For a While 2012-08-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: For a While 2012-08-08

Post by Fairportfan »

Or they may be half-brothers.

And we might have to lay a(nother) murder at Bia's feet.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:Or they may be half-brothers.

I was wondering about that (rather dire) possibility. I don't recall any mention, though, of Shelly's father having been widowered and then remarried... and since Nudge made a point of Bia's having been Shelly's father's childhood friend and then married him, a secret murder/substitution doesn't seem to fit.

AFAICS, everything we've been told is consistent with Bia being the clan's mother. Who knows... if you live for thousands of years, maybe you save up a whole lot of maternal drive?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Or they may be half-brothers.

I was wondering about that (rather dire) possibility. I don't recall any mention, though, of Shelly's father having been widowered and then remarried... and since Nudge made a point of Bia's having been Shelly's father's childhood friend and then married him, a secret murder/substitution doesn't seem to fit.

AFAICS, everything we've been told is consistent with Bia being the clan's mother. Who knows... if you live for thousands of years, maybe you save up a whole lot of maternal drive?
Removing murder from the table, it is also possible that Shelly's dad was married and divorced before Bia decided to take him off the market. This is assuming of course that Bia is not the mother of the whole brood but wanted a daughter that bad.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

MrFireDragon wrote:I wonder what creative venting technique will Phix use to calm herself down...... I am guessing we are in for a surprise
Well, she is holding her bleeding hand over a mozaic that includes the name of Bia, so I would guess some kind of curse or blood oath.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:I was wondering about that (rather dire) possibility. I don't recall any mention, though, of Shelly's father having been widowered and then remarried... and since Nudge made a point of Bia's having been Shelly's father's childhood friend and then married him, a secret murder/substitution doesn't seem to fit.
Oh, come on. Bump off his wife, then, as the childhood friend, console him, "fall in love" with him, and marry him...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:Oh, come on. Bump off his wife, then, as the childhood friend, console him, "fall in love" with him, and marry him...
While possible, I still think that Bia as mother of the whole brood fits pretty well. After all, if she was trying for a Titan/Sphinx hybrid who could change form, she would stick around and keep having babies until she managed to have a little girl. It's the only reason I could see for popping out that many kiddos (I really don't understand those 14 kid families).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:Oh, come on. Bump off his wife, then, as the childhood friend, console him, "fall in love" with him, and marry him...
You could be quite correct. I'm simply saying that there has never (to my knowledge) been any indication presented in the strip, that Mr. Wahnee was married more than once. Nor is there any evidence against this, as far as I'm aware... there's a lot about the Wahnee family that has simply never been revealed.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

My2Cents wrote:
MrFireDragon wrote:I wonder what creative venting technique will Phix use to calm herself down...... I am guessing we are in for a surprise
Well, she is holding her bleeding hand over a mozaic that includes the name of Bia, so I would guess some kind of curse or blood oath.
Most oaths of that pantheon are made to Styx, Bia's mother, who earned that distinction through her (and her children's) loyalty to Zeus. So I don't think that's an avenue of vengeance that Phix would want to persue. Her petition would only fall before opponents to consider (though who knows what current Olympian politics are really) and sphinxes, of all beings, know how words can be twisted against themselves.

There is another option available to her, and it is a doozy. If that's what she's doing, Monica would likely recognize her actions... and I don't know if she would try to stop her...

But I suspect it would be the Day When Everything Changes.

“I always interpret coincidences as little clues to our destiny.”
―Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
You could be quite correct. I'm simply saying that there has never (to my knowledge) been any indication presented in the strip, that Mr. Wahnee was married more than once. Nor is there any evidence against this, as far as I'm aware... there's a lot about the Wahnee family that has simply never been revealed.
Murder is a crime Stygians would be sensitive to. I doubt witnessing the Chimera's genocide left Bia with much of a taste for it.

However I had noticed that Shelly has a third grandmother... unless Phix or Styx arrived to cook for her now and then:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/04212003/

Logic suggests that Popcorn Grandma is Shelly's dad's adoptive mother.

There's a perspective I'd be dying to hear.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.