Just Being Mean 2014-04-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Just Being Mean 2014-04-02

Post by Dave »

Based on Tina's expression in the last panel, I get the feeling she hears an ominous viola note being played in the distance.

Could cute little Castela be dangerous, perhaps in ways she doesn't know herself?
NOTDilbert

Re: Just Being Mean 2014-04-02

Post by NOTDilbert »

Castella has on an ominous face. The cute has left the face - that's way too adult a scowl for a five year old.

Also. maybe she's poisonous, and accidentally thorned someone to death....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And we see the horns coming out, Castela is angry.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

OOOk then. That's a bit.... unnerving. I do wonder what the real whole unhappy story is (those who should be in the know are not scared), but still those words coming out of a kid's mouth - eek.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I wonder if, being part plant, Tina can read Castela's aura or if she can only go by the current disturbing visual. :?:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Pufferfish on defense is very dangerous -- likewise Porcupine. Perhaps the little darlin is literally toxic when disturbed/threatened?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Someone needs to make Castela happy fast...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I have been wondering where the horns were. And I can understand why Castela had them in the orphanage. I don't see any way she can be evil, but even plants that can be good for you can kill you if you mess up. I wonder if Kath and Atsali know all this. I assume they do.
Poor Castela. She needs a hug. So does Tina, I think.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

<exact truth>Yes, Castela, I think they were trying to be mean to you.</exact truth>

Hm, she mentioned that her parents, plural, had 'thrown her away,' so whoever she took out wasn't one of them. That hardly narrows it down, though. As an infant or toddler she was probably around a lot of people - and it defies plausibility that they were all resistant to poison, sharp thorns, or what have you.

It would be interesting to find out more about her parents' biology; since she's the only known Whatsit this implies she's an unusual hybrid, probably of two parents who are rare creatures themselves. However, I do not think I would be pleased to meet either of her parents.

Footnote: a bit of research tells me the Castela genus isn't particularly poisonous to mammals (scientific stuff here). The bushes are quite pointy, though; the species Castela emoryi is actually called Crucifixion Thorn. Combine that with her observed habit of coming apart into fast-moving thorny branches...ouch...
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

You know I wonder if Tina's "draw stories out of people" power is causing this to happen with Castela?
Vive la weird!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I don't know. It could be her parents she killed. The thrown away part is just something she deluded herself into believing because the truth is so painful. Could be she has some poison ivy in her. Emphasis on poison. Either that or she may coil around her victim and squeeze the life out of them. Maybe as they sleep. Heck, she may not even know she is doing it. In any event one wonders if she was an experiment in weaponized flora, or one of Bia's little breeding mishaps. There are bound to be several about. Bia was probably such a prodigious dabbler in anything-that-breaths husbandry.

Apparently another of her life skills is changing the subject when things get tough. I think Tina now sees it would be best if she dropped this line of questioning. Back to marshmallows and chot hocklet.

And, just where does Mr. Meadows lurk about that he finds discarded supernatural orphans? Maybe Neverland Ranch? Area 51-1/2? The Enquirer home office?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

JSStryker wrote:You know I wonder if Tina's "draw stories out of people" power is causing this to happen with Castela?
Precisely what I was thinking.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Somehow it doesn't seem like there is going to be much celebration at this celebration with all these revelations coming out. First Bia, then Atsali, and now Castela.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The more I see this the more it makes me think that my initial idea that this is all planed as a catharsis event is true. So far everyone has come face to face with some kind of past pain and are finding ways to find peace with them. This may be such an event as well as an insight into the inner workings of our girls psyches.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Too many possibilities of poisonous plants Castela could be in part.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Group therapy?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

shadowinthelight wrote:Too many possibilities of poisonous plants Castela could be in part.
I certainly thought so...but quick research told me that the Castela genus of bushes is very pointy but not actually poisonous to mammals. Decent anti-fungal chemicals, but nothing big enough to care about can bite them through all the sharp bits. Go figure.

It makes me suspect some unpleasant sharp vine incident in little Pickle's background, probably before she was old enough to understand what was happening much less control it.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Mark N wrote:The more I see this the more it makes me think that my initial idea that this is all planed as a catharsis event is true. So far everyone has come face to face with some kind of past pain and are finding ways to find peace with them. This may be such an event as well as an insight into the inner workings of our girls psyches.
Yep and Paul planned it with malice aforethought. We get a little bit of each story, just enough to go Oh Really!!!, and then it moves on. More speculation fodder for us to scramble around with. Just remember to take notes as there will be a test at a later date. There will come a time when all these little factoids will become important and help explain a future event.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I doubt that Castella killed anyone. Someone may have died but she didn't kill them. The cause could be from her having a poisonous part, or maybe someone was allergic to her. Another factor is that as a baby she would have no control over her shape would she. So if a family member was taking her somewhere and the baby was scared y something she vine shape could very easy have quickly sought protection from an adult. That might have the effect of binding that person up in a mess of vines. If they were driving that is all it would take. So she could be the cause of a death. The rest is due to the other kids hearing something and using it to be mean.

Another point is Castella says she is 5 but do we really know that she is only 5? It is quiet possible that her lifespan is quiet a bit longer than we think and she could be older. The form she is slowly morphing into does not look like a child. Let us not forget she is a shape changer.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

If she was all that dangerous, they'd never have put her in gen pop at the orphanage (especially given that there are always gonna be mean kids who will tease) for fear of her actually hurting someone...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber