Eurayle, Medusa, And Stheno. 2014-04-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Re: Eurayle, Medusa, And Stheno. 2014-04-03

Post by shadowinthelight »

Fairportfan wrote:Ummm. They're sisters.

Their snakes are making out.

Is that incest?
I see cuddling, not kissing. So no, the snakes aren't committing incesssssst.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Sisters often hug, especially if they have not seen each other for a while. I see the snakes hugging.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The pic is wonderful Paul. Just take what ever time you need so you don't overtax yourself.
On a side note, if it is allergies a long form remedy I have found is taking a spoonful or so of locally collected honey a day. It builds up your body's immunities against the pollen. The locally collected part is key since only that will be made from the types of pollen that are giving you the problems.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Paul Taylor wrote:Sorry folks, still getting over whatever cold, allergy, sickness thing I’ve had for a few weeks now.
Hey, if you're sick, then you're sick. There's not much you can do about that other than wait until you're feeling better. Besides, I'm always happy to see a bit more of Euryale.
Wyvern wrote:This drawing reminded me that I found a picture of Euryale on Deviantart that might be of interest to the readers. An advantage of using established mythology is that other folks have visited the same source and have their own works.
For a very different take on Euryale, you can check out Iannis Xenakis' "Evryali". . .though personally I'm not a fan of his particular interpretation. Any work for a solo pianist that literally requires three hands to play is a tad too far off into the avant-garde spectrum, I think.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:For a very different take on Euryale, you can check out Iannis Xenakis' "Evryali". . .though personally I'm not a fan of his particular interpretation. Any work for a solo pianist that literally requires three hands to play is a tad too far off into the avant-garde spectrum, I think.
Interesting... a composition which, by design, is literally impossible for the Intended performer to play "as written". You have to simplify or subset it to play it, and there's no one prescribed way.

In a way, what Xenakis has created here feels like the musical equivalent of painting or drawing a moving, living figure. The original is in three dimensions (plus a fourth for time, if moving) and the final image is in two dumensions, so the artist must create a subset image... a projection into 2D space... in order to represent the original at all. Ten artists, painting the same model, may create ten similar and yet distinctly projections based at least in part on where they stand. So it could be with "Evryali".
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:For a very different take on Euryale, you can check out Iannis Xenakis' "Evryali". . .though personally I'm not a fan of his particular interpretation. Any work for a solo pianist that literally requires three hands to play is a tad too far off into the avant-garde spectrum, I think.
Interesting... a composition which, by design, is literally impossible for the Intended performer to play "as written". You have to simplify or subset it to play it, and there's no one prescribed way.

In a way, what Xenakis has created here feels like the musical equivalent of painting or drawing a moving, living figure. The original is in three dimensions (plus a fourth for time, if moving) and the final image is in two dumensions, so the artist must create a subset image... a projection into 2D space... in order to represent the original at all. Ten artists, painting the same model, may create ten similar and yet distinctly projections based at least in part on where they stand. So it could be with "Evryali".
Record one "hand" with a MIDI sequencer...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Interesting... a composition which, by design, is literally impossible for the Intended performer to play "as written". You have to simplify or subset it to play it, and there's no one prescribed way.

I don't know if he did it with this particular piece, but one way in which he'd come up with his music was by mathematically mapping out shapes of images or objects, and then assigning musical notes to the resulting values. It's kind of like a method of encryption I once used. The initial layer of encrypting was done by drawing a landscape sketch or painting. As you'd move across from left to right, you'd measure the distance of certain points above the horizon line, and different distance values represented different letters. So I'd make a nice pretty picture and post it at a certain place for my contact to see it, and then my contact would reply by doing the same. Instead of letters, you could assign musical notes, or colours, or whatever else to "see" objects by a whole different means than usual.

I still think that Xenakis' music is terrible, though. Interesting in concept, bleah in execution. I'm not sure how flattered Euryale would be to have her name attached to it.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

That sounds like the opening to "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who. It was also a mathematical construct with the pitches, notes, and rests all determined by relationship to a formula created for a personality. Most were not very musical but the one chosen for the person the song was named for came out nice.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:That sounds like the opening to "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who. It was also a mathematical construct with the pitches, notes, and rests all determined by relationship to a formula created for a personality. Most were not very musical but the one chosen for the person the song was named for came out nice.
I did not know that.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber