Grandcritter 2014-04-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Grandcritter 2014-04-14

Post by zachariah »

pwbritt wrote:Hey Folks,

I have forgotten who Lilli's child is and who her grandcritter would be. Can someone fill me in?

PWB
From the Katherine Gilcrest Adventure: Lily is one of Kathy's 6 parents. Kathy is the combination of 6 children put into the same crystal during the Ethian evacuation. Lily was one of the mothers with Quadruplets whose extras, above three, made up Kathy. That makes Castella her adopted sandcritter.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

This isn't the first time Lily's been intimidated by those who are higher up in the food chain, so to speak, but I don't believe it's affected her quite this severely before. :| I hope she's OK.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Huh. I thought Lily was like 150 at the most.
CPUGuy1

Post by CPUGuy1 »

Snerk! ;)
Castela seems to know how to live, from one cliche to another.
You Go, Girl!
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Lily looks like one of those days of "reviewing marriage" and wondering... "What the hell have I gotten myself into!!!"
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Dave

Post by Dave »

starkruzr wrote:Huh. I thought Lily was like 150 at the most.
I think that's about right... for Suzi.

Lily is much older than that... about thirty times older. She died and became a vampire approximately 5000 years ago.

Kath (Lily's 6-way-chimera daughter) is chronologically just that old, but biologically no older than she appears. She was "frozen" in a recording crystal from the time that she was formed (from Lily's unborn daughter and five other unborn), until she was discovered in a cave several decades ago.

It's not surprising that Lily might be a bit world-weary... but also quite practiced in maintaining her existence and avoiding unnecessary hazards. As Kosh said to Sheridan, "When you've lived as long as I have... well, you kind of get used to it."

Lily was being so grumpy about it that Suzi shot her (just to get her attention, y'know) and offered to kill her if Lily really wanted an "out".
Last edited by Dave on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

So now we're somewhat seeing Bud's worries from the other side of the situation. If somebody such as Bud were to get angry or even just careless, there's not much that most people could do about it. When the extra-durable cast members spend part of their time in a society where displays of great strength and violence are casual events, and then another part of their time among soft squishy people, there's the worry that they'll forget just which set of social standards to follow in any given situation. With Tina, even though she's apparently potentially more powerful than Shelly, she is still vulnerable and so is constrained in her actions by laws imposed upon her (as well as by her own personal morality, of course). Personal survival tends to be a pretty good motivator for being mindful of your actions. With somebody such as Bud or Brandi or Monica, though, all that somebody in Lily's position can depend on is the more powerful person's good nature and consideration. . .and if word got out about Monica's giving Nudge a lava bath in a moment of pique, then that's not exactly going to be making Lily feel any more confident. Saying, "Oh, but afterward she'll feel really bad about having utterly obliterated you" isn't exactly a huge relief.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Atomic wrote:May be she needs a sunshine enema from Tina?
Ouch. That sounds like it would burn.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I guess happy squiggles aren't scared of scissors. Hope someone brought a planter for Castela to snooze in when sleep finally catches up to her.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:I guess happy squiggles aren't scared of scissors. Hope someone brought a planter for Castela to snooze in when sleep finally catches up to her.
Well, there's the Bud-crater, and the Bia-crater, and I'm sure somebody would be glad to excavate her a hole back in the shade of the trees somewhere.

As long as there are no grazing animals on the island, this ought to be safe enough.
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:Tell me if I'm taking this too far...

How does Castela even eat? When she goes from unraveled to humanoid shape, does she shape internal organs as well? And if so, were she to unravel suddenly, shortly after having eaten, would the remains of whatever is yet to be digested fall to the ground? And if she does not shape internal organs, how does she process her food? I mean, it's obvious that she eats... So how? :shock:
well I guess like most plants, she absorbs it through her 'plant stems' (you know, you just spray on 'plant food' in RL) if she unravels, you would see bits of the food stuck to them.. I will bet she was taught to 'eat' like normal people.. :P

"hey, I can actually 'chew solid stuff' like my aunt!" :D :D
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

illiad wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Tell me if I'm taking this too far...

How does Castela even eat? When she goes from unraveled to humanoid shape, does she shape internal organs as well? And if so, were she to unravel suddenly, shortly after having eaten, would the remains of whatever is yet to be digested fall to the ground? And if she does not shape internal organs, how does she process her food? I mean, it's obvious that she eats... So how? :shock:
well I guess like most plants, she absorbs it through her 'plant stems' (you know, you just spray on 'plant food' in RL) if she unravels, you would see bits of the food stuck to them.. I will bet she was taught to 'eat' like normal people.. :P

"hey, I can actually 'chew solid stuff' like my aunt!" :D :D
It is also possible that she has access to hammer-space.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Sidhekin wrote:
Mark N wrote:
DilyV wrote:I can't shake the feeling someone is dreaming... My dreams are like this... nothing makes sense, everything is counter to common sense... silly shit happens that wouldn't normally.

Still, last panel... EPIC.
The last panel and Lilly's last comment about her adopted grandcritter having an air of omnipotence nay be more connected than it seems. What if the finding things in Atsali's bra was an actual event and not just rule of funny?
"Air of omnipotence"? That makes sense.

I was trying to figure out what "air omnipotence" could be referring to. I mean, Atsali's not the only one there who can fly, nor even (hah!) the mightiest ...

So yeah, I think there's a typo in that text, and your autocorrect served you well. 8-)

I thought so at first but actually, if we cut her some slack (and by extension, Paul) it turns out it's just fine, if more poetry than prose, grammatically speaking.

"She has a certain 'air omnipotence'..."

It works like that.

PS- I'm glad somebody thought to ask for clarification re: the Vampire's lineage...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lily needs to talk to Jin.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

JSStryker wrote:I think Castela got into the sugary snacks while no one was looking and couple that with it being past her bedtime and her possibly being tired, either something very bad or something hilarious is going to happen!
Something very bad and, at least in much-later retrospect, hilarious.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

But do we get to see Dietzel with a Frisbee before the plot thickens?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Hansontoons wrote:But do we get to see Dietzel with a Frisbee before the plot thickens?
Bia: "What are YOU doing here?!?!?!"
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

MerchManDan wrote:This isn't the first time Lily's been intimidated by those who are higher up in the food chain, so to speak, but I don't believe it's affected her quite this severely before. :| I hope she's OK.
Well, when you 'live' 5,000 years at the bottom of the food chain (where you survive by being either un-noticed or "not worth killing ... today"),
you don't just learn the rules, you are the rules, especially the unwritten ones. (like, If a Sphinx tries to kill you once, don't go to a deserted island with that same Sphinx :shock:)

Honestly, vampires feed off humanity, and most of the (insanely powerfully) beings current sharing the beach with Lily and Suzie are of the 'moral viewpoint' that:

(a) that is a bad thing
(b) they should stop the vampires from doing that
and
(c) the only vampire that doesn't feed on humanity is one with a stake through it's heart (or head clawed off, or ripped into tiny pieces or ... or ... or .... etc)

Yes, they got recruited into the MIB, but that seemed to be all part of the plot to finally destroy the Anasazi(?)

The only reason some of the people on the island are *NOT* trying to kill Lily and Suzie right now is because of Lily's relationship to Katherine.

yes, Suzie and Lily helped 'save the day' and all that, now all they need to do is stop feeding on humans aaaaaand ..... refer option (c)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:But do we get to see Dietzel with a Frisbee before the plot thickens?
Bia: "What are YOU doing here?!?!?!"
"...and where are your other heads?"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:yes, Suzie and Lily helped 'save the day' and all that, now all they need to do is stop feeding on humans aaaaaand ..... refer option (c)
They don't.

Not living humans, at any rate.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber