Here I Am 2014-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Here I Am 2014-01-23

Post by GlytchMeister »

tombone wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up, but I'm thinking about another theory regarding Tina's recent issues.

How about the idea that the original "Tina" that died in the auto accident so many years ago, leaving an empty shell for the demon chorus actually didn't die at all, but instead her psyche was so badly injured/suppressed by the incident that neither the current residents nor Nudge were able to detect her presence, and somehow Bia actually woke her up? It would account for her being able to detect stimuli at a physical level (seeing and feeling sunlight), and also the recent occurrence of dreaming.
Welcome to the forums!

As for your theory, Atomic got a cookie from Paul himself for pointing out a few clues that suggest Connie (Creepy little girl) is... An amalgamation of Tina1.0's soul and Shelly's demons.

(Tina1.0 = original! pre-crash Tina, Tina 2.0 = post-crash Tina, and Tina2.1 = Post Nudgectomy Tina... Just in case you didn't lurk long enough to know this already :D )
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

DilyV wrote:And much is now a little clearer anyway... Tenty did stay at home... and Tina was almost assuredly affecting Monica and Atsali's perceptions...

Now... How the hell did Tenty get to the shop without being reported as the beast from 20,000 fathoms?
The without being reported part has already covered http://wapsisquare.com/comic/what-they-want/

But Tenty's response to Atsalli indicates that it is also startled/scared by her, or possibly just being seen by her. Remember the prohibition on a demon's actions directly causing harm, well being seen probably falls under that clause for most of them. Atsalli isn't obviously non-human, so Tenty may be slightly terrified of potentially pending sphinx action.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Julie wrote: That said...regarding demons' ability to leave the quantum space...We know from Jet's Guidance that demons can't leave their quantum space until their host dies, but we've seen M's demons out and about.
Overthink it not, Miss Julie. Our lovely heroine has died at least thrice - five times if you count her first foray as Jaguar Girl and her little face-off in the Library. Her demons are allowed to roam, because she allows them. And, because they're her demons, they return - whether they like it or not. (She is, after all, the Demon Shepherd.)

----

On to another WMG: What if Bia is trying to "stack the deck" (or, as younger types might say it, "game the system")? Consider the following: Bia knows about this "set the powers right" prophecy of Sybil, and has also perhaps heard about this seven winged being prophecy Tina mentioned in the middle of the 'Jet arc. What if she's trying to play amateur genetic engineer and trying to produce another "winged heir" from her own stable - but, in doing so, discovered that the beastie she was setting her brood with was a nasty little "player" who was more interested in the Benjamins than any prophecy? As a result, he left his highly intelligent but demon-infested daughter to fend for herself - and the only way she could get away from him was to fake her own death? (Though it wasn't "really fake"...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh, by the conventions of comics and movies, Atsali and Tenty will now have to bond and become fast friends, ready to stand back-to-whatever against the adult world...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:
Julie wrote: That said...regarding demons' ability to leave the quantum space...We know from Jet's Guidance that demons can't leave their quantum space until their host dies, but we've seen M's demons out and about.
Overthink it not, Miss Julie. Our lovely heroine has died at least thrice - five times if you count her first foray as Jaguar Girl and her little face-off in the Library. Her demons are allowed to roam, because she allows them. And, because they're her demons, they return - whether they like it or not. (She is, after all, the Demon Shepherd.)
It is simpler than that. Monica was an open doorway for the demons. They could come and go through her as they pleased. That was what the demons were after during the Calendar sequence. At the end the blade in Monica's skull provided the key to lock her doorway shut. This removed demons ability to use it freely. Then the other gateway was destroyed when Shelly's gate/tattoo was removed by Bud. Since then the demons around her are under her control and part of her crew.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

TENTACLE!!!!!!!! Of DOOM!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Timotheus wrote:To reference BC, "Tentacle demons have feet!"
Not to nitpick or anything (okay, totally to nitpick), that should be "Tentacle demons got feet!"
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

DilyV wrote:TENTACLE!!!!!!!! Of DOOM!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUDDENLY

OUT OF FRIGGIN' NOWHERE

TENTACLE
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Prester Fred wrote:
Not to nitpick or anything (okay, totally to nitpick), that should be "Tentacle demons got feet!"
Should I say "Oh, clam up!" or would that be rude (or redundent) in this situation? Do tell me the TRVTH, please!
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Dave wrote:Should I say "Oh, clam up!" or would that be rude (or redundent) in this situation? Do tell me the TRVTH, please!
Pardon me while I indulge in some Belated Chuckles.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

They're pretty belated, considering that I don't think they've been making them for quite some time... ;)

EDIT: I stand corrected; they do still make them - but not in high quantities.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Prester Fred wrote:
CLAMS got feet. Tentacle demons HAVE feet. (They're obviously more refined and use better grammar.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Julie

Post by Julie »

zachariah wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
It is simpler than that. Monica was an open doorway for the demons. They could come and go through her as they pleased. That was what the demons were after during the Calendar sequence. At the end the blade in Monica's skull provided the key to lock her doorway shut. This removed demons ability to use it freely. Then the other gateway was destroyed when Shelly's gate/tattoo was removed by Bud. Since then the demons around her are under her control and part of her crew.
Well, I did suggest that there might be something special about Monica. I just was curious what it was specifically...her being a Demon Shepherd or her "special relationship" with her demons that I seem to recall someone mentioning would make her very dangerous if they were able to take over the show or some such kind of thing (or maybe that was referencing her being a doorway?)...but I will admit that it didn't occur to me that M died back when she was hit by that bus, so her demons might have had a nifty little loophole to use all this time. That said, I now have to wonder if every person who "dies" and is resuscitated essentially has free-range demons...or perhaps becomes a doorway like Monica was. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"...Rock me like a Hurricane...".

(I suppose I should have checked to see if I was beaten to the punch.)
illiad

Post by illiad »

dunno if this matters or not... :/

The younger M just thought she was 'an ordinary girl' whose relatives knew a lot about old stuff, how to read glyph, working for the museum etc... and it took her a LONG time to convince her otherwise.. :roll:

"no, it's just fancy imagination"
"just fancy stories, imagination... Indiana Jones BS... "
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Timotheus wrote:CLAMS got feet. Tentacle demons HAVE feet. (They're obviously more refined and use better grammar.)
Well, I've just looked it up, and we were both wrong. Tentacle demons have feet, and clams got legs.

The more you know...
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I concede.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?