Due For A Hug 2014-03-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Due For A Hug 2014-03-12

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:Did Shelly go full sphinx or just stop at the giant winged human stage?
Yes
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

This one gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Shelly's expression is happy and loving. Unlike every other recipient of Miss Eyrale's hugs, she seems to be enjoying it. And while we can't see the Gorgon sister's face, her snakes seem to be happy.
(Considering the difference in size an strength, if Shelly were squeezing hard, we'd be seeing some bug eyed snakes.)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I thought Euryale had to be angry or at least upset/scared for the gaze to kick in, even involuntarily - she is definitely not mad at anyone now. Good thing she's not a fightin' drunk.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:I thought Euryale had to be angry or at least upset/scared for the gaze to kick in, even involuntarily ...
Every time we've seen it so far, it's been a defensive startle reaction.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
as363

Post by as363 »

Yeah - I'd like one of those hugs also. But mid 70's bones don't have the strength that they used to. No matter the Calcium pills I take daily. Oh well - I can still dream...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if sphinxs are immune to accidental gorgon stares?
Actually, given the number of non-casualties we are witnessing here, most high power paranormals must be immune. Which would be the reason that gorgons aren't apex predators instead of Sphinxes. Not sure in Jin is immune anymore, and it is probably best not to experiment.

But things could get interesting if Kathryn and the kids show up and get drunk gorgon hugs with flash freezes included.
If high powered paranormals are not affected then why was Monica affected? She is a high powered paranormal. Either the ethanol content in the snakes inhibits the ability to get others stoned, or the ability can be turned off by Euri and she did so before starting to drink.
Monica hadn't fully expressed her Phoenix blood (which happened shortly after as the result of her repeated freezings) or completed her transformation into the Jaguar Girl (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/officially-recog/) which happened much later.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Huggbees!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I wonder how Euryale will react to the hug. Though it seems like she is a casual nudist like Katy was, First meeting with Euryale in the library. All the hugs she has delivered is while clothed. Now she gets a big hug face plant to a giant, partially nude, Shelly. So is she too drunk to take it or is she likely to jerk away. Besides the face plant into big ones from an extreme huger is not an enjoyable experience at all.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:I wonder how Euryale will react to the hug. Though it seems like she is a casual nudist like Katy was, First meeting with Euryale in the library. All the hugs she has delivered is while clothed. Now she gets a big hug face plant to a giant, partially nude, Shelly. So is she too drunk to take it or is she likely to jerk away. Besides the face plant into big ones from an extreme huger is not an enjoyable experience at all.

Well, all Euryale's snakes have their eyes closed, presumably because they are happy, and their moods have usually reflected what the Gorgon they are attached to is feeling.

I think that she might be more hesitant about hugging a Sphinx, even "Miss Shelly" if she were sober, bit since she seems to be a happy drunk and thinks the world of Shelly (and Shelly isn't squishing her) I'd hazard a guess that Euryale is fine with her giant, naked, Sphinx boob to face hug.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

analyst wrote:An I sed "Don't Hug", Euryale! But it was too late, she'd already been sphinxed! Here she comes, donlookedat, donlookedat. There she goes, donlookedat, donlookedat. Now Miss Shelley ain't wearin' no clothes! Oh, yes, she'll give you a hug. On your heartstrings it will tug. She's always runnin' around, lifting you off of the ground, causing your eyes out to bug.
Woah! Did someone hear Ray Stevens?

Yeah, I did...
eee

Post by eee »

Monica and Jin are busy getting reacquainted. Euryale and Shelly are mid-hug. Connie's off having convulsions. That means the ones left to pull Bia out of the hole are Tina... and Bud, Nudge, and Phix.

This could be a bit rough.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
analyst wrote:An I sed "Don't Hug", Euryale! But it was too late, she'd already been sphinxed! Here she comes, donlookedat, donlookedat. There she goes, donlookedat, donlookedat. Now Miss Shelley ain't wearin' no clothes! Oh, yes, she'll give you a hug. On your heartstrings it will tug. She's always runnin' around, lifting you off of the ground, causing your eyes out to bug.
Woah! Did someone hear Ray Stevens?

Yeah, I did...
Heh. If you haven't already discovered it, may i recommend Code Name: Hunter, a very interesting (and pretty) fantasy/anthropomorphic webcomic? What got me thinking about it is this early special story (from 2006),

The main page is here, and the first page is here.

Go read the story of Ruby's adventure.

============

Oh, and:

Back when the streaking craze was in the news ... or, rather, when the news tardily reached Ballyfergus, a tiny Irish town, Padraic Shaughnessy, all of eighty-three years old, after a few pints too many at the local, decided to try it.

He knew that the Fearnley twins sisters, Bridget Fearnley and her widowed sister Maeve Bardeen, a mere seventy-eight, would be sitting on their front porch knitting, so he dropped trou, and trotted up the roadway right past their cottage as quickly as ever his arthritic knees could carry him.

The sisters were knitting, wearinh their reading glasses for the close work, rather than their distance specs.

After he passed, Bridget turned to Maeve, and asked "D'yez see who that was?"

"T'was Patrick Shaughnessy, I believe."

"Aye, I thought so, too. But could yez tell me what it was he was after wearin'?"

"It's not exactly sure I am, but it definitely needed ironin'."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sidhekin wrote:
loxmyth wrote:Or she's poiting out of the suit before or while changing. Which would be a simple, elegant solution requiring no abilities she hasn't already shown, and hence gets my vote.
I'm pretty sure poiting is an ability she hasn't already shown.

(The vorping is assumed to be the Library's work.)
well as she is under the 'guardianship' of Phix, I am sure that world has 'clothing technology' that copes with multiple shape changing... :)
zachariah wrote:I wonder how Euryale will react to the hug. Though it seems like she is a casual nudist like Katy was, First meeting with Euryale in the library. All the hugs she has delivered is while clothed. Now she gets a big hug face plant to a giant, partially nude, Shelly. So is she too drunk to take it or is she likely to jerk away. Besides the face plant into big ones from an extreme huger is not an enjoyable experience at all.
well.. I guess Euryale will react with a big blush..... "ahhh mah gawd, ah think ahm in luv!!!" :oops: 8-) :lol: :P
Last edited by illiad on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie

Post by Julie »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:If high powered paranormals are not affected then why was Monica affected? She is a high powered paranormal. Either the ethanol content in the snakes inhibits the ability to get others stoned, or the ability can be turned off by Euri and she did so before starting to drink.
Monica hadn't fully expressed her Phoenix blood (which happened shortly after as the result of her repeated freezings) or completed her transformation into the Jaguar Girl (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/officially-recog/) which happened much later.
Was it really the freezing on the beach that "activated" her phoenix blood? Or was that just the first time she'd been put in a situation that would kill a mortal so that her phoenix blood would have something to do? I mean, the way Shelly told M that she was dangerous kind of suggests that Monica has been dangerous for a while now and that she's been effectively immortal since she got the spike in her head way back during the Calendar Machine fiasco (per the comic before the one I linked). I just wonder why it took the Library so long to acknowledge M's status upgrade if that was true.

Plus...this...
NOTDilbert wrote:I thought Euryale had to be angry or at least upset/scared for the gaze to kick in, even involuntarily - she is definitely not mad at anyone now. Good thing she's not a fightin' drunk.....
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."