Just Children 2014-04-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Just Children 2014-04-17

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:I'll bet this is a first for Bud... "Busty-Mom-Hugs", from a FIFTEEN year old!!
Honestly, that's the part that puzzles me... After all her talk about body image self-consciousness, I would have thought she'd be more careful about something like that. Even if she is genre-blind, and did not think it would end up as marshmallow hell, I get the vibe that a busty-mom hug is more of a "calm down, let me comfort you" kind of thing, whereas she is thanking Bud for not forgetting that they are kids... a thank you hug, in my mind ( I could be wrong, but that is such a rare occurence that I don't even entertain that thought ;) ), would be more evenly done, so that the people end up with shoulders matched, and heads side-by-side, meaning that the taller of the two would be leaning forward in order to do so.

My two cents worth... Of course, being Canadian, that's probably not worth much in USD... :P
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

lake_wrangler wrote:I get the vibe that a busty-mom hug is more of a "calm down, let me comfort you" kind of thing,
Yes, the Busty Mom Hug is a specific variant of the Cooldown Hug
whereas she is thanking Bud for not forgetting that they are kids... a thank you hug
Atsali may not be intending for it to be any more than a thank you hug but it will probably have a calming effect on Bud anyway.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

shadowinthelight wrote:Atsali may not be intending for it to be any more than a thank you hug but it will probably have a calming effect on Bud anyway.
Oh, I'm quite sure that's the case. I find Atsali to be too forthright to take her at anything but face value.

I just find it odd, that she would go from "Aaaah! These are so big, it's embarrassing!" to "Let me thank you by smooshing your face in these..." (Especially since it comes right after saying "You see us as the kids we are, no matter how we look"...)

Odd, yes. But I'm quite convinced she is sincerely doing this as a "thank you" hug.

In fact, it has just occurred to me that since she has her eyes closed, she may not even realize she's moved into marshmallow hell territory, as she is probably not yet used to hugging people with her new assets in place...

There. I think I just answered myself...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Atsali may not be intending for it to be any more than a thank you hug but it will probably have a calming effect on Bud anyway.
Oh, I'm quite sure that's the case. I find Atsali to be too forthright to take her at anything but face value.

I just find it odd, that she would go from "Aaaah! These are so big, it's embarrassing!" to "Let me thank you by smooshing your face in these..." (Especially since it comes right after saying "You see us as the kids we are, no matter how we look"...)

Odd, yes. But I'm quite convinced she is sincerely doing this as a "thank you" hug.

In fact, it has just occurred to me that since she has her eyes closed, she may not even realize she's moved into marshmallow hell territory, as she is probably not yet used to hugging people with her new assets in place...

There. I think I just answered myself...
We must remember that the island is a family retreat to her. People react differently when surrounded by only family than they do in general public. We also do not know how much time has passed between all of the events at school and now (she would have had lots of help with her self image from the Ursa twins I would imagine) .
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Atsali may not be intending for it to be any more than a thank you hug but it will probably have a calming effect on Bud anyway.
A temporary lack of oxygen would certainly quiet me down, I think.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Atsali is surrounded by some of the most powerful beings in existance-most of whom are family or family friends. She can relax, feel safe, and allow herself to be a child. Which is probably a nice change from having to be mature, be tough. She's gone through losing her parents, life at an orphanage, looking out for Castella, school stress, siren puberty and all that goes with it. I'd say that hug was impulsive and sincere.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

chicgeek wrote:siren puberty
I known what you are talking about but that gave me the mental image of some girl waking up in the morning to alarm sirens ringing chaotically and her parents barging in, "Congratulations! You're becoming a woman!".
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:
chicgeek wrote:siren puberty
I known what you are talking about but that gave me the mental image of some girl waking up in the morning to alarm sirens ringing chaotically and her parents barging in, "Congratulations! You're becoming a woman!".
And that is different than what Atsali experienced, because... :?:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Mark N wrote:We must remember that the island is a family retreat to her. People react differently when surrounded by only family than they do in general public. We also do not know how much time has passed between all of the events at school and now (she would have had lots of help with her self image from the Ursa twins I would imagine) .
Yeah, I think it's the difference between her reactions around strangers or the abstract general public and her reactions around specific friends/"family". Compare how she acted about her body when in gym class compared to how she acted when with Berdine and Nadette after she got to know them. Bud is one of the people who first started helping her with her self-image after puberty attacked.
shadowinthelight wrote:I known what you are talking about but that gave me the mental image of some girl waking up in the morning to alarm sirens ringing chaotically and her parents barging in, "Congratulations! You're becoming a woman!".
Wait, you mean that that isn't how it happens for girls? I am disappointed.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Catawampus wrote:
Mark N wrote:We must remember that the island is a family retreat to her. People react differently when surrounded by only family than they do in general public. We also do not know how much time has passed between all of the events at school and now (she would have had lots of help with her self image from the Ursa twins I would imagine) .
Yeah, I think it's the difference between her reactions around strangers or the abstract general public and her reactions around specific friends/"family". Compare how she acted about her body when in gym class compared to how she acted when with Berdine and Nadette after she got to know them. Bud is one of the people who first started helping her with her self-image after puberty attacked.
shadowinthelight wrote:I known what you are talking about but that gave me the mental image of some girl waking up in the morning to alarm sirens ringing chaotically and her parents barging in, "Congratulations! You're becoming a woman!".
Wait, you mean that that isn't how it happens for girls? I am disappointed.
I think it does happen like that--at least partly--in some tribes in Africa.