Sproing - 2014-02-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Sproing - 2014-02-27

Post by Yamara »

There must be a reason Bud asked so much about sphinxes, and sproinged only after finding out about Shelly being related to Phix.

The subject must be extraordinarily important to her.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/no-teasing/

I'm actually glad this has waited until after the Jaguar has awakened. She's had this extra time to ramp up to the challenge of wrestling the Sun.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

nerf-dweller wrote:I think Shelly has done broke Bud with all of the enlightenment about her family tree. :o
She does look utterly stumped.
kingklash wrote:Where's Tepoz? That girl needs a tankard of something strong to reboot herself!
Perhaps Nudge has him trapped inside of that keg?
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Grantwhy wrote: Although I suspect a full reset won't be needed.

Maybe all Bud needs is just some kinetic adjustment to loosen whatever is stuck?

Somebody hand Monica a clue-by-four and stand back :)

-----

:shock: I'm somewhat surprised TV Tropes does NOT have a clue-by-four section.
The term of art for that is "Percussive Maintenance". :D
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

shadowinthelight wrote:Guess they don't make golems like they used to. Image
TheDOCTOR wrote:Oscar night
What does Kath's fish have to do with anything?
Oscar Knight?

Oh dear -- I have other drawings to finish first.....

Curse you wild imagination!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

nerf-dweller wrote:
Grantwhy wrote: :shock: I'm somewhat surprised TV Tropes does NOT have a clue-by-four section.
The term of art for that is "Percussive Maintenance". :D
Which has a meaning different than "Clue-by-Four," even though the method is similar.

And I, also, wonder why no one has created that page yet... :?:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Catawampus wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:I think Shelly has done broke Bud with all of the enlightenment about her family tree. :o
She does look utterly stumped.
Well, she didn't expect all this to be rooted up.

Careful, ladies. Bud likes to keep a fireplace in her garden.

PunPal has charged me a case of Lucky Charms.

Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:MORNINGTON CRESCENT!
On your first move of the day? Shame on you... that's a clear violation.

Since we're playing by 57th Cycle Taylor's Variation rules, you'll have to stand at the King William Street station until the next train stops there, before you can make your next turn.

Bring a book. Perhaps "Waiting For Godot". And do mind the gap.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Grantwhy wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Good going, Shelly; you broke the golem. Do you even know where the reset button is on one of those?
*remebers Jin getting "reset"*

under the ribs, about the center of the chest but you have to reach a fair way - from (and through) the stomach up.\
This route produces squeals and remarks about personal space. ...I'll try it. :D
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

KnightDelight wrote:Seems odd Bud would be this far out of the loop, being a senior member of the MIB and all. She was right in the thick of things in the Nu Gui caper recently. It seems like this would have come up at some point in her hanging around the Library. But then, if there's one thing a sphinx is good at it's keeping a secret and not volunteering information. If Bud says something to Phix about not telling her, I'm sure Phix will just say "you never asked."
It would appear some Corporate Morning Meetings are a bit tardy with the need-to-know information.
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Radical_Knight wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Seems odd Bud would be this far out of the loop, being a senior member of the MIB and all. She was right in the thick of things in the Nu Gui caper recently. It seems like this would have come up at some point in her hanging around the Library. But then, if there's one thing a sphinx is good at it's keeping a secret and not volunteering information. If Bud says something to Phix about not telling her, I'm sure Phix will just say "you never asked."
It would appear some Corporate Morning Meetings are a bit tardy with the need-to-know information.
Yeah, there seems to be a longstanding breakdown in office communication at MIB. Start here:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stinksofphix/

zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Now when did Shelly find out Bia was here mother? When she met Bia and called here Mommy Bia flat out denied it and only claimed to be an ancestor, not the mother. Shortly after that Shelly left. That is when Nudge stepped in a dropped the bomb that Bia is actually Shelly's Mom.

So who actually told Shelly the truth? We haven't seen it happen. Given Phix's granddaughter statement it must have been explained but when? And by who?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

zachariah wrote:Now when did Shelly find out Bia was here mother? When she met Bia and called here Mommy Bia flat out denied it and only claimed to be an ancestor, not the mother. Shortly after that Shelly left. That is when Nudge stepped in a dropped the bomb that Bia is actually Shelly's Mom.

