Guess What 2014-03-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Guess What 2014-03-24

Post by DilyV »

Lily and Suzi... We need Lily and Suzi to show up. With lots of sunscreen of course... Nothing like the fang gang to lighten the mood...

Monica: OMG... you're...

Suzi: Vampires... yup! Ain't that a hoot?

Lily: This island is absolutely fangtastic!!! Tina!!!! Bloody Mary please!!!

Monica: Suzi... Girl, you have got to meet my bra maker...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

This is a very touching picture. Jin reassured of her status as family by Bud and reinforced by Castela... a daww moment if there ever was one. I just hope Paul didn't push himself harder than he should have done to get this up.

DilyV funny, funny! Oh and Jin sticking her hand in the fire to warm her butt... priceless.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Now the question is does Bia care for anybody? She does care about fixing things, but the individual pawns I kinda doubt it. We know how she treated Shelly and even as a child she has shown NO REMORSE about what she did to Shelly.
It may be just a bit early to render that sort of judgment against Young Bia, for two reasons:
  • We've only just begun to see her interactions with the Wapsi gang... and in most of those panels she was playing out the role of Connie's titanic punching bag. We haven't seen her interact directly with Shelly at all. We don't know what she will or will not say to Shelly.
  • It's been stated in-strip that Bia's whole life was heavily shaped by her having seen the destruction of Lanthis and the subsequent devastation... it's all she was focused on. Now that Pallas has turnedh er back into a child, some of that obsession may be gone... her original child's emotional plasticity may have been restored. She's already shown signs of an emotional sensitivity ("Wow, they all hate me") that we hadn't seen in her before.
So, she's not part of the caring family yet... but maybe, just maybe, she's regained enough of her old self to "clean up her act" and join, at some point.

Or, maybe not... there could be too much water under the bridge. We can onlynwait and see.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:Now the question is does Bia care for anybody? She does care about fixing things, but the individual pawns I kinda doubt it. We know how she treated Shelly and even as a child she has shown NO REMORSE about what she did to Shelly.
It may be just a bit early to render that sort of judgment against Young Bia, for two reasons:
  • We've only just begun to see her interactions with the Wapsi gang... and in most of those panels she was playing out the role of Connie's titanic punching bag. We haven't seen her interact directly with Shelly at all. We don't know what she will or will not say to Shelly.
  • It's been stated in-strip that Bia's whole life was heavily shaped by her having seen the destruction of Lanthis and the subsequent devastation... it's all she was focused on. Now that Pallas has turnedh er back into a child, some of that obsession may be gone... her original child's emotional plasticity may have been restored. She's already shown signs of an emotional sensitivity ("Wow, they all hate me") that we hadn't seen in her before.
So, she's not part of the caring family yet... but maybe, just maybe, she's regained enough of her old self to "clean up her act" and join, at some point.

Or, maybe not... there could be too much water under the bridge. We can onlynwait and see.
Bia was regressed to a child as punishment and because she can interact and handle people better. This does not mean she changed her behavior, just that she is more likely to treat people better. While she explaining how she got there and why she is in child form, she is NOT doing anything about wrongs she has already committed. Now Connie applied a clue-by-four so she doesn't go back to her heartless manipulations. This does not mean she is sorry about anything she did before. This is just a chance for her to start over. Maybe she deserves it but until I see something that clearly shows she has changed there is no reason to cut her any slack.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Our little Flower Child may have stumbled upon the next MacGuffin that sets the team into their new adventure.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

We have not seen Bia interacting with anyone except Connie and Tina (mostly Connie). We have no idea what she has been doing since Euryale wanted to hug her while she was in the hole. She may well have been sincerely apologizing to Shelley and Phix for everything. Whether or not they accept is on them.
And I remind everyone, Phix is not in the Library. She is vulnerable. I would be very surprised if - even as a child - she allowed Phix to knock her around a lot. She IS a Titan!
And, as is often pointed out by Terry Pratchett, a leopard CAN change its shorts!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
eee

Post by eee »

davids4250 wrote:We have not seen Bia interacting with anyone except Connie and Tina (mostly Connie). We have no idea what she has been doing since Euryale wanted to hug her while she was in the hole. She may well have been sincerely apologizing to Shelley and Phix for everything. Whether or not they accept is on them.
And I remind everyone, Phix is not in the Library. She is vulnerable. I would be very surprised if - even as a child - she allowed Phix to knock her around a lot. She IS a Titan!
And, as is often pointed out by Terry Pratchett, a leopard CAN change its shorts!
Bia hurting Phix in any way would turn everyone against her - again - and bring Connie out swinging, this time without restraint. The best thing for Bia to do WOULD be to let Phix beat on her until Phix got all her anger out and was too tired to continue. From what we've seen, young Bia can be hurt but not killed or permanently damaged. Letting Phix get her pound of flesh - perhaps literally - would be the fastest way to start to heal things with her. If they can be healed at all.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Fairportfan wrote:
DilyV wrote:I think that's the first time I've seen a contented look on Jin's face... it suits her...
Nah ... Lemme see ...

How 'bout this one?
Never underestimate the power of a warm butt. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, I just realized that there's something that Bud left out from that statement - one that perhaps Jin is unaware of: it was someone's fault. And that someone is on the island at the moment.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Bia had nothing to do with the destruction of Lanthis except as a witness.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Dave wrote:

Connie is beating on Bia because she is going about things all wrong. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/clear-the-air/ It’s like Bia thinks all she has to do is admit to all her acts that messed the characters up in order to get over her punishment.
See http://wapsisquare.com/comic/about-that/ (especially panel 2) and here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/as-a-girl/ for sample admissions.

All Bia’s admissions will really do is get everyone ticked off at her. What Bia really needs to do is express remorse and willingness try to help her victims overcome the trouble her schemes caused them. She will probably have to start with helping Tina learn who her host body's family was. maybe after that Shelly and Phix will be willing to trust her enough to make up with her.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sidhekin wrote:It wasn't the definition of dork I thought Bud might be stretching, but rather that of family.

Well, obviously she was stretching the definition of family, I just marvelled at her stretching it to include even Bia and Phix, if that's indeed what she did. 8-)
It still fits.. you are among friends that do the same silly things, but unlike 'normal' people, you are not thought of as 'weird', but similar outlook.. :mrgreen:

Us Celts have the same view - all one big family!... 8-)
illiad

Post by illiad »

Opus the Poet wrote:Bia had nothing to do with the destruction of Lanthis except as a witness.
but seeing it may have changed her character for the worse???

must have been half asleep... : /
Last edited by illiad on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jwhouk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
DilyV wrote:I think that's the first time I've seen a contented look on Jin's face... it suits her...
Nah ... Lemme see ...

How 'bout this one?
Never underestimate the power of a warm butt. ;)
Detroit seems to think that all sorts of car drivers need warm butts--but I just find that sort of thing annoying.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

On a cold day where the thermometer reads -12F and you have leather seats, they're AWESOME.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

My2Cents wrote:
Dave wrote:

Connie is beating on Bia because she is going about things all wrong. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/clear-the-air/ It’s like Bia thinks all she has to do is admit to all her acts that messed the characters up in order to get over her punishment.
See http://wapsisquare.com/comic/about-that/ (especially panel 2) and here http://wapsisquare.com/comic/as-a-girl/ for sample admissions.

All Bia’s admissions will really do is get everyone ticked off at her. What Bia really needs to do is express remorse and willingness try to help her victims overcome the trouble her schemes caused them. She will probably have to start with helping Tina learn who her host body's family was. maybe after that Shelly and Phix will be willing to trust her enough to make up with her.
I agree with Dave here. As far as Bia's punishment, redeeming herself is not the point. I have the feeling that this turning is more that she is now at the same developmental stage she was at when she saw Lanthis annihilated. Remember the look on her face when the blast passed?? , it was basically the same one that Monica had here and here when she saw Phix eating another Sphinx. Bia was not just fixated on the prophesy, she was basically driven insane from the site of such an event. By returning her to the state she was in just before the event and replacing it with a growing family of love her brain may just replace the damage with a new state of calm and love. This may just knock out some of her sociopathic tendencies that the blast had her develop.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk wrote:On a cold day where the thermometer reads -12F and you have leather seats, they're AWESOME.
did a quick conversion to 'british'... :) that is almost 25C below freezing point (32F)!!! :shock: :o :mrgreen:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:did a quick conversion to 'british'... :) that is almost 25C below freezing point (32F)!!! :shock: :o :mrgreen:
Did you know that the calculator that comes with Windows 7 (and 8, I presume, but I don't have that, so I wouldn't know...) has a built-in conversion tool?

It covers Angle, Area, Energy, Length, Power, Pressure, Temperature, Time, Velocity, Volume, Weight/Mass, with many different units for each, useable in either direction. I use it on a semi-regular basis. It's really useful.
illiad

Post by illiad »

interesting... and no-one managed to put that into *any* google search... :roll: I prefer a graphical one in my link tho, only 2 secs to look at... :)

an interesting story here... two clueless guys invented fahrenheit???
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:Did you know that the calculator that comes with Windows 7 (and 8, I presume, but I don't have that, so I wouldn't know...) has a built-in conversion tool?

It covers Angle, Area, Energy, Length, Power, Pressure, Temperature, Time, Velocity, Volume, Weight/Mass, with many different units for each, useable in either direction. I use it on a semi-regular basis. It's really useful.
I did not know that. Thank you for the info.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.