Forget I Said Anything 2014-07-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Forget I Said Anything 2014-07-16

Post by Atomic »

1. Start psychology.
2. Engage reverse.
3. Apply disinterest.
4. Profit!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Forget I Said Anything 2014-07-16

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yep. Having altogether too much fun.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Aww, Phix is playing 'Mind Games'. I LIKE it. However Deep down I think Monica wants to help this kid.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Wow, M has a new superpower, digging herself deeper and deeper with just the foot in her mouth.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Is that Paul's version of a Chibi Monica in the last frame?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

And we all know Mon forgot about it right away... Image
AmriloJim wrote:Is that Paul's version of a Chibi Monica in the last frame?
Somewhere in between normal and Shellyvision.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

"Oh, no! I'm not gonna let you get away with that! You can't just say forget the whole thing, just because I said to forget the whole thing!!

I say it's duck season! FIRE!!"

((Bang))

"Phix... you're dithpicable."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

By the time the conversation was over, Monica claimed it was her idea all along, and only realized what happened once she got home, and already a couple inches into a quart of ice cream.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Well played, Madame Phix. Well played indeed.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monica got played, Monica got played. Chanted the chorus of 3 years old's in the back ground.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Call her bluff, Monica!

Oh wait, this is a flashback. Fate really has screwed you.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

...unless this isn't a flashback.

What if the scene with M and Cricket was all gossamer, and based on what she knew of her schedule with the JG, and public images of M?

And since the decision to recruit the Jaguar into mentoring Cricket took place before telling M in any case...this scene with Phix could be happening at the same time Cricket was eliciting sympathy in the cafeteria...

...but that would mean...

...that Da Bears would have to have been gossamer all along. Meaning Cricket is morbidly fixated on Atsali . . .

I was right. Need to have the brain sit this one out and just watch.

It's dialogues with Hylas and Philonous all the way down.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
eee

Post by eee »

You'd think Monica would know by now that Phix has all M's buttons lined up and labeled, and that engaging in dramatics just gives 'Grandma' a chance to push them. Monica would do MUCH better to talk about her lack of training and experience, and to demand to know what she's supposed to do with this Wild Child. As well as her fears of screwing up. Phix could help her with all that; instead, by digging in her heels, she's just leaving herself open to more of the manipulation she hates so much.

Phix does, after all, have a trump card that will flatten all Monica's objections. "Pumpkin, consider what you would have given, at age 16 or so, if Jin had come out of the shadows, taken you in hand, and talked you through your problems and confusion. Even as messed up as she was, then, she would have been a Godsend. Now you've got the chance to do that for a young girl who's pretty messed up, herself. Do you REALLY want to say 'no' to that opportunity?"
analyst

Post by analyst »

Nothing is worse for self-righteous indignation, than for the object to agree with you.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

eee wrote:You'd think Monica would know by now that Phix has all M's buttons lined up and labeled, and that engaging in dramatics just gives 'Grandma' a chance to push them. Monica would do MUCH better to talk about her lack of training and experience, and to demand to know what she's supposed to do with this Wild Child. As well as her fears of screwing up. Phix could help her with all that; instead, by digging in her heels, she's just leaving herself open to more of the manipulation she hates so much.

Phix does, after all, have a trump card that will flatten all Monica's objections. "Pumpkin, consider what you would have given, at age 16 or so, if Jin had come out of the shadows, taken you in hand, and talked you through your problems and confusion. Even as messed up as she was, then, she would have been a Godsend. Now you've got the chance to do that for a young girl who's pretty messed up, herself. Do you REALLY want to say 'no' to that opportunity?"
But that would have made for a boring story. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
as363

Post by as363 »

jwhouk wrote:
eee wrote:You'd think Monica would know by now that Phix has all M's buttons lined up and labeled, and that engaging in dramatics just gives 'Grandma' a chance to push them. Monica would do MUCH better to talk about her lack of training and experience, and to demand to know what she's supposed to do with this Wild Child. As well as her fears of screwing up. Phix could help her with all that; instead, by digging in her heels, she's just leaving herself open to more of the manipulation she hates so much.

But that would have made for a boring story. ;)

It may be boring - but this old man is not snoring...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Aww, Phix is playing 'Mind Games'. I LIKE it. However Deep down I think Monica wants to help this kid.

I'm sure she does. But a fear of trying and failing to help the kid runs even deeper. "I'm too fucked up to be responsible. I'll just make things worse." Her friends have far more confidence in her than she does in herself.

is self-pity one of her demons? Or is that part of Doubt's repertoire?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Monica does have a point though. I think we're way past the "Whoo look at this hand while this other supernatural hand mysteriously does something with your life" crap. I'm almost certain if Phix had, y'know, had M meet Cricket's mother and hear it all out she'd have agreed.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Umm. Careful there, Phix, remember the lava bath Nudge got! ;) Monica is easily "manipulated" into doing the right thing because she WANTS to do the right thing, but unfortunately she has a temper and has esteem issues. Luckily her friends for the most part are essentially immortal and understanding. Monica is also really young compared to most of her friends by a large order of magnitude; she has a long time to go to get to the outlook of the other supernaturals in many respects. The important thing is she does the right thing.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Yamara wrote:...unless this isn't a flashback.

What if the scene with M and Cricket was all gossamer, and based on what she knew of her schedule with the JG, and public images of M?

And since the decision to recruit the Jaguar into mentoring Cricket took place before telling M in any case...this scene with Phix could be happening at the same time Cricket was eliciting sympathy in the cafeteria...

...but that would mean...

...that Da Bears would have to have been gossamer all along. Meaning Cricket is morbidly fixated on Atsali . . .

I was right. Need to have the brain sit this one out and just watch.

It's dialogues with Hylas and Philonous all the way down.
This is totally plausible in this strip, and I shall be in confusion corner trying not to apply observation and let the quantum soup collapse of its own accord...
Atomic wrote:1. Start psychology.
2. Engage reverse.
3. Apply disinterest.
4. Profit!
You forgot "collect underpants" and "?"
Gotta go to work...work all day...