Evening Agenda 2014-02-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Re: Evening Agenda 2014-02-05

Post by shadowinthelight »

KnightDelight wrote:Apo-tartar doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll bet it's filling.
Would that be a main course or just an apo-tizer?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I blame Paul, myself. If he did not open the door to all these puns, none of this would happen.

I think Phix's swim suit is quite appropriate for an older lady. Simple and practical.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
shadowinthelight

davids4250 wrote:I blame Paul, myself. If he did not open the door to all these puns, none of this would happen.

I think Phix's swim suit is quite appropriate for an older lady. Simple and practical.
So you are saying it is apo-priate?

Don't worry, guys. I still have that app to pay the pun jar from my phone.

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

shadowinthelight wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Apo-tartar doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll bet it's filling.
Would that be a main course or just an apo-tizer?
shadowinthelight wrote:
davids4250 wrote:I blame Paul, myself. If he did not open the door to all these puns, none of this would happen.

So you are saying it is apo-priate?
I think you guys owe us an apo-logy...

*Contritely drops a copy of a business pamphlet called "how to fake sincerity" into the pun vault*
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

KnightDelight wrote:So grandmother and granddaughter indulge their primitive instincts from time to time. I wonder what Shelly's dad would think of that sort of behavior? (when the hell are we gonna hear from him about all this) I'm not too sure even Justin would be ok with it. I guess it's an outlet for those tendencies though. Probably also saves a number of Library Apos from the swift and certain fist of instant and bloody doom. Especially now with two powerful sphinxes. They would make a formidable team against any of the would-be Apo-snacks roaming the vast halls of books. Apo-tartar doesn't sound too appealing, but I'll bet it's filling.
Its how an adult predator teaching a younger one to hunt. There probably wasn’t any game in the time forest for Shelly to learn with previously.

Shelly probably wouldn’t be very effective in a fight with another sphinx yet, she has power but not much training. It would be a slugger versus a black belt. Remember it was ‘creepy girl’ who kept her safe in the time forest. On the other hand, Phix cannot be hurt as long as she is in the Library, even by Bud, which is an overwhelming advantage in any fight in there. The other sphinxes don’t have that protection.

Don’t worry about Justin, as a titan he would have seen much worse, and back in the day slaughtered quite a few animals. Doesn’t have all the memories, but wouldn’t be very queasy about it either.

Shelly’s dad will probably be kept in the dark as much as possible. It would be difficult to keep the roles of Phix and Bia out of it, which would cause him a lot of pain. Especially Bia.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

My2Cents wrote:Don’t worry about Justin, as a titan he would have seen much worse, and back in the day slaughtered quite a few animals. Doesn’t have all the memories, but wouldn’t be very queasy about it either.
Justin's reaction might go something like "Why are you eating that raw? Did you blow up the grill again?"

starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

"Vorp?" How is Phix's teleportation different?
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

starkruzr wrote:"Vorp?" How is Phix's teleportation different?
Phix is using the Stargate network somehow. Though I didn't know there was a Stargate nexus at the island. Or, she just knows how to use the Stargate system better than most folks. Those who can't Poit go with those who do or they use the Stargates.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

