv show she'd totally have to go

ATSALI.
Auntie M, what's "fisting" mean?

MONICA slowly turns to look down at CALISTA, who pulls out a cell phone a few sizes too large for her, and speed dials.

CALISTA.
Hello, Ma? Yeah, listen. I'm gonna need ya ta book passage f'me to Tartarus afta all. Nah, nah, I, I gotta face da music, Ma, I unnerstand dat now, an I figure--

The phone poits to MONICA.

MONICA.
Hello, Tink? Hi! Yes, it's Monica again! No, I just got here. Thaaat's right. Yes, I did. Yes she did. Uh huh. Oh I am looking forward to that. Listen, I think Calista is already starting make some friends here, so that's encouraging, and I will be monitoring that very carefully. Oh, thank you! You too. Bye-bye.
[teeth bared, to CALISTA]
...and EVERY FRRRIDAY NIGHT.

MONICA tosses the phone toward CALISTA, who reaches out for it feebly, but it poits away before it reaches her. Her little arms hang in the air

Dere's more, but I oughtta stop right dere, gahhh.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Opus the Poet wrote:
zachariah wrote:Drops a pair of Rugby slippers in the jar.
Rugby slippers? You mean these things? http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departmen ... boots.html
I mean the things firemen wear where battling chemical fires. Click their heels and say, "There's no place like foam. There's no place like foam."

I was hoping the jar couldn't spell and I could reduce my debt a bit too.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I awoke from this dream and noticed movment in the room; there where all these Shoemaker Elves, scurrying about to and fro- but they where dressed all in Black, even the faces and all i could make out where the uncovered eyes...
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

TazManiac wrote:I awoke from this dream and noticed movment in the room; there where all these Shoemaker Elves, scurrying about to and fro- but they where dressed all in Black, even the faces and all i could make out where the uncovered eyes...
Oh noes!!!! You'e discovered the existence of... (wait for it)... (insert deep, booming echoplexing announcer voice) THE DREADED FOOTWEAR NINJAS!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.