Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Post by jwhouk »

Opus the Poet wrote: According to my acquaintance Jeph Jacques, Mogwai is metal (Excuse me METAL)
This means, of course, that Atsali's next t-shirt needs to be DEATHMØLE.

For those of you who don't get the joke: it all started here.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Someone needs to introduce that girl to the Ramones.

And the Kinks.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

Leak wrote:I get the feeling I am the only one here that doesn't care about heavy metal at all, despite being born in 1977...

If I want noisy guitar I'll take Christian Fennesz, Mogwai, Giardini di Mirò or Tocotronic over metal.
Born?? nope you need to be around 15 or 20 then, for the *classic* METAL bands!! :mrgreen:

Iron maiden formed 77, Def Leppard formed 77, Motörhead formed 75, deep purple started 68, 'had a rest' from 76.. :| reformed 84!! :D ... :? help me out guys...:P :D

led zep were biggest band in 71 - 75..
Last edited by illiad on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

as363 wrote:It could be worse - she could start doing parodies from Weird Al Yankovitch - don't think I could handle that !
Excuse ME, but it's Weird Al Yankovic. :geek: My inner pedant strikes again.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

illiad wrote:
Leak wrote:I get the feeling I am the only one here that doesn't care about heavy metal at all, despite being born in 1977...

If I want noisy guitar I'll take Christian Fennesz, Mogwai, Giardini di Mirò or Tocotronic over metal.
Born?? nope you need to be around 15 or 20 then, for the *classic* METAL bands!! :mrgreen:

Iron maiden formed 77, Def Leppard formed 77, Motörhead formed 75, deep purple started 68, 'had a rest' from 76.. :| reformed 84!! :D ... :? help me out guys...:P :D

led zep were biggest band in 71 - 75..
I was born in 74, and tell you the truth, the best bands were formed when I was a baby... and a little before hand too. (Except the Doors, sorry...)

AC/DC has always been one of my favorites...

As for later bands, Metallica was good until they came out with a "soft version" of themselves, but again, it's a personal taste. Motley Crew, AC/DC, White Snake, Rob Zombie, it all depends on your tastes...

For today's groups, Avenge Sevenfold has potential...first time I heard them I thought it was Metallica going back to their roots... I mean I like other groups out there today, but it's hard to find a good rock band that reminds me of the old groups...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I prefer the original.

You say you want a Revolution...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

jwhouk wrote:I prefer the original.

Meh, they weren't the original, but they were the ones that made it main stream. I have always thought the Beatles always were given too much credit... their songs were good, but honestly they were standing on the shoulders of everyone else before them... and those people had now been forgotten.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Just remember, guys, she's still underage. (Or shall we assume that some of the pinups are looking a few years into the future?)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

SWEET SIXTEEN PARTY FOR ATSALI! Wooot!
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Cyberpawz wrote:
As for later bands, Metallica was good until they came out with a "soft version" of themselves, but again, it's a personal taste. Motley Crew, AC/DC, White Snake, Rob Zombie, it all depends on your tastes...

For today's groups, Avenge Sevenfold has potential...first time I heard them I thought it was Metallica going back to their roots... I mean I like other groups out there today, but it's hard to find a good rock band that reminds me of the old groups...
Metallica has two eras, Alcahollica, when they were at their best (and so broke that their drug of choice was Jack Daniels) and Metallicop, marked by debut of Load and Lars Ulrich leading the charge against filesharing sites like Napster. The Black Album, (Enter Sandman, etc.) is the clear dividing line. Still good, still pretty hard, but cleaned up and shortened for MTV and radio. Everything after that is hit or miss. Load and Reload almost make one good album if you put them together. I bought listened to and gave away St. Anger in 36 hours.

Death Magnetic is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Cyberpawz wrote:

Meh, they weren't the original, but they were the ones that made it main stream. I have always thought the Beatles always were given too much credit... their songs were good, but honestly they were standing on the shoulders of everyone else before them... and those people had now been forgotten.
With just one song (and hardly their only important one) the Kinks had almost as much influence on the future of rock as the Beatles career.

Most of the Beatles' innovations were basically improvements to existing forms and norms ..."You Really Got Me" was such a blast outta left field that the record label called them up and said that the tape was so distorted they couldn't release it and did they have a better copy.

Three chords and a sound that required the near destruction of an amp to get.

And it's still echoing through rock, power pop and punk fifty years later.

Bands have built whole careers on what Ray and Dave created in that one song.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

Fairportfan wrote:
Cyberpawz wrote:

With just one song (and hardly their only important one) the Kinks had almost as much influence on the future of rock as the Beatles career.

Most of the Beatles' innovations were basically improvements to existing forms and norms ..."You Really Got Me" was such a blast outta left field that the record label called them up and said that the tape was so distorted they couldn't release it and did they have a better copy.

And it's still echoing through rock, power pop and punk forty years later.

Finally, someone who actually agrees with me. You can't believe how long it's taken me to find someone to actually say that... it seems every time you say the Beatles are over-rated it's like you are saying the Bible is a lie to a die hard Catholic... in English, duck...
Leak

Post by Leak »

Opus the Poet wrote:

According to my acquaintance Jeph Jacques, Mogwai is metal (Excuse me METAL)
Well, according to my buddies Wikipedia and Discogs Mogwai are post-rock, and I'm pretty sure I haven't noticed them being metal despite having all their albums either... :)

Also, my favourite eighties bands are still Yello, New Order and (kind of a stretch, I know) The Orb.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yello?! I haven't thought about them in years...
:D
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Cyberpawz wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Cyberpawz wrote: Meh, they weren't the original, but they were the ones that made it main stream. I have always thought the Beatles always were given too much credit... their songs were good, but honestly they were standing on the shoulders of everyone else before them... and those people had now been forgotten.

And it's still echoing through rock, power pop and punk forty years later.

Finally, someone who actually agrees with me. You can't believe how long it's taken me to find someone to actually say that... it seems every time you say the Beatles are over-rated it's like you are saying the Bible is a lie to a die hard Catholic... in English, duck...
Oh, i'd hardly say the Beatles are overrated - more that i think that the Kinks are way underrated.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

For those not familiar with the song (or, at least, the real song, as opposed to Van Halen's mediocre cover) ... here it is.

Turn it up loud.

And, near the middle, at the beginning of the guitar solo, listen carefully to Dave Davies yelling at brother Ray, which you may be able to hear despite Ray trying to cover him up with "Oh no!"
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, it was not pointed out to me until recently that John Lennon openly cursed on what is arguably one of the most popular Beatles songs ever ("Hey Jude"). Of course, all this time I thought he was saying, "take it out" and not "####ing hell" after missing a chord.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Two things I'd like to see...

Atsali in a Rush shirt

and

This pose of atsali as she is now... good lord... I imagine that statement would really work now!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=1360#p24309
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

DilyV wrote:Two things I'd like to see...

Atsali in a Rush shirt

and

This pose of atsali as she is now... good lord... I imagine that statement would really work now!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=1360#p24309
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/161214325375
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There you go, DilyV. ;)