That Stuff 2014-03-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

That Stuff 2014-03-25

Post by jwhouk »

Ooh! Atsali and Euryale!

And I sense we may be seeing more of our fishy fishy lady Gotlieb.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Re: That Stuff 2014-03-25

Post by Fairportfan »

Sounds like Eurayle's been there.

=============

Gettin' a bit windy.

Is this one going to sink in a typhoon?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Does Neptune have anything against our beachgoers?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Fairportfan wrote:Gettin' a bit windy.
I know the strip is a JPG, not an animated GIF, but I could have swore I saw here hair moving in the last panel. :shock:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Gettin' a bit windy.
I know the strip is a JPG, not an animated GIF, but I could have swore I saw here hair moving in the last panel. :shock:
Well, we do know they have a mind of their own.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Fairportfan wrote:Gettin' a bit windy..
That or she really, really needs to cut back on the hairspray

Odd, in the first panel neither seems to be looking at the other. Just looking past one another.

And are those octopus-like sucker pods developing on Atsali's lower lip?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Pablo's going glossy for the girls' lips as of late.

Euryale's look in that last panel makes me think of Senior Director Oduya (aka "The Nu Gui") - and gives me a bit of the creeps...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

I don't think Atsali has to worry much about "her brains catching up with her curves", so far its her curves that are trying to catch up with her brains!
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

KnightDelight wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Gettin' a bit windy..
That or she really, really needs to cut back on the hairspray
Didn't you know? They're having a meeting of the Crazy-Haired-Sentients Society...

jwhouk wrote:Euryale's look in that last panel makes me think of Senior Director Oduya (aka "The Nu Gui") - and gives me a bit of the creeps...
Indeed, it looks like she went from "bubbly" to "shifty", in no time flat...
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

They're both having a happy hair day?

I thought it was a different art style or maybe a guest artist.
illiad

Post by illiad »

I guess the 'shiny lips' effect takes *time* to do... :)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This arc is just skipping around between the characters allowing each of them to say something to one of the others. All the remarks have impact to who they are said to in one way or another. Some helpful, some insightful, sor supportive, and some corrective. We are picking up information but only in little bits and pieces, wish it would be more but time will tell how much we get.
My point is either we are listening to scattered glimpses of free flow conversation during the party. Or this is really a disguised group therapy session for them. Castella is the only one not getting talked to but she is the tension breaker and the one who can say anything and not upset people. So she serves a very real purpose. Mostly to be cute.

So what has happened to Kathy, why isn't she on this beach with the kids?

Tina has been left behind like she usually is. After all this party was thrown to help her relax and talk about her problems. It really seems we are getting everyone's but Tina's dealt with.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Yeah, it kind of bothers me too. I thought this was about Tina, but it appears to be a character relationship adjustment session. Oh, it also looks like the first wave of alcohol got burned off. Time for a refill! 8-)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I almost want to go peek over at TV Tropes and see if they have one called "The Gang's All Here", because this is pretty much what's going on right now.

When you have a large ensemble cast, and you want to tie up some loose ends and advance the plot, you have some sort of large party gathering that gets them all in one place at one time - and you just document the interactions between the cast members.

That's kinda what I'm seeing this storyline as - getting the Wapsis back together again.

"Next, on All Monica's Children..."

EDIT: Well, whaddya know. It's "Loads and Loads of Characters" (though I don't agree with the "gag boobs" assessment).
analyst

Post by analyst »

So, all you archivists, did we see this confrontation that Astali speaks of?
Dave

Post by Dave »

analyst wrote:So, all you archivists, did we see this confrontation that Astali speaks of?
I assume Atsali is referring to the swimsuit incident.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
analyst wrote:So, all you archivists, did we see this confrontation that Astali speaks of?
I assume Atsali is referring to the swimsuit incident.
Which is whom I was referring when I said a return of Ms. Gotlieb is now likely.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

zachariah wrote:This arc is just skipping around between the characters allowing each of them to say something to one of the others. All the remarks have impact to who they are said to in one way or another. Some helpful, some insightful, sor supportive, and some corrective. We are picking up information but only in little bits and pieces, wish it would be more but time will tell how much we get.
My point is either we are listening to scattered glimpses of free flow conversation during the party. Or this is really a disguised group therapy session for them. Castella is the only one not getting talked to but she is the tension breaker and the one who can say anything and not upset people. So she serves a very real purpose. Mostly to be cute.

So what has happened to Kathy, why isn't she on this beach with the kids?

Tina has been left behind like she usually is. After all this party was thrown to help her relax and talk about her problems. It really seems we are getting everyone's but Tina's dealt with.
My impression, on second (or was it third) reading of the story arc, was that they may have had already planned for this beach party/catharsis/group therapy session, and when Monica saw how off balance Tina was, she invited her as well. But this might imply that she was not really considered part of the gang up til then (or not fully part of the gang, at least). Then again, it's also possible that she jus hadn't received the invitation yet, and that it was one of the reasons Monica was at Mucho Mocha, that morning (the other reason being, of course, for coffee...)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

lake_wrangler wrote:
zachariah wrote: Tina has been left behind like she usually is. After all this party was thrown to help her relax and talk about her problems. It really seems we are getting everyone's but Tina's dealt with.
My impression, on second (or was it third) reading of the story arc, was that they may have had already planned for this beach party/catharsis/group therapy session, and when Monica saw how off balance Tina was, she invited her as well. But this might imply that she was not really considered part of the gang up til then (or not fully part of the gang, at least). Then again, it's also possible that she jus hadn't received the invitation yet, and that it was one of the reasons Monica was at Mucho Mocha, that morning (the other reason being, of course, for coffee...)
She already is a part of the group and the beach life. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/cafe-u296/ Here she is with most of them. So bringing her here is not a new thing.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

We know what Euryale is capable of when she's angry or startled... but now she's turning on the Glamour...

I feel sorry for Atsali... at her age, she should be worried about boys and the back biting jealousy of other girls... not worrying about being a siren and all that entails. She is indeed a bird of a different feather. She is indeed playing catch up... She knows she's a siren, she knows from descriptions what sirens are capable of but she has no practical experience to match her manifestations. As such, she has an aversion to what she might become. I'm guessing it's that moral dilemma that truly shapes who Atsali is and will become.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.