The Sword 2014-04-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

The Sword 2014-04-16

Post by shadowinthelight »

Castela:

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Re: The Sword 2014-04-16

Post by Fairportfan »

Panel Three!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I knew that was coming but wanted to see how it was executed. And it was exeCUTEd perfectly by Castela.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Poor Acacia, that little thorn is a smart ass as well. I fear for the other kids when she gets older.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

That answers whether Castela has a twisted sense of humor....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

I read/heard somewhere that up to a certain age (not sure what age) kids have no
concept of their bodies having internal organs. That their insides are homogeneous,
like a baked potato.

In Castela's case, that's true?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:That answers whether Castela has a twisted sense of humor....
yup.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Mark N wrote:Poor Acacia, that little thorn is a smart ass as well. I fear for the other kids when she gets older.
... for those who wondered which animal Castela comprises, I assume.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Sidhekin wrote:
Mark N wrote:Poor Acacia, that little thorn is a smart ass as well. I fear for the other kids when she gets older.
... for those who wondered which animal Castela comprises, I assume.
:twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Poor Bud! I suspect she's about to cease the boozing and switch to something more soothing - chamomile tea, or maybe ginger ale & some saltine crackers.
jayessell wrote:I read/heard somewhere that up to a certain age (not sure what age) kids have no concept of their bodies having internal organs. That their insides are homogeneous, like a baked potato.

It certainly appears so, but I'd still like to know how she can still speak so well (for her, anyway) with the scissors going clean through her larynx (or where the larynx would be, if she has one)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:Poor Bud! I suspect she's about to cease the boozing and switch to something more soothing - chamomile tea, or maybe ginger ale & some saltine crackers.
jayessell wrote:I read/heard somewhere that up to a certain age (not sure what age) kids have no concept of their bodies having internal organs. That their insides are homogeneous, like a baked potato.

It certainly appears so, but I'd still like to know how she can still speak so well (for her, anyway) with the scissors going clean through her larynx (or where the larynx would be, if she has one)
I am guessing that all human rules are out the window when dealing with Castela. As for voice, I would guess it is a type of projection rather than air through a voice box.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:I am guessing that all human rules are out the window when dealing with Castela. As for voice, I would guess it is a type of projection rather than air through a voice box.
Who needs vocal cords when you can vibrate leafy material?

And just because, here are vocal cords up close while singing.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

shadowinthelight wrote:Castela:

Yes.

Oh she'd get it if she were my child!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aunt Phix: "That's 'Excalibur', sweetie. You'd say 'ex-caliber' if you'd accidentally shot yourself, and then pulled out the bullet. Proper spelling is important! Now, go and have fun with your sword... you can pretend you're one of thə swashbuckling pirətes in 'Treasəre Islənd'."

Poor Bud! That was one hell of a scare. I wonder what a horrified adrenaline rush feels like, in a clay golem body.

I have a feeling that Bud's "morning after" is going to be one for the record books... can't recall whether Paul has ever declared whether her golem programming/emulation is complete enough for her to barf. :(
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Mark N wrote: As for voice, I would guess it is a type of projection rather than air through a voice box.
It has to be air moved past a small leave or a few thin vines. They vibrate in the air to make the voice. You can make a loud whistle from a blade of grass just as easily. Given her control over her body I expect she will be able to create any sound she wants when she grows up. Maybe even have multiple voices at once. She could create her own three, or four, part harmony.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I had a thought. If they were playing Ex-cliber and it went through her throat, would that make it the "Sword in the Tone"?

Drop a tuning fork into the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:I had a thought. If they were playing Ex-cliber and it went through her throat, would that make it the "Sword in the Tone"?
*wince*

She could have done it the other way around, though, to take proper advantage of her status as a (half) plant. If she had accidentally impaled herself with a knife chipped out of flint or obsidian, it would have been "The Stone in the Sward."
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

You'd think Bud, being not-quite-human herself, would have done a doubletake and then remembered... But of course she's been drinking.

(Hm. Would Tepoz have been able to invoke the chimera, 'way back when, if they had no longer been affected by alcohol?)

((Which reminds me: Did we ever get a pronunciation guide for all the characters' names? For no good reason, I've been tending to shift the z in Tepoztecal slightly toward zh...))
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

loxmyth wrote:You'd think Bud, being not-quite-human herself, would have done a doubletake and then remembered... But of course she's been drinking.

(Hm. Would Tepoz have been able to invoke the chimera, 'way back when, if they had no longer been affected by alcohol?)

((Which reminds me: Did we ever get a pronunciation guide for all the characters' names? For no good reason, I've been tending to shift the z in Tepoztecal slightly toward zh...))
I've always wondered if it was MY-a-whel Or MAY-a-whel...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Pablo has been silent on both pronunciations.

I say it "Tee-pause-teh-cal" and "May-a-hell".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin