Stupid Diary 2014-04-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Stupid Diary 2014-04-24

Post by Catawampus »

Apparently Atsali needs to learn encryption. Or get better locks.
My2Cents wrote:Kathryn is going to need some time in the Library checking paranormals compatibilities.
Or, given the rather tangled yet pre-planned family tree that we're gradually seeing revealed amongst the cast, simply ask Bia. "What, a siren and an akkorokamui? Yeah, been there, done that. Kinky."

Hmm. . .though for that matter, considering that the students at the school are taking on human shapes that don't necessarily have anything to do with their real forms, there's no guarantee that the "cute boy" is even actually a boy, or has a sex at all. Looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend at that school could be more complicated than is usual for high school students.
scantrontb wrote:
3. And now the difficult part -- Inquiring as to what species the boy Atsali is interested in is? Think about it, that is going to be more important than religion for paranormals. Odds are Atsali doesn't know.
why a racist comment like that, who cares what species he is?
Well, given the attitudes that we've already seen directed towards sirens (slutty boyfriend-stealers) and vampires (parasitic trash to be casually killed and swept aside), it's pretty clear that the paranormal world is just as racist (speciesist/whateverist) as is any human society. So it would be a good idea for Katherine to know ahead of time what social hurdles her daughter is likely to be facing if she gets involved with this guy. She could find herself in a position similar to that of the mother of a black kid who has a crush on that cute white kid while living in 1950's Mississippi. Knowing what problems to expect might help prevent those problems, or at least have her ready to react to them.

Besides, some species might have some specific problems with compatibility. Imagine dating somebody who, upon reaching puberty, will at unpredictable intervals involuntarily radiate large doses of gamma rays. That's the sort of detail that you'd want to learn about ahead of time, before you start with the internal hemorrhaging.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Come on Atsali!

You're young enough to know that diaries should be strongly encrypted.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Sidhekin wrote:Come on Atsali!

Or perhaps Castela is some sort of decryption savant?

Of course, sometimes your encryption isn't quite as clever as you think it is, too. A teenaged girl I knew was sitting at a table in a crowded public area quite complacently writing in her diary, sure that her thoughts were secure because she was writing in futhorc runes. She was considerably shocked and dismayed when I walked up beside her and casually started correcting her spelling.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Historically, the Cæsar cipher was used with the fuþark runes, so likely the fuþorc as well.

Though that's hardly strong encryption either.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Oh, critter!
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

*flings self through window*
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
illiad

Post by illiad »

y'know, its friday tomorrow... :P get yer neck braces on, fer whiplash... or not... (hey he does need rest, guys!! :D )
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:Come on Atsali!

Or perhaps Castela is some sort of decryption savant?

Of course, sometimes your encryption isn't quite as clever as you think it is, too. A teenaged girl I knew was sitting at a table in a crowded public area quite complacently writing in her diary, sure that her thoughts were secure because she was writing in futhorc runes. She was considerably shocked and dismayed when I walked up beside her and casually started correcting her spelling.
As I understand it, writing English in straightforward futhorc runes would generally be considered "coding" rather than "encryption", as it's a single-key system. As you showed, anyone who knows the coding conventions can decode it. In effect it's just the use of a different font.

Some decades ago (early 70's) a college friend of mine who was heavily into both SF and fantasy, sent off an order for tickets to the upcoming Star Trek convention in New York City. As requested he included a self-addressed stamped envelope. In the lower left corner of the envelope, he spelled out the phrase "Convention tickets" in Tengwar (I can't recall whether he used the Quenya mode or Sindaran mode).

When he got the envelope back, someone had written "Frodo gave his finger for you" to the right of his Tengwar script.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I am worried about these kids fighting. Not arguing, fighting.

1) Castela hints that she may have killed someone.
2) Lots of plants - and thorny desert plants - have toxins, from mild to *THUD*.
3) for a mostly plantlike critterine, them's some impressive fangular teeth.
4) fighting little kids will bite if grappled - lots of mechanical advantage in the jaws, even little kids'.

and if Atsali gets angry enough, there's the seven-foot winged half raptor form 'that can rip a man in half' - but I think there is little danger to Castela - Atsali is old enough that reason can still rein in everything but blind rage.

Unlike Castela.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

scantrontb wrote:
My2Cents wrote:This is going to get interesting. Kathryn going to have her child wrangling skills tested
1. Keep Atsali under control
that's easy.. yell "Go to your room!" when she balks, yell it again... and if she's feeling generous, add in "I'LL deal with Castela, now GO!"
The odds are good that they are in Atsali's room (compair the backgrounds http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pajama-top/]
2. Get Castela to understand exactly why she has just been grounded for a week
IF Kat survives the next few minutes, sure... remember that conversation Castela had with Tina about other kids being mean, by saying that she killed somebody?... this may be how, the person she killed tried to get in between a p.o.'ed Castela and whomever she was going for at the time. then again, remember Atsali's cut off comment from when she kicked Katherine in the face( during the adventure)? that implies that a "normal" human would NOT have survived that kick, but the fact that Kat DID survive meant that she is NOT a "normal" human, but something else.. so Katherine might be able to survive a fight/tantrum with a fully transformed Castela.
Considering how Kathryn came to be, from fusing 6 premature infants, it is very unlikely she is human. A chromosome count would be interesting to see. Consider also the power people with multiple souls are supposed to have in some cultures she could be another sub-titan.
3. And now the difficult part -- Inquiring as to what species the boy Atsali is interested in is? Think about it, that is going to be more important than religion for paranormals. Odds are Atsali doesn't know.
why a racist comment like that, who cares what species he is? she can like who she likes... the IMPORTANT question is: Does He REALLY Like Her Back?... and by that i mean, NOT for her stereotypical reputation as a "sure thing", but for HERSELF as a person... and in this matter i really hope that Monica is brought in for consulting/brain-picking for strategies to find out, since she's had to deal with crap like that from 3rd grade on.
First there is basic physical compatibility. What is he is the offspring of this lady http://wapsisquare.com/comic/this-is-better/, given Atsali’s response in http://wapsisquare.com/comic/here-i-am/?
Then there are the genetic factors, it is unlikely that all the races are intercompatible. Would you like Atsali to fall in love and marry a guy knowing everyone of her children would die before puberty? It could happen.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:I am worried about these kids fighting. Not arguing, fighting.

1) Castela hints that she may have killed someone.
2) Lots of plants - and thorny desert plants - have toxins, from mild to *THUD*.
3) for a mostly plantlike critterine, them's some impressive fangular teeth.
4) fighting little kids will bite if grappled - lots of mechanical advantage in the jaws, even little kids'.

and if Atsali gets angry enough, there's the seven-foot winged half raptor form 'that can rip a man in half' - but I think there is little danger to Castela - Atsali is old enough that reason can still rein in everything but blind rage.

Unlike Castela.....
Speaking of "blind rage".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber