Very Honest 2014-07-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Very Honest 2014-07-07

Post by AmriloJim »

Confirmation of Nadette's seer ability... and reality overwhelms Calista.
Dave

Re: Very Honest 2014-07-07

Post by Dave »

Reality hurts, yes... but her teary response is probably better, in the end, than going back into "tough denial" would have been.

The next big question, will be the details of just why she has no friends. Did she ever have friends (who are now gone, gone, gone so far that even their shadows cannot be seen), or did she never have any friends? Maybe, as a Fae princess, she was kept away from other Fae children because they "weren't good enough" to befriend royalty? Non-Fae kids were kept away because "Fae are dangerous"?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

True, Atsali's there, and Bern' and 'Dette would want to be part of the group. And she just has to meet the rest of the Gilchrist household.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Good grief! Calista is a Peanuts character.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Awwww, poor Cricket. Dry your eyes your highness,(and I don't mean that in a sarcastic or derogatory way) you have a friend in Atsali and when you have one good friend can others be far behind 'Da Bears' fer instance?
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

How about taking Cricket over to Mucho Mocha for a nice soothing cup of tea? I'd love to see Nadette and Tina size each other up...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

txmystic wrote:How about taking Cricket over to Mucho Mocha for a nice soothing cup of tea? I'd love to see Nadette and Tina size each other up...
Oooooo -- there's a good mix!

Cricket is eventually going to have to grow up (a bit, anyway), and she's just going to have to deal with the fact that's it's not her pants that make her look fat, etc.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

She really is good at Glamour!
I was expecting to see her true form again.
(Assuming that Was her true form.)
Ms. Mermaid couldn't hold it in, and she wasn't having an emotional crisis.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Cricket said she'd mastered glamor by he time she was five... so maintaining the illusion wouldn't be an issue. However as we can see, some people have weapons that can cut through the glamor to the heart of the matter. Even royalty can be fragile and have their feelings trampled. Seems Cricket may be a whiz at maintaining her glamor but still has trouble keeping her feelings bottled when faced with the truth.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Gee Sali makes friends really fast. From them smacking each other, to sarcastic remarks, to crying jag. Yep that really defines becoming friends doesn't it. I know it can happen fast but I don't see the keys in personality that lead to instant friendship. So now it depends on how cricket responds, or if she even notices, to Sali's friends statement. She had a better friend filter before during the swimming lesson. And becoming friends with the bears was tough for her, she was so embarrassed. So where did that filter go?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
WilliamCA

Post by WilliamCA »

shadowinthelight wrote:Good grief! Calista is a Peanuts character.

That's what i was thinking. Calista is Peppermint Patty. All tough talk and act, but is a real softy and lonely. She wants friends and wants acceptance for who she is. Unlike PP who had Marcy, Calista has no one
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

WilliamCA wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Good grief! Calista is a Peanuts character.

That's what i was thinking. Calista is Peppermint Patty. All tough talk and act, but is a real softy and lonely. She wants friends and wants acceptance for who she is. Unlike PP who had Marcy, Calista has no one
Until now.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
eee

Post by eee »

This is better than her smashing the table - or Nadette - or running for the girl's room in tears. And Atsali seems to be doing the right thing, here, offering immediate reassurance. We'll have to see how this goes.

I AM curious, though. To judge from what Nad' said, Cricket HAD friends at one time, but now they're all gone. So gone, even their faces and shadows have vanished. I'm curious as to what happened. And why.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

In spite of being Fae/immortal, Calista/Cricket is still a little girl/young teenager trying to learn how to deal with emotions and interacting with others.
Reminds me of my daughter when at the age of 15 bemoaned that she "had no social life". My wife and I discussed that at my daughter's recent wedding reception. A no-host affair at one of the more trendy pubs in Los Angeles with 200 of her closest friends. . . .all dressed as their favorite character.

BUT, unlike my daughter, it would appear that something happened to Calista's prior "friends". Just have to wait and see where this goes. . .
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

What is it with brunettes? They're all oracles or misanthropes or both.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Yamara wrote:What is it with brunettes? They're all oracles or misanthropes or both.
They ran low on power. It's called a brown out.

Drops a hamster powered Jet Car into the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

eee wrote:I AM curious, though. To judge from what Nad' said, Cricket HAD friends at one time, but now they're all gone. So gone, even their faces and shadows have vanished. I'm curious as to what happened. And why.
Judging from this reaction, and contrary to her reputation as a badass, I'm hopeful that nothing sinister happened...she's probably really good at building emotional walls and erasing those that hurt her from her genetic memory...
sheik

Post by sheik »

Let's hope her friends were not expunged by force.
Getting the "higher authority" that took Cricket's friends from her involved in this could result in a real donnybrook.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

sheik wrote:Let's hope her friends were not expunged by force.
Getting the "higher authority" that took Cricket's friends from her involved in this could result in a real donnybrook.
No higher authority took them so there is none to get involved. They were gone and no trace of them was left on Cricket of them. Either this happened in another dimension, or cricket is a lot older than we think. I have no idea how long it would take a young fae to grow up but they have a very long life time.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
sheik wrote:Let's hope her friends were not expunged by force.
No higher authority took them so there is none to get involved.
Ummm... how would you know that for certain, based on what's been said so far?

If Cricket did have friends, who have been "erased" from her life somehow, there's no evidence either way as to who, or what may be responsible. It could be an enemy, or a higher authority (such as her parents?), or a purely natural force, or (as you suggest) a great deal of time or distance. Since we know that Wapsiverse time is changeable, a higher power (or enemy) might have "retroactively erased" friends from her timeline - hence, they "never were".
They were gone and no trace of them was left on Cricket of them. Either this happened in another dimension, or cricket is a lot older than we think. I have no idea how long it would take a young fae to grow up but they have a very long life time.
What Nadette said was ambiguous... it's subject to multiple interpretations (as oracular statements often are). Her words don't even actually confirm that Cricket ever had any friends at all. All she really confirmed, is that she cannot detect any trace at all of friends on Cricket's aura/soul/being/body/whatever.

Yes, she did say "They're gone", but as she then says she can't see even their faces or shadows, I'd say she can't be certain that they ever even existed in the first place.

My hunch is that Calista's upbringing may have been constrained and/or hostile somehow, and prevented her from ever developing any friendships with others of her age. Not all that uncommon a situation even among humans :( and it would tie in nicely with the general theme Pablo seems to be following here.

Time will tell.