Cricket And Jugs 2014-06-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Cricket And Jugs 2014-06-26

Post by DilyV »

analyst wrote:So, if Castila is "Speed", the moniker of "Mother" is still open...
Katherine.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:...together, they fight crime!

;)
No, no, that's Crockett and TUBBS.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Mark N wrote:Taking the speech pattern I can say that she is from either Chicago or Brooklyn. Both dialects have similarities (but Brooklyn sounds more likely in my head).

And at lunch she is likely to meet the twins as well.
I don't suppose Cricket could have an 'Aussie' accent ? :?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"Beep-Beep!" BEARNG!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Awwww...dey's friends! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Ya know, this might be exactly what Atsali needs to get past being all self-conscious about her, um...size.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

analyst wrote:So, if Castila is "Speed", the moniker of "Mother" is still open...
Not really - Atsali is going to take Cricket home and introduce her to Katherine.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Mother, Jugs, and Speed, you say?
I don't have to tell you people times are tough. You read the papers! The country is going to hell! Now you take inflation, recession, welfare, there's nothing we can do about that. But thanks to muggings, malnutrition, assassination and disease, we got a chance to make a buck!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Leak

Post by Leak »

Dave wrote:... and now I'm going to have to do a Web resource-troll, looking for a really convincing "BEARNG!" springy-sound. :)
Accept no substitutes:

The Prodigy - Out Of Space
Dave

Post by Dave »

Leak wrote:
Dave wrote:... and now I'm going to have to do a Web resource-troll, looking for a really convincing "BEARNG!" springy-sound. :)
Accept no substitutes:

The Prodigy - Out Of Space
Yeah, that's along the right lines!

Here are a couple which aren't at all bad.

http://soundbible.com/266-Boing-Cartoonish.html
http://soundbible.com/85-Cartoon-Hop.html
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Dave

Post by Dave »

Thank you! Excellent.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

We seem to be assuming that Calista is a good influence and becoming friends is going to be the making of a great team. Calista is starting to seem like the tough girl that leads with her fist, not her head. I suspect she might be a trouble maker and goes looking for things to get into. She's strong and tough and ready to take on the world. She also seems to be insensitive about others. Jugs is not a good nickname for Sali. She's so self conscious about them why accept a nickname that brags about them. It is also slightly degrading when you think about it.
Sali is also short of friends so being accepted by Calista and including in the circle of a tough girl seems like a good thing. All we can do is wait and see but I think this has the chance to turn into a problem for Sali if she hangs with Calista. Who knows what scrapes she might end up in and maybe even fights. Who knows maybe the mermaid will drop a hint on Sali that hanging with the cricket isn't the best thing to do.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

She seems rather like a young Shelly, from what we've heard about her younger years - remember that Shelly was a bit of a bully in school.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm trying to imagine a Cricket-sized mobile phone.
The electronics can be miniaturized that deep, but an 800MHz phone still needs an antenna... a quarter-wave radiator is just shy of 80% of Calista's height.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AmriloJim wrote:
The electronics can be miniaturized that deep, but an 800MHz phone still needs an antenna... a quarter-wave radiator is just shy of 80% of Calista's height.
Perhaps some sort of a repeater/amplifier system: the repeaters can be installed in places where she is likely to often be found (home, school, jail, wherever), and then she only needs to carry around a tiny weak little transceiver unit that can reach the repeaters. Her phone then wouldn't even need to use normal cell-phone wavelengths. She'd be out of luck if she went to someplace different, of course.

Or she could just keep a regular phone in a bag, and haul it around with her. She's likely strong enough for that. And at least she wouldn't have problems trying to press the ridiculously tiny little buttons some of these newer models have.

Or she could just use MiB-tech. Re-write the Akashic records so that the other person's phone suddenly has the information that you wanted to send to it, or have a phone where only part of the device was in normal space and the rest of its workings are in something similar to Bud's tummy-storage space, or something like that. That would probably cost more than the usual phone contract, I'd expect.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:
Surely there are alternatives available to her.

I'll bet her cellphone has an E-H crossed-field fractal Isotron antenna. I'm sure it works great.

This is a fantasy strip, after all. :mrgreen:
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave wrote:This is a fantasy strip, after all. :mrgreen:
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Glad to see that others were also trying to determine the actual 'sound' of BEARNG!
From the sound clip provided by Paul it really comes across more like a BOING! seeing as the 'EA' phoneme would have a more swallowing resonance in English speaking ears. Plus I like to think that old PW slips in 'BEA' every so often.

I actually have a problem with JUGS liking to associate with CRICKET as Ms. Bearng is obviously a bully.
Bullies are themselves either cowards, lack proper self-worth or have some manner of asocial defect (of a combination of the above) - they choose to act the way they do out of fear, inappropriate resolution skills or a total disregard / lack of empathy. Not really an individual one would want (or should) hang out with.

Also - I am not going to even touch the various scale problems with a creature that is around 6 cm tall - this is just a comic and magic to boot.
Julie

Post by Julie »

zachariah wrote:We seem to be assuming that Calista is a good influence and becoming friends is going to be the making of a great team. Calista is starting to seem like the tough girl that leads with her fist, not her head. I suspect she might be a trouble maker and goes looking for things to get into. She's strong and tough and ready to take on the world.
All the more reason why it will be interesting an awesome if they become friends. Besides...maybe Calista just gives Atsali a taste of being self-assured, but in the end it's Atsali who is an influence on Calista. :) It could happen! :P
zachariah wrote:She also seems to be insensitive about others. Jugs is not a good nickname for Sali. She's so self conscious about them why accept a nickname that brags about them. It is also slightly degrading when you think about it.
Fair point, but sometimes this kind of nickname is the best way to learn to accept who you are...awkward features and all. Sometimes having it thrust in your face in a matter-of-fact way (especially by someone who clearly has figured out in two seconds that there's more to you than the rack you have through no fault of your own) is the best way to learn to see that it's just a recognizable feature, and not something that defines who you are. If the nickname was given by someone who didn't seem to have an ounce of respect for her, or who truly believed that "big boobs = airheaded slut" then it would definitely be degrading and generally a bad idea for a girl like Atsali. Her reaction to Calista this far already shows that she isn't likely to be really hurt by the moniker...she picked up on the respect and (whether or not she even consciously realizes it) knows that it's possible for someone to see her breasts but also see past them. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."