For a While 2012-08-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: For a While 2012-08-08

Post by chibichibi01 »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Now that Phix has embedded her nails into her Palm, which will make her tear up, in walks Monica,slowly, over the objections of Euryale and "gently" removes the 'Thorns from the Lioness' paw' ala Daniel and the Lion. Monica dresses Phixs' hand, Phix looks at Monica,says "Thank You,Pumpkin" and cries on Monicas' shoulder.
What'cha Think, good huh?
If I'm recalling my sunday school teachings correctly, Daniel was thrown into a Den of lions by the Persians as punishment for praying. They'd eat him and it would be a grand ol' exocution for the masses, but the lions just laid around and didn't attack him. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_in_the_lions%27_den

The only thorn from the lion's paw story I remember is a fable and the guy's name was Androcles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androcles

But I get your point either way, and i think it would be a terrible idea for Monica to do that. She'd get mauled in the state Phix is in.
ImageImage
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Atomic wrote:Hmmm. Take one blood feud, simmer for millenia, reopen wound and stir. Yep - one hell of a recipe. For what, however, I'm not sure.

Is it possible that immortality ultimately makes you stupid? As in unable to learn (vs. unwilling)?
I think that's been a theme in several series I've read. Nathan Brazil has a sort of limited memory: he only recalls what's pertinent, so when going back to the Well of Souls after a long time (like millions of years) he needs a little time to recall what it's all about.

Hmmmm. There was at least one more example, but my mind is too full, and can't bring it out...
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Now that Phix has embedded her nails into her Palm, which will make her tear up, in walks Monica,slowly, over the objections of Euryale and "gently" removes the 'Thorns from the Lioness' paw' ala Daniel and the Lion. Monica dresses Phixs' hand, Phix looks at Monica,says "Thank You,Pumpkin" and cries on Monicas' shoulder.
What'cha Think, good huh?
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

As for the off-topic stuff, as a mod I have no objection to discussions ranging far afield as long as a thread doesn't get terminally hijacked. The question about hotlinking images was a good one - I've seen it done in other fora and it seems to be largely a matter of preference. As was said, there are enough ban-hammers in WapsiSpace now that I don't think trolls or spammers will ever be a problem here.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Normally, I'm all for a catfight, but if there's a throwdown in or around the Library, I'm putting shields up, and warming up the warp engines for Emergency Back Away Quickly.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As the person running the server, I would prefer to NOT do hotlinking. The issue becomes bandwidth. When you hotlink an image, everyone that loads the page gets the image - and they've already loaded it from the main web site. If they go back to the thread later, they'll load it _again_.

The bandwidth could easily quadruple, if the forums got quite busy.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm on a few PHP forums for web comics, and the best example that I have seen has been the Ma3 forum. Giz simply puts the URL for the day's comic in the first post after she uploads the comic to the main server for comics. The fora are on a separate server so that DOS attacks against the fora won't also shut down the comic and vice-versa. It works, but I'm sure there are better solutions.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote:... The issue becomes bandwidth ...
Understood, and it's a very valid concern. I've been very impressed with how "snappy" the forum feels - fast server response, and (I think) efficient easily-rendered HTML. I personally prefer that (in a forum) to a super-graphics-rich multimedia experience.

Maybe just including a clickable link in the first article in the day's thread would be a good solution?
displaced

Post by displaced »

dumb question. Did I read this correctly? Did Bia create an immortal phoenix that hates her?
Dave

Post by Dave »

displaced wrote:dumb question. Did I read this correctly? Did Bia create an immortal phoenix that hates her?
Well, as I read it, Bia now has at least two people who (may) hate her. Phix seems to be quite furious with Bia.

Shelly may very well hate Bia, once the shock wears off and she comes down from Sunset Hoodoo and learns just how thoroughly (and callously) Bia has manipulated things and people. On the other hand, Bia's status as Shelly's mother may earn her some slack with Shelly (or, may make the hurt and hate even worse).

Bia may have been assuming all along that she could "run things" (specifically, Shelly) - just step back into Shelly's life at a convenient point, and direct Shelly towards whatever arcane goal Bia seems to have in mind. If she did believe that, it just goes to show how dysfunctional and insensitive Bia is - seriously lacking in emotional understanding. She may have (or personify) Force, but she seems to be rolling 0 on the Subtlety and Charisma and Empathy dice.

I don't think it's going to be that easy for Bia. As Bob Dylan sang in The Times They Are-A Changing:
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

At least we know that Bia understands that she is disconnected from others From this strip.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Bookworm wrote:As the person running the server, I would prefer to NOT do hotlinking. The issue becomes bandwidth. When you hotlink an image, everyone that loads the page gets the image - and they've already loaded it from the main web site. If they go back to the thread later, they'll load it _again_.

okeyboke, question answered. fank oo. :)
Leak

Post by Leak »

Bookworm wrote:As the person running the server, I would prefer to NOT do hotlinking. The issue becomes bandwidth. When you hotlink an image, everyone that loads the page gets the image - and they've already loaded it from the main web site. If they go back to the thread later, they'll load it _again_.

What about putting ye olde regular link to the archive page for today's strip in the first post? That way you'll have to click on that link before anything puts extra load on the server...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I certainly don't see issues with standard links - just hotlinking. Most people already _know_ the strip. They don't need to see it in front of them on the topic page :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Bookworm wrote:I certainly don't see issues with standard links - just hotlinking. Most people already _know_ the strip. They don't need to see it in front of them on the topic page :)
Maybe so, but when someone comments in a three month old thread after it's been dead for 2 and a half months a link to the strip sure helps jog one's memory... :)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Leak wrote:
Bookworm wrote:I certainly don't see issues with standard links - just hotlinking. Most people already _know_ the strip. They don't need to see it in front of them on the topic page :)
Maybe so, but when someone comments in a three month old thread after it's been dead for 2 and a half months a link to the strip sure helps jog one's memory... :)
Yeah - that's why the standard thread titling convention here has been specified to include the page title and the date.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Leak wrote:
Yeah - that's why the standard thread titling convention here has been specified to include the page title and the date.
And this system has worked very well for other long running strips such "Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic".
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

YAFGC has a forum? I have been reading that thing for over 2 years now and I didn't know they had a forum... I shall have to go look and be more attentive to the navigation buttons...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Rabbit Roulette

Post by Rabbit Roulette »

I vaguely recall some mention of Shelly having brothers. Would they be immortals as well, and would their daughters have the potential to become sphinxes?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Rabbit Roulette wrote:I vaguely recall some mention of Shelly having brothers. Would they be immortals as well, and would their daughters have the potential to become sphinxes?
That's a good question. Yes, Shelly's "character page" on the main Wapsi site says that she has seven older brothers. None of them (as far as I can recall) has ever been seen or even named in the strip. From what Bia has said (and assuming that they are Shelly's "full brothers") they would be half-titan, quarter-sphinx, probably unable to form-change themselves, but (as you suggest) their daughters might inherit the ability... and these brothers might be both strong and long-lived.