VORP!.... Sounds like Phix travels by T.A.R.D.I.S. But we know better, don't we? :D
~~~~~~~~~~
You know if this were in color, I bet Phix could work that Swimsuit Usella Andress wore in Dr. No. That orange number with the white belt and knife. *woof* 8-)
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

You know who else goes 'Vorp'? Harem of Grrl Power.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote: Don't worry, guys. I still have that app to pay the pun jar from my phone.
That is full of win. :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

These puns are cutting me deep with a "snicker snack" causing me to grin like a Cheshire Cat. I notice Jabberwonky is staying well clear of this.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I suspect that they set up the Stargate network to Island U296 right after the whole Euryale freezing incident.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Maybe they were having Veal instead of Steak?
## wince ##

Very good indeed, DilyV! I think you're onto something with that suggestion. It does appear that Phix may be trotting out the fatted calf today. There's a lot of symbolism in that... the return of one who was believed to have been lost forever (the Prodigal Son). Perhaps this foreshadows the return of Tina as a unified entity?

(On the other hand, Paul might be making a reference to this forum: not to the Prodigal Son, but to the Prodigious Pun, carried through the streets on the back of a little bull ;) )
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Veal is not "fatted calf" - rather the opposite (and crueely so).

Veal is from calves suffering pernicious anemia due to being fed nothing but milk after they should be weaned.

I refuse to eat anything made with veal.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I can think of several reasons Monica makes Tina nervous and frightens her.

The first would be her role as "Demon Shepard." Tina has always had the ability to influence mortals, Monica included. Now, with M's acceptance of her power, that runs both ways.

The second reason is more subtle. It's kind of like having one of the large breed dogs, like a Doberman or Rottweilerfrom puppyhood. You love them, raise them, watch them grow.

Intellectually, you know they are big, powerful predators, but you don't really acknowledge it emotionally Then one day, you see them do something savage. Maybe to another dog. Maybe they kill an animal . Maybe they bring their prowess to bear in your defense and savage another human who was threatening you.

Whatever the reason, their domesticated veneer strips away, and you see on aspect at the core of their being you never acknowledged before.

To the dog, nothing has changed. But your whole perception of who they are, WHAT they are, has changed.

Monica went through it with Phix Tina is going through it with M. The little Jaguar Girl is all grown up and has a scary savage side.

Tina has readjust to who Monica is, to what she is, on an emotional level.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wdot wrote:These puns are cutting me deep with a "snicker snack" causing me to grin like a Cheshire Cat. I notice Jabberwonky is staying well clear of this.
Apologies, I know I look like and apostate for someone who would normally apotheosize these sorts of goings on. But, I'm going to remain apolitical and not push the apogee of this particular discussion for fear of an apocolyptical retaliation from the pun jar.
Now, I'm off to the apothecary for an apodeictic offering to save us all...

(I know, as an apologue, this sphinx)

=̊Ϸ
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Jabberwonky wrote:Apologies, I know I look like and apostate for someone who would normally apotheosize these sorts of goings on. But, I'm going to remain apolitical and not push the apogee of this particular discussion for fear of an apocolyptical retaliation from the pun jar.

=̊Ϸ
I think this post deserves a round of apolause.

illiad

Post by illiad »

cmdrpowers wrote:
starkruzr wrote:"Vorp?" How is Phix's teleportation different?
Phix is using the Stargate network somehow. Though I didn't know there was a Stargate nexus at the island. Or, she just knows how to use the Stargate system better than most folks. Those who can't Poit go with those who do or they use the Stargates.
I am pretty sure the wapsi stargate does not work like the series of that name... (looks disdainfully at person who made that stick.. :roll: yes, YOU..) it does not seem to need a 'receptor', it is more like a teleport/ transmat/ whatever... :/
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:Veal is not "fatted calf" - rather the opposite (and cruely so).

Veal is from calves suffering pernicious anemia due to being fed nothing but milk after they should be weaned.
That's true of commercial "white veal", and as you correctly point out the conditions under which "white veal" calves are raised are often quite cruel. Restrictive "veal cages" have been outlawed in the EU for some time, and have been or soon will be outlawed in some U.S. states.

Other ways of raising veal for market exist, which don't involve such physical restriction and such limited (and inappropriate) diets. The Wikipedia article on veal lists several: pasture-raised, free-raised, grain-fed, "rose veal", etc. These sound as if they'd qualify as "fatted calf" in many cases.

I don't personally eat veal of any of these sorts... but I do believe it's possible to raise veal in a way that's not any more inherently cruel than any other way of raising animals for use as food. Whether that cruelty (and/or eating animals at all) is justifiable (from a human or any other point of view) gets us into a whole huge debate that I don't think we could even start to settle here.
shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Apologies, I know I look like and apostate for someone who would normally apotheosize these sorts of goings on. But, I'm going to remain apolitical and not push the apogee of this particular discussion for fear of an apocolyptical retaliation from the pun jar.

=̊Ϸ
I think this post deserves a round of apolause.
That's assuredly an apolicable award!