Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Heavy Metal 2014-01-30

Post by jwhouk »

BANG YOUR HEAD!

METAL HEALTH WILL DRIVE YOU MAAAAAD!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Cyberpawz wrote:This one is cool in it's own right, I personally liked the first one better, it showed an innocence but mischievous side. This one just makes her look like a bad girl, which she really isn't so far. Hope that isn't things to come ;)
Agreed on liking the first one better. It seemed much more 'Atsali like' to me and it actually reminded me a lot of Monica. My favourite recent pinup is actually the one of her on skates that was on eBay this week. Sadly, my eBay budget is somewhat limited :cry: but if it were to come up as a print at some point I might have to consider it.

Personally I don't read much into what these pinups might say about a character's personality since I take them as being more of a posed picture rather than a candid shot. The last two days' pages are obviously more candid but this seems more like she's showing off for the camera. Not that she doesn't have a meaner side, the look she gave Gotlieb in the last page of the swimming lesson arc, before she knew she was being thanked, shows at least a little bit of what people on her bad side might be in for. :shock:

Anyone else want to know if Castella is somewhere nearby trying to imitate the same pose? :lol: That has the potential to be hilarious.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Speaking of metal...
Oh,hell, Fairport, now we're going to have to explain 8-tracks to the young 'uns
Some things are best left in the past, and allowed to fade out to become Ancient Mysteries mentioned occasionally on obscure cable-TV shows shown at 4 in the morning and watched only by insomniac security guards.
"the song is just getting to my favorite part"

CLUNK

DAMMIT!

Yeah, there's a reason eight tracks didn't stick around very long.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

jwhouk wrote:BANG YOUR HEAD!

Man, staying up late on the weekend watching Headbangers Ball.

God, I'm getting old.
as363

Post by as363 »

It could be worse - she could start doing parodies from Weird Al Yankovitch - don't think I could handle that !
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:It could be worse - she could start doing parodies from Weird Al Yankovitch - don't think I could handle that !
Awww. I think seeing Atsali and Castela on the school stage, singing "Fish Heads" in harmony, would be an absolute hoot. Not Weird Al material, of course, but the Demento link ought to count for something.

Appropriate, too... for Atsali (a Siren, with a shore-bird design pattern) fish heads would be "traditional food", and for our favorite botanical-Whatsit Castela they'd be "organic fertilizer".
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

GuySmiley wrote:
Cyberpawz wrote:This one is cool in it's own right, I personally liked the first one better, it showed an innocence but mischievous side. This one just makes her look like a bad girl, which she really isn't so far. Hope that isn't things to come ;)
Agreed on liking the first one better. It seemed much more 'Atsali like' to me and it actually reminded me a lot of Monica. My favourite recent pinup is actually the one of her on skates that was on eBay this week. Sadly, my eBay budget is somewhat limited :cry: but if it were to come up as a print at some point I might have to consider it.

Personally I don't read much into what these pinups might say about a character's personality since I take them as being more of a posed picture rather than a candid shot. The last two days' pages are obviously more candid but this seems more like she's showing off for the camera. Not that she doesn't have a meaner side, the look she gave Gotlieb in the last page of the swimming lesson arc, before she knew she was being thanked, shows at least a little bit of what people on her bad side might be in for. :shock:

Anyone else want to know if Castella is somewhere nearby trying to imitate the same pose? :lol: That has the potential to be hilarious.
Trust me, the last one killed my budget for a while as well, the bills are piling up, but hell it was worth it ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Drakkenmensch wrote:Atsali is definitely showing a growing love of music. She's starting to find herself and to love who she is.
Sirens sing.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:
jwhouk wrote:BANG YOUR HEAD!

Man, staying up late on the weekend watching Headbangers Ball.

God, I'm getting old.
Heh. At one time the promos for Headbangers' Ball used clips from the Blotto song i linked earlier...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Hey - don't diss 8-track.

One of the greatest (and earliest, really) alt.country albums was only available on 8-track for manymany years.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Charon may have a thing or two to say about heavy metal poisoning.

(He's old enough, for sure.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sidhekin wrote:Charon may have a thing or two to say about heavy metal poisoning.

(He's old enough, for sure.)
You're saying he got into a disagreement with Mercury?

I don't think I ever heard mention of that dispute before. Perhaps the records were hermetically sealed?
Leak

Post by Leak »

I get the feeling I am the only one here that doesn't care about heavy metal at all, despite being born in 1977...

If I want noisy guitar I'll take Christian Fennesz, Mogwai, Giardini di Mirò or Tocotronic over metal.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

illiad wrote::D well I hope there are Dio, Def Leppard, Meat Loaf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kiss, Twisted Sister, and more lined up..... :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and well, I'm sure Kath will be happy to be back in black soon, and join in!! :D

Atsali is no problem child, she just wants to prove she is not just that stereotype, she wants to be accepted by the older girls... 8-)

and hey, even elvis had that snarl... :)*edit image*
I thought his was allergies...?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
as363 wrote:It could be worse - she could start doing parodies from Weird Al Yankovitch - don't think I could handle that !
Awww. I think seeing Atsali and Castela on the school stage, singing "Fish Heads" in harmony, would be an absolute hoot. Not Weird Al material, of course, but the Demento link ought to count for something.

Appropriate, too... for Atsali (a Siren, with a shore-bird design pattern) fish heads would be "traditional food", and for our favorite botanical-Whatsit Castela they'd be "organic fertilizer".
And for a certain pair of mermaids in the audience it'd be "trash talk".
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Leak wrote:I get the feeling I am the only one here that doesn't care about heavy metal at all, despite being born in 1977...

If I want noisy guitar I'll take Christian Fennesz, Mogwai, Giardini di Mirò or Tocotronic over metal.
I'm not a fan of most metal - Ramones-style speed-metal can be fun, and there are a couple of Twisted Sister songs...

I'm more into straight rock, power pop and .alt-country/cowpunk (and good, mostly-non-"Nashville-Sound" country...)...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

*looks up at the big bird looming overhead*
I think I need a bigger seed bell.
Dave

Post by Dave »

NOTDilbert wrote:And for a certain pair of mermaids in the audience it'd be "trash talk".
Hmmm... dunno about that. From what we've seen of Jessie and Krystal, they appear to be distinctly (although not spectacularly) mammalian. Jessie's mermaid-morph tail motion looks as if it may be vertical rather than horizontal. From those two data, I infer that mermaids may be more dolphin-analog than fish-analog.

If so, they might consider fish heads to be "food", rather than "part of third-cousin Bob".
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Leak wrote:I get the feeling I am the only one here that doesn't care about heavy metal at all, despite being born in 1977...

According to my acquaintance Jeph Jacques, Mogwai is metal (Excuse me METAL)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

...The featured logo I wanna see?

:mrgreen: