Need Us 2014-07-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Need Us 2014-07-03

Post by Warrl »

Okay, Cricket gets in Nadette's face and screams "WHAT THE $#%! ARE YOU???"

Nadette shapeshifts to a heavily ursine form and says "I'm better than your average bear."

Then she shifts back to human form and continues "And we're your friends - if you'll let us."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Nadette dun gone and shamed da Debil. :o
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Warrl wrote:Okay, Cricket gets in Nadette's face and screams "WHAT THE $#%! ARE YOU???"

Nadette shapeshifts to a heavily ursine form and says "I'm better than your average bear."

Then she shifts back to human form and continues "And we're your friends - if you'll let us."
Confrontation is not a good idea. It would be a boo-boo.

Gee did I get that right Yogi???

Drops a Mr. Ranger figurine into the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

TazManiac wrote:Nadette dun gone and shamed da Debil. :o
Make it Shamened the Debil.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Oh Shit...

...this is exactly how I was at that age, but I was an extreme pacifist who just said the meanest thing I could think of to keep people at a distance rather than being tough and easily drawn into fights. I actually *wish* someone had called me on it like Nadette is doing here, I'd probably have been a lot easier to get along with...

Big hug for Cricket in that last panel!
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

shadowinthelight wrote:Re-reading Nadette's verbal strike, she sounds just like Tina going on autopilot reading someone's aura.
And that ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ right there...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

A stunned silence now. Tomorrow... KA-BOOM!
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

{sigh} Oh, boy; it's worse than I first thought.

Something really bad happened to get Cricket to this point, and whatever it was is so bad she doesn't want it to happen to anyone/thing else, even if it means that she will have to never let others be a part of her life. Lucky for her Jugs knows a whole bunch of folks that can help, even though the cure is likely to hurt as much (or more) as the pain she carries within herself. Once that pain is lifted she can look upon it as being worth it, but this is one of those things that can only be viewed by hindsight.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm going to bet on it now: a "recovery" panel for Calista, and then... "Oh, you're wunnadem Seer types, hey? (small chuckle) Shoulda guessed. Youse guys must be Ursines. Ran inta a pair years ago."

Oh, and I don't think it'd be a very good idea for Atsali to bring Calista to Mucho Mocha anytime soon.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

If she cannot see "..even their shadows.." I suspect something horribly eternal happened to them, which would leave a very deep and painful scar on the soul of the person/being that did that to her friends. :shock:

It is bad enough to have someone peel back your facade and look inside, it is far worse when that facade is part of a partially healed emotional trauma like enormous guilt. :oops:

That is dangerous ground to tread when dealing with mortals, let alone those that make you and your shadow disappear forever. Even an atomic bomb can't do that. See also
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

meisdadoo wrote:If she cannot see "..even their shadows.." I suspect something horribly eternal happened to them, which would leave a very deep and painful scar on the soul of the person/being that did that to her friends. :shock:
Considering she is a fae what might have happened is she took a few friends home for a visit. Forgetting about the time difference across the fairy gate. It can be minutes, or years. It would be a huge scar if she took friends across for an evening of fun and when they got home 100 years had passed on earth. Just her friends reactions alone and the accustations they would lay on her would do it.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

When Nadette went into autopilot I wondered if she was related to Nudge or Tina (which would mean she was a grandchild of Bia). Maybe Nudge has grand-cookies. (Sorry, heard the phrase recently and fell in love with it (Now I cant remember where :( ))
EDIT: Just remembered thanks to Amber and her DMFA.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Mark N wrote:When Nadette went into autopilot I wondered if she was related to Nudge or Tina (which would mean she was a grandchild of Bia). Maybe Nudge has grand-cookies. (Sorry, heard the phrase recently and fell in love with it (Now I cant remember where :( ))
Was it Dimanika from DMFA during the cubi clan meeting?
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Oh, and I don't think it'd be a very good idea for Atsali to bring Calista to Mucho Mocha anytime soon.
Point taken. But, there's worse - think what may happen if/when Tina and Nadette meet. The psychic positive-feedback effect might not leave the city standing. :shock:
sheik

Post by sheik »

If Nadette is truly a seer/shaman then she is doing what needs to be done, perhaps at her own peril, or is at least mindful of the peril that exists for her friends and perhaps for the school as a whole.
OTOH, what she sees may be something more germane to to the Princess.
If Cricket has pursued a path forced upon her by her past and has emotionally healed in a maladaptive manner, perhaps Nadette's shock therapy was called for.
Rather like breaking and resetting a bone that was not properly aligned.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:If she cannot see "..even their shadows.." I suspect something horribly eternal happened to them, which would leave a very deep and painful scar on the soul of the person/being that did that to her friends. :shock:
Considering she is a fae what might have happened is she took a few friends home for a visit. Forgetting about the time difference across the fairy gate. It can be minutes, or years. It would be a huge scar if she took friends across for an evening of fun and when they got home 100 years had passed on earth. Just her friends reactions alone and the accusations they would lay on her would do it.
rather than saying that Cricket brought friends TO the Faerie Realm and the time difference left them like Rumple-Stiltskinned and now they hate her guts and that's why they're "gone", that doesn't make sense, because they would still be alive today for Nadette to scan. they may not be her FRIENDS anymore, but they wouldn't be "gone" the way Nadette seems to be describing. instead, what if it was something like Cricket told them "i'll be right back!" and had her friends waiting for her to go home and get something from there, but when she finally returned (time difference not relevant at this point, see below.), there was nothing but a glass parking lot where they used to be... then, like Charon did with getting Bia out of there while the earth recovered, her dad did the same thing, and it's just "now" that the CM Time-Loops have been lifted, that he's allowing his daughter to come back to Earth?

with my understanding that Fae are effectively immortal, and that time doesn't really affect them like it does us mere mortals, and that IIRC the Fae can control the time differential itself. what if the time differential between realms, in this case, was on the order of, oh... say, 12000-ish years (or 81000+ depending on viewpoint), and her friends were Lantians? that would put the event back at the time of the GG's creation, and I'd say that that would have been a sufficiently "horribly eternal" event, such that even Death himself couldn't do anything for their souls... therefore no faces, no shadows, no nothing for Nadette to pick up on... even though it's relatively recent history for Cricket herself.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Aed

Post by Aed »

I don't recall who was wishing for a cliff hanger, but I believe that Paul just gave us one. Since tomorrow is the Independence Day holiday in the U.S., I do not expect another installment of Wapsi Square until Monday, July 7th. We may, however, get a single frame holiday treat.

I too look forward to learning if Nadette possesses (or is possessed by) clairvoyance (clear seeing) or is, herself, a seer of some sort. If she is also compelled to utter only the truth when "seeing" then such utterances would do little for her popularity.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Aed wrote:I don't recall who was wishing for a cliff hanger, but I believe that Paul just gave us one. Since tomorrow is the Independence Day holiday in the U.S., I do not expect another installment of Wapsi Square until Monday, July 7th. We may, however, get a single frame holiday treat.

I too look forward to learning if Nadette possesses (or is possessed by) clairvoyance (clear seeing) or is, herself, a seer of some sort. If she is also compelled to utter only the truth when "seeing" then such utterances would do little for her popularity.
If you can, check what Paul put up on Facebook. It'll hold you until tomorrow.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Aleister Crow wrote:A stunned silence now. Tomorrow... KA-BOOM!
Technically, you are correct.

BAM!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Mark N wrote:When Nadette went into autopilot I wondered if she was related to Nudge or Tina (which would mean she was a grandchild of Bia). Maybe Nudge has grand-cookies. (Sorry, heard the phrase recently and fell in love with it (Now I cant remember where :( ))
Grand Cookies? Huh. E.L. Nudge... what will the Keebler elves think of next?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.