Hard Rock Atsali 2014-01-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Leak

Re: Hard Rock Atsali 2014-01-31

Post by Leak »

Grantwhy wrote:Ok - something I noticed yesterday and it's the same in today's art.

Atsali's irises - they appear to be crescent shape in both pages.

Is is an art style? A representation of the light source (reflecting & obscuring part of the irises).

Or is it a trait of Sirens? Perhaps in certain forms - or emotions? - their irises change?
It's the reflection of some light source in her irises; it's something common that a lot of artists do... :)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Not to mention the fact that prints of a given piece can increase the value of the original since they let others know that the original exists. If you are an art collector you would know that no mater how many prints of a work exist, nothing can decrease the value (intrinsic and monetary) of an original (just use the given example of any Van Gough(sp?), the work has been reprinted so many times but the originals are still getting staggering prices).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

WoW!! Must. Remember. Shes Only. FIFTEEN! (Now, say it like Captain Kirk.) :lol:
Although I must admit Atsali is Rockin' that tight, Black leather I'm guessing, Mini skirt. - Excuse me while I step outside in the cold. ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Of course, 15 in Siren years might be a little bit longer in Terran years... ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

TheDOCTOR wrote:WoW!! Must. Remember. Shes Only. FIFTEEN! (Now, say it like Captain Kirk.) :lol:
Although I must admit Atsali is Rockin' that tight, Black leather I'm guessing, Mini skirt. - Excuse me while I step outside in the cold. ;)
Yes, if you ever forget that fact the only siren you will be hearing is a police siren.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Like the saying goes, "Fifteen will get you twenty."
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

'At's why I say we need to have a Sweet Sixteen party for Atsali soon! AND a birthday party for Castela as well (just for the kyootness rush).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Dave

Post by Dave »

NOTDilbert wrote:'At's why I say we need to have a Sweet Sixteen party for Atsali soon! AND a birthday party for Castela as well (just for the kyootness rush).
But would Castela be making sarcastic remarks about Atsali's newly-curvy form, and thus turn the whole event into a debut taunt?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:'At's why I say we need to have a Sweet Sixteen party for Atsali soon! AND a birthday party for Castela as well (just for the kyootness rush).
But would Castela be making sarcastic remarks about Atsali's newly-curvy form, and thus turn the whole event into a debut taunt?
<dignified and disdainful silence>
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Cyberpawz wrote:Well for me, I will honestly say that when I got the print from Ebay it was meant to be Original Art, now we have reprints of it? It sort of cheapens the Original Art concept. I know there is going to be a difference, but how much really?
"Original" does not mean "Exclusive".
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Leak wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:Ok - something I noticed yesterday and it's the same in today's art.

Atsali's irises - they appear to be crescent shape in both pages.

Is is an art style? A representation of the light source (reflecting & obscuring part of the irises).

Or is it a trait of Sirens? Perhaps in certain forms - or emotions? - their irises change?
It's the reflection of some light source in her irises; it's something common that a lot of artists do... :)
Yeah, just check out how he does that with Kathe-. . .

Errrr, never mind.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

He does, actually. The three "white spots" float on occasion, whereas when she was first introduced, they were just black.

On the topic of these one-shots - I actually imagine it pretty much as this: Amanda probably does "senior pictures" and "studio pictures" like this as part of her job. Monica and/or Katherine would probably pay for them as photos to hang up at home.

Heck, Atsali could be helping out Amanda, doing some ad work for a local independent tee-shirt shop over on Hennepin; Monica already did the "FREE HUGS" one for her last year. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:He does, actually. The three "white spots" float on occasion, whereas when she was first introduced, they were just black.
I find the fact that there are always three "reflections" in each of Katharine's eyes.

Which adds up to six.

Hmmm.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

look at a few pics of fashion photog... there is always those to give the eye 'depth' - it just looks '2D' without it...
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

davids4250 wrote:
Cyberpawz wrote:Well for me, I will honestly say that when I got the print from Ebay it was meant to be Original Art, now we have reprints of it? It sort of cheapens the Original Art concept. I know there is going to be a difference, but how much really?
Even so, I have some originals from Nene Thomas as well, and a few reproductions (numbered), all signed....

It just seems that in this case Original went up before the prints did, that's usually counter to what normally happens, it just hit me a little after winning the Original, which I like, don't get me wrong, and won't trade it for anything, but we are seeing it for the first time (except those that saw it on Ebay first), Friday, through this weekend instead of the reverse.
as363

Post by as363 »

Ah - Sunday morning - at least we have the Superbowl commercials to look forward to. And then - Monday brings us .. More Atsalia ? Back to Tina ? Something out of left field ? None of the preceding ?

I'm not very good at predicting Mr. P's move - so I'll just have to wait and see.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

as363 wrote:Ah - Sunday morning - at least we have the Superbowl commercials to look forward to. And then - Monday brings us .. More Atsalia ? Back to Tina ? Something out of left field ? None of the preceding ?

I'm not very good at predicting Mr. P's move - so I'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, at least one of them is going to be for a Kickstarter i backed, GoldieBlox... i am really glad they won Intuit’s Small Business, Big Game Challenge, that'll have them in a commercial during the superbowl.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Fairportfan wrote:I find the fact that there are always three "reflections" in each of Katharine's eyes.

Which adds up to six.
When it adds up to twenty-four, then things might get even more interesting.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Cyberpawz wrote:
davids4250 wrote:
Even so, I have some originals from Nene Thomas as well, and a few reproductions (numbered), all signed....

It just seems that in this case Original went up before the prints did, that's usually counter to what normally happens, it just hit me a little after winning the Original, which I like, don't get me wrong, and won't trade it for anything, but we are seeing it for the first time (except those that saw it on Ebay first), Friday, through this weekend instead of the reverse.
I've been distracted setting things up to have my son go in for surgery and didn't have the clarity of mind to get and prints posted, it's a little more work than posting to Ebay. My son has been where my brain has been for the last two weeks and I'll probably be out of full mental commission for the next couple weeks until he has his surgery. He was born with internal birth defects and now another has caught up with him and is compromising his ability to breath and concentrate on school work. His airway is closed off so bad he snores while wide awake. And the doctor said that even after the surgery to open things up, he most likely will end up with pulmonary edema because of the drastic pressure change in his lungs. That aside, if you feel that somehow I "pulled on over on you" by having prints after an Ebay sale, I have done this in the past as well. Prints are expensive for me to get made and I can gauge how popular a pic will be by how it goes on Ebay. Sometimes I release them at the same time as the auction, other times I don't. I posted the image on Friday because my son was throwing up because he's so worried about the upcoming surgery. He spent the first 2+ months of his life in the hospital and had to go back repeatedly for various complications. He's very fearful of the hospital because of the various invasive shit they have to do to him. I posted that image because I didn't have the strength to take care of him and draw another comic.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Paul, I'll say an extra prayer for your boy tonight. Also talk to him let him know everything will be okay and if he doesn't understand then at least your calming voice will help him and hearing youself saying those words might help yourself as well.
.....and if that doesn't do it, Sing "Soft Kitty" to him. I'm serious, It works. ;)