As A Girl 2014-03-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
sheik

Re: As A Girl 2014-03-14

Post by sheik »

Sprinkles?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I've been wondering...

1. Why did the Chimera destroy Lanthis? Ostensibly to destroy all of Lanthean civilization, correct?

If so:

2. Is it wise for Bia to admit she was there when the Chimera destroyed Lanthis, thereby admitting the Chimera didn't totally destroy something they set out to destroy?

Then:

3. What will the three parts of the Chimera do now they know Bia is a missed target?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

DilyV wrote:I've been wondering...

1. Why did the Chimera destroy Lanthis? Ostensibly to destroy all of Lanthean civilization, correct?
Not really, from the way I understand the story the Chimera was just set on destroy everything. Lanthis was the first thing in its path
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DilyV wrote:I've been wondering...

If so:

2. Is it wise for Bia to admit she was there when the Chimera destroyed Lanthis, thereby admitting the Chimera didn't totally destroy something they set out to destroy?

Then:

3. What will the three parts of the Chimera do now they know Bia is a missed target?
The way I sees it, and this is nothing more than pulling my ideas from my own rearward facing orifice, there's little to no chance of the chimera ever coming together again.
1.) The Chimera destroyed Lanthis because of the rage and anger and shame put on the girls was allowed to escape because of Jin's suicide before the ceremony that created the chimera. I think the chimera was created as a weapon to use on others. It just pulled it's own trigger at the home base.
2.) It was never a set goal for the Chimera to destroy all of Lanthis. It was just a rage fit let loose on the creators of their rage and because that's where they happened to be.
3.) When Jin became 'human' she lost any ability they had of joining together as the chimera. i have doubts that they could have been reconstituted as the chimera anyway. I think that the magic users, technologists, whatever, that separated them would have made sure that wasn't going to happen again.

Again, that's only my opinions, there is nothing official about the ramblings above.
(I practice writing in the wapsiverse, and had a long story arc about someone trying to recombine the GGGs into the chimera, but round filed it when Jin became human...)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

DilyV wrote:@_@ OMG, Did Conscience just tell Jin she needed to get laid?
It doth appear to be the truth. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There is only one person on earth who could get the Chimera back together, and she has actively chosen not to allow it to happen.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

If you mean Monica, i'd say there are probably two - Monica and Mayahuel.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:If you mean Monica, i'd say there are probably two - Monica and Mayahuel.
May certainly has the knowledge to create Golems and could presumably create another Chimera, but Monica is in the unique position of being the Chimera's keeper. When the girls were split back into their separate components, failsafes were written in so that no one entity could assume control of the Chimera. The loophole to that was a sacrifice, a death.

Monica's heart stopped when the bus hit her in Mexico, so she counts as a sacrifice, a death. She was also a Glyph reader, thanks to Mayahuel teaching her Glyph from the demon realm in the form of her grandmother's ghost.

Monica has sole agency over the Golem girls and can command them. She has only actually invoked this once, when she ordered Acacia to remember her past and how the chimera was created.

Monica has not commanded them since, beyond restoring their free will and their memories.

Here's the thing, though.

Monica retains full control of the Chimera, even if she chooses not to exercise that control.

Jin is human for all intents and purposes. She is not, however, human. She is an incredibly sophisticated magictech machine emulating a mostly normal human. She's still a Golem.

And while May has said her transformation is irreversible, the GGGs have had their software overwritten (being combined into the Chimera) and modified (being split back apart, being given back their individual personalities, and having the failsafes written in) before.

If Monica wanted to, I believe she could order the Chimera to reform. It would probably destroy the individual entities that are Bud, Brandi and Jin. But she could do it, and then have a being with the power to rival a Titan at her disposal.

All the supernaturals Monica met in the wake of the Calender resolution emphasized Monica's title of "Keeper of the Chimera." This wasn't a platitude to them. It recognized the incredible power at Monica's disposal. That she hasn't used that power doesn't change the fact that she has it.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

The bus didn't hit Monica - Jin slam-tackled her out of the way, into a flower-stand (i think) on the side of the roadway.

(In much the way that Bud slam-tackled Jin before she could pull the trigger; and likely did the same sort of damage to Monica that Bud did to Jin.)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monica's control of the GG is explained to her, It runs for 13 strips or so after this one. I've noticed a few details have been lost on this subject.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/justanswerthequestion/

1. The separation is permanent.
2. The glyphs on their bones means any glyph reader can control them, or someone who has the authority delegated, like a scribe. Currently Monica is the only living Glyph reader not part of the immortals organization.
3. They cannot be combined back into a single entity again but the three can still work together and be almost as powerful as the combined form.

Enjoy.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:The bus didn't hit Monica - Jin slam-tackled her out of the way, into a flower-stand (i think) on the side of the roadway.

(In much the way that Bud slam-tackled Jin before she could pull the trigger; and likely did the same sort of damage to Monica that Bud did to Jin.)
Sorry about that. The key point is, her heart stopped, meaning that as far as the failsafe loophole was concerned, she died. It's also why, in conjunction with her Gylph reader training, she has direct control over her demons and they can roam freely.
zachariah wrote:Monica's control of the GG is explained to her, It runs for 13 strips or so after this one. I've noticed a few details have been lost on this subject.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/justanswerthequestion/

1. The separation is permanent.
2. The glyphs on their bones means any glyph reader can control them, or someone who has the authority delegated, like a scribe. Currently Monica is the only living Glyph reader not part of the immortals organization.
3. They cannot be combined back into a single entity again but the three can still work together and be almost as powerful as the combined form.

Enjoy.
Aaaand, I forgot some of that, and half remembered the rest. Time for another read through.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'll be honest, things made a LOT more sense when I was reading through for the Story Arc list.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

This is much more poignant too.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:This is much more poignant too.
"Please believe me, she knows that you didn't hate her..."

What did Tepoz know and when did he know it?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Good catch with that one, Atomic.

I wonder if Pablo forgot that one. Either that or Tepoz "knew" it because he knew about the prophecy, and also knew the reason for Shelly's background.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jwhouk wrote:I wonder if Pablo forgot that one. Either that or Tepoz "knew" it because he knew about the prophecy, and also knew the reason for Shelly's background.
IIRC, Bia created Tepoz from a badger as testing for the Golem Girls methodology. Now serving as Igor to Mad Scientist Bia, he would have been right on the scene to here all those darling plans. What is unresolved about that setup is how Tepoz and Bia parted ways, eventually to have Tepoz "inherit" custody of the GGs.

Commence speculation in 3... 2... 1...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Wasn't it Momma Maya who made Tepoz?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Actually, if you have read the 3rd book (The Timekeeper's Daughter), Jin may have been the one who created Tepoz out of a weasel.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:This is much more poignant too.
"Please believe me, she knows that you didn't hate her..."

What did Tepoz know and when did he know it?
He didn't know who Shelly's mom really was. The next strip has him talking about her mother dieing from a electrical problem with her heart. He does know that Jin had a hand in it but cannot tell Shelly. Tepoz is an errand boy for just about everybody he seems. Jin, Phix, probably nudge, the immortal politicians, maybe Bia. All of them sending him on tasks. This has been covered when Tepoz finally got sick of keeping Monica in the dark. Don't know the exact strip. Read a few of the following one from this one and you'll see how limited the information he had. Or he was just following orders.

I did follow this and it led to Monica's first visit to Club Cerberus. It came to me from the bouncer comments that this club is run by MIB. It has to be as the girls poited in and he didn't turn a hair. So it seems like the club is probably a paranormal hangout club sponsored, or run, by the MIB.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Actually, if you have read the 3rd book (The Timekeeper's Daughter), Jin may have been the one who created Tepoz out of a weasel.
Nope it was May who made him out of an animal. He just doesn't exactly know what. HE suspects a weasel but does not know. He was an early experiment before she had herself made into a golem.