So who actually told Shelly the truth? We haven't seen it happen. Given Phix's granddaughter statement it must have been explained but when? And by who?
Right after that sequence Nudge found Shelly and spent time with her just looking into the distance. This would be the place that she would most likely tell her the truth, After that Phix probably did the same.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Now when did Shelly find out Bia was here mother? When she met Bia and called here Mommy Bia flat out denied it and only claimed to be an ancestor, not the mother. Shortly after that Shelly left. That is when Nudge stepped in a dropped the bomb that Bia is actually Shelly's Mom.

The best guess I can make, is immediately after Phix punched Bia out of the Library. Nudge left the Library and followed Shelly up onto the pinnacle, where they sat together for some time.

We never were shown (or told) exactly what sort of discussion took place here. However, the context is reasonably clear. Shelly had been raging away at Phix about how she was still being kept in the dark (specifically, about Justin being Epimethius)... being lied to by omission, in effect. She had then learned, not two minutes later, that Phix was her grandmother... yet another lie by omission.

Nudge showed up, and realized that Bia had also been lying (directly and by omission) to both Phix and Shelly about her own identity and role. Nudge seems to have resented this (and the pain it was causing), and in a gushing outburst of "admiration" revealed Bia's lies and deception to Phix and Monica. She then followed Shelly.

Although we haven't seen the conversation which followed, I can imagine it going sorta along the following lines...

Is it true, Nudge? She's really my grandmother? She kept this from me, in all the time I've known her? She pretended that our relationship as sphinxes was a distant, historical one, even during all those centuries when I was stuck in the Time Forest?

Yes.

Please, Nudge. No more lies. I've been lied to, so much, about who and what I am, and who other people are. I need to know the truth. What else is there that I haven't been told?

Well... it won't be easy for you to hear, but you really do deserve to know. Bia wasn't telling you the truth, even when she was spilling the beans. She admitted that you're the result of a calculated selective-breeding experiment, but she lied about her own role. She's actually your mother... she married your father so she could bear his daughter, and then she faked her own death. She's immensely powerful and self-willed, and she doesn't really give a damn about anyone else.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

While it likely did happen while Nudge and Shelly were sitting together at that point it actually seemed more like a quiet time for the two of them to me. Nudge climbed up there so she wouldn't be alone and that someone did care. Nudge very seldom tells anyone something straight out like that. She nudges people alone by dropping hints or other facts that lead people to the thinking she was trying for. Need to see who else was there that time. Someone other than Phix probably told her so who else knew?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:MORNINGTON CRESCENT!
On your first move of the day? Shame on you... that's a clear violation.

Since we're playing by 57th Cycle Taylor's Variation rules, you'll have to stand at the King William Street station until the next train stops there, before you can make your next turn.

Bring a book. Perhaps "Waiting For Godot". And do mind the gap.
Sorry, the Clue-by-Four link led me to search for a certain "cure for panel quiz shows" - which, of course, led me to the origin of our favorite game.

And I'm using the Marquis de Queensbury rules, with the Michael Phelps 2012 Aquatic Center exception. So there. :P
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:Although we haven't seen the conversation which followed, I can imagine it going sorta along the following lines...

Is it true, Nudge? She's really my grandmother? She kept this from me, in all the time I've known her? She pretended that our relationship as sphinxes was a distant, historical one, even during all those centuries when I was stuck in the Time Forest?

Yes.

Please, Nudge. No more lies. I've been lied to, so much, about who and what I am, and who other people are. I need to know the truth. What else is there that I haven't been told?

Well... it won't be easy for you to hear, but you really do deserve to know. Bia wasn't telling you the truth, even when she was spilling the beans. She admitted that you're the result of a calculated selective-breeding experiment, but she lied about her own role. She's actually your mother... she married your father so she could bear his daughter, and then she faked her own death. She's immensely powerful and self-willed, and she doesn't really give a damn about anyone else.
I suspect that it didn't exactly go that way, but once it was established that Phix was Shel's grandma, Shelly probably put two and two together and asked her (Phix) right out about Bia.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And every time I see Bud's BSOD face I giggle...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I think it was explained over a muffin...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous