For My Fish 2012-08-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: For My Fish 2012-08-01

Post by MerchManDan »

PrettyPrincess wrote:http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread ... [quote]But a study has revealed that in the world of fish, farting is an important social tool.
Canadian and UK researchers have discovered that herring create underwater fart noises, suggesting they communicate by breaking wind.
[/quote]
Reminds me of one of my uncles.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Leak wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Sorry, phpBB doesn't have threaded capabilities, that's what the "quote" button is for. ;)
And what good is threading if the posts you've already read aren't distinguished from the new posts?

Using threading on Usenet or mailing lists with a specialized reader that keeps track of read and unread posts and has filtering and sorting capabilities is very handy, but the way the comments on the web site were it was just getting tedious and time-consuming looking for new posts the longer a discussion went on...
When you view the topics, on the right hand side, the icon is a different colour. The yellow colour tells you there are unread posts. If you click that, it should take you to the first unread post in that particular topic.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bookworm wrote:
Leak wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Sorry, phpBB doesn't have threaded capabilities, that's what the "quote" button is for. ;)
And what good is threading if the posts you've already read aren't distinguished from the new posts?

Using threading on Usenet or mailing lists with a specialized reader that keeps track of read and unread posts and has filtering and sorting capabilities is very handy, but the way the comments on the web site were it was just getting tedious and time-consuming looking for new posts the longer a discussion went on...
When you view the topics, on the right hand side, the icon is a different colour. The yellow colour tells you there are unread posts. If you click that, it should take you to the first unread post in that particular topic.
Not on my screen.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Okay - for me, when I was in Daily Wapsi Square Discussion looking at this thread, there was a red circle with red 'text' lines inside of it. When I clicked _on_ the icon, it took me straight to your post. Another thread had a blue circle with blue text lines. That one had no unread posts.

(Edit, I lied. I didn't click on the red circle. There was a small orange rectangle between the circle and the thread title, with a blue upper right hand corner. I clicked _that_ to go to the unread post)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Bookworm wrote:
Leak wrote:

I know, right? I was talking about the threading of the ComicPress comments - the more posts there are the less you'll be able to discern new posts from old, which is a huge time sink...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bookworm wrote:Okay - for me, when I was in Daily Wapsi Square Discussion looking at this thread, there was a red circle with red 'text' lines inside of it. When I clicked _on_ the icon, it took me straight to your post. Another thread had a blue circle with blue text lines. That one had no unread posts.

(Edit, I lied. I didn't click on the red circle. There was a small orange rectangle between the circle and the thread title, with a blue upper right hand corner. I clicked _that_ to go to the unread post)
Ah. I see.

Your post i was responding to said (emphasis added):
Bookworm wrote:When you view the topics, on the right hand side, the icon is a different colour...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It's the _other_ right side, okay?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bookworm wrote:It's the _other_ right side, okay?
Your military right, not your civilian right, right?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Leak

Post by Leak »

Fairportfan wrote:
Bookworm wrote:It's the _other_ right side, okay?
Your military right, not your civilian right, right?
Methinks he already left for today...

*feeds wallet to pun vault*
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I spent a number of years in theatre. It was _stage_ right.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bookworm wrote:I spent a number of years in theatre. It was _stage_ right.
heh
=====================
=====================
mike weber