Guess What 2014-03-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Guess What 2014-03-24

Post by MerchManDan »

illiad wrote:an interesting story here... two clueless guys invented fahrenheit???
And the Celsius guy originally had waters boiling point at 0 and freezing point at 100?? :roll: Good grief.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Mark N wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Did you know that the calculator that comes with Windows 7 (and 8, I presume, but I don't have that, so I wouldn't know...) has a built-in conversion tool?

It covers Angle, Area, Energy, Length, Power, Pressure, Temperature, Time, Velocity, Volume, Weight/Mass, with many different units for each, useable in either direction. I use it on a semi-regular basis. It's really useful.
I did not know that. Thank you for the info.
Will not be perfect until it can convert to Potrzebie.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:
Mark N wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Did you know that the calculator that comes with Windows 7 (and 8, I presume, but I don't have that, so I wouldn't know...) has a built-in conversion tool?

It covers Angle, Area, Energy, Length, Power, Pressure, Temperature, Time, Velocity, Volume, Weight/Mass, with many different units for each, useable in either direction. I use it on a semi-regular basis. It's really useful.
I did not know that. Thank you for the info.
Will not be perfect until it can convert to Potrzebie.
Furlongs cubed per slug-fortnight squared.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

MerchManDan wrote:
illiad wrote:an interesting story here... two clueless guys invented fahrenheit???
And the Celsius guy originally had waters boiling point at 0 and freezing point at 100?? :roll: Good grief.
are you missing your sarcasm tag??? :)

anyone with a very simple, repeatable way of making a temperature scale, that simple people can do in a simple kitchen?? :roll:

'at sea level' I hear you say... Even in Mexico City, 2,240 metres above sea level, water boils at 97C.. close enough.. :/
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:'at sea level' I hear you say... Even in Mexico City, 2,240 metres above sea level, water boils at 97C.. close enough.. :/
Except, if you read recipes or the direction on packaged mix boxes carefully, you find out that you need to increase the liquid and the cooking time for most things that boil or simmer.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:[...]the calculator that comes with Windows 7 [...]
kingklash wrote:Will not be perfect until it can convert to Potrzebie.
True, we can't really expect Microsoft to be quite as high-minded and sophisticated as the readers of this fine comic...

Although, technically, they did manage to come close:
Wikipedia wrote:In issue 33, Mad published a partial table of the "Potrzebie System of Weights and Measures", developed by 19-year-old Donald E. Knuth, later a famed computer scientist. According to Knuth, the basis of this new revolutionary system is the potrzebie, which equals the thickness of Mad issue 26, or 2.263348517438173216473 mm. A standardization in terms of the wavelength of the red line of the emission spectrum of Cadmium is also given, which if the 1927 definition of the Angstrom is taken for the value of that wavelength, would equal 2.263347539605392 mm.
(Emphasis mine)
And one will note that in the Length section of the conversion fonction of the MS calculator, the Angstrom is indeed listed. Sadly, however, we find no mention whatsoever of the ngogn for volume, the blintz for mass, the clarke (1 average earth rotation), the mingo (a 10-clarke unit to replace the months), or the 100-clarke cowznofski year for time units, not to mention the units whatmeworry, cowznofski, vreeble, hoo and hah.

On the other hand:
Furthermore, Fairportfan wrote:Furlongs cubed per slug-fortnight squared.
Perhaps, some day, we can hope to reach the level of refinement necessary to include such a unit into a common unit conversion tool.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Well, there goes my cubic furlongs per hectare joke....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I actually did the conversion, about thirty years ago. Can't remember the result.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

illiad wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
are you missing your sarcasm tag??? :)
What? No. Why would I be using sarcasm? :| Was the article not serious about that point?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
illiad

Post by illiad »

hey man, just checkin.... :) didn't want to bawl you out fer no reason.. :P :)

- of course if you re a chef like FPF, it starts to matter... me, I worry about burnin water... :roll:
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I'm pretty sure it's serious.

Perhaps notable, it was an other famous Swede, Linnaeus, who reversed Celsius' scale.

I'm not sure if it happened after Celsius died, though. I've seen the year given as 1743 (which would be before Celsius died), 1744 (which could be either), and 1745 (which would be after).

And here's a possible explanation, extrapolated from the inturwebbes:

In 1743, Linnaeus ordered a mercury thermometer to be made by master instrument maker Daniel Ekström. It was finished in 1744, but was broken in transit from Ekström to Linnaeus. A replacement was finished in 1745.

And this was the first thermometer with the reversed Celsius scale, ordered in 1743, but not used until 1745. :)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

And, given the current scales, there is only one temperature at which you don't need any designation: -40°.

-40F = -40C, and the K scale has (effectively) no negative (as does Rankhine, which is Fahrenheit + 469.67).
You can in theory get negative Kelvin temperatures, but they are hotter than any positive temp.