Life Strategies 2014-04-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Life Strategies 2014-04-01

Post by MerchManDan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Did anybody ever specify that it was just one species of animal, though? She could have human and rhinoceros and hummingbird DNA, for all that we know.
Wow, that must have been some party! :shock:
"Oh-ho-ho, I hope your mom wasn't the hummingbird! Ha-HAAA!!"
"Just eat the damn trail mix, Ghandi!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Did anybody ever specify that it was just one species of animal, though? She could have human and rhinoceros and hummingbird DNA, for all that we know.
Wow, that must have been some party! :shock:
I believe that Nudge provided the drinks for it. . .
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I have a cassette of SCA filk music called Time Winds Tavern - It contains a song about a young - er, lady - who exhibits - er, possesses - features of several - uh, MANY - different supernats. Apparently her mom went to a party back in the day....Wish I could find the cassette, or on YouTube.....funny stuff.

*edit* The song is "Miss-Conception" - and the few sites on the web that mention the album I couldn't get a download from....but considering it's about thirty years old I'm not really surprised.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:I have a cassette of SCA filk music called Time Winds Tavern - It contains a song about a young - er, lady - who exhibits - er, possesses - features of several - uh, MANY - different supernats. Apparently her mom went to a party back in the day....Wish I could find the cassette, or on YouTube.....funny stuff.

*edit* The song is "Miss-Conception" - and the few sites on the web that mention the album I couldn't get a download from....but considering it's about thirty years old I'm not really surprised.
Heh. I'd bet my ex-wife would have it.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Hmmm. Looking at the track list - i once knew Leslie Fish slightly, many years ago, and Bill Sutton is/was a friend, though i haven't seen him in over twenty years.

===============

Here ya go

Love that album cover by ten-(or more)-time Hugo winner Kelly Freas... Specific title is "Mis-Conceptions", apparently.

Hmmm ... Misty Lackey wrote the song? I thought Leslie did.

================

Or ya could buy the CD for $25...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Fairportfan wrote:Here ya go
....it's like a Piers Anthony novel set to music. :lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fairportfan wrote:Hmmm. Looking at the track list - i once knew Leslie Fish slightly, many years ago, and Bill Sutton is/was a friend, though i haven't seen him in over twenty years.

===============

Here ya go

Love that album cover by ten-(or more)-time Hugo winner Kelly Freas... Specific title is "Mis-Conceptions", apparently.

================

Thanks! Other people always seem to have more luck with YouTube searches than I do - possibly something to do with my short attention span/easy frustration level.....BTW, that's a slightly different version than I have on the Time winds Tavern cassette, but still full of awesome after all this time!
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Ooh. Image search for "MY MOTHER NEVER TALKS ABOUT THAT ORGY" gives a few interpretations. :)

I really liked this one:
ETA¹: Oops, I should link the source, http://xanrii.deviantart.com/art/Miss-C ... s-75098637.

Where's the party?!
ETA²: Oops, I should link the source, http://catqueenofpluto.deviantart.com/a ... -104738961
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Hmmm. Looking at the track list - i once knew Leslie Fish slightly, many years ago, and Bill Sutton is/was a friend, though i haven't seen him in over twenty years.

===============

Here ya go

================

Thanks! Other people always seem to have more luck with YouTube searches than I do - possibly something to do with my short attention span/easy frustration level.....BTW, that's a slightly different version than I have on the Time winds Tavern cassette, but still full of awesome after all this time!
My Google Fu is strong, grasshopper.

First i found the album, which gave me the name of the artist, and then, armed with title and artist, it was fairly easy.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sidhekin wrote:Ooh. Image search for "MY MOTHER NEVER TALKS ABOUT THAT ORGY" gives a few interpretations. :)
So that's the magic phrase. I tried "mis-conceptions leslie fish mercedes lackey" and got a lot of book/album covers but no fanart.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well I'm amazed you didn't get worse! :twisted: though I guess the qoutes helped..

is this the sorta thing?? :)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:well I'm amazed you didn't get worse! :twisted: though I guess the qoutes helped..

is this the sorta thing?? :)
That's one of the two I posted; did you miss it, or did you mean to post another?

And yes, I had a bit of a chuckle imagining that image search. And imagining you all imagining it. 8-)

(The reality was tamer than imagination, though. Even with safesearch turned off.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
illiad

Post by illiad »

oops sorry, Sidhekin !! :oops: cant have seen it... in a bit of a dash... :\
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:Did anybody ever specify that it was just one species of animal, though? She could have human and rhinoceros and hummingbird DNA, for all that we know.
She should meet Grace Sciuridae from El Goonish Shive. That girl is part human, part squirrel, and part two different species of alien both of which are natural shape-shifters (at least one of them has reproductive arrangements that easily allow for such multi-way hybrids).

----

I was gonna post a link to the filksong, but I see someone else beat me to it.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote: [Weird factoid of the week: the protozoa which cause malaria have an unusual organelle called the "apicoplast". Without it, they cannot reproduce successfully... it manufactures lipids without which the young protozoa can't survive. The apicoplast is actually descended from algae that were "digested" by the ancestral protozoa... so, in a sense, these protozoa are plant/animal hybrids just as Castela is!

She shouldn't be ashamed of this, though... they're very distant cousins, from a thoroughly disreputable side of the family that nobody will invite over for Christmas dinner. :) ]
Of course, mitochondria and chloroplasts are also (apparently) bacteria and cyanobacteria that moved into cells to take over tricky jobs, both likely being endosymbionts....
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

bmonk wrote:
Dave wrote: [Weird factoid of the week: the protozoa which cause malaria have an unusual organelle called the "apicoplast". Without it, they cannot reproduce successfully... it manufactures lipids without which the young protozoa can't survive. The apicoplast is actually descended from algae that were "digested" by the ancestral protozoa... so, in a sense, these protozoa are plant/animal hybrids just as Castela is!

She shouldn't be ashamed of this, though... they're very distant cousins, from a thoroughly disreputable side of the family that nobody will invite over for Christmas dinner. :) ]
Of course, mitochondria and chloroplasts are also (apparently) bacteria and cyanobacteria that moved into cells to take over tricky jobs, both likely being endosymbionts....
And where do the fungi come into it? They are animals' closest relatives.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Warrl wrote:And where do the fungi come into it?
Yuggoth?