Here I Am 2014-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jayessell

Re: Here I Am 2014-01-23

Post by jayessell »

Maybe Tenty felt she was letting down the team by skipping work.
Or was maybe a little lonely. Scared?

If Atsali is freaked now, wait until the demon clocks in.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Siarles wrote: The simple answer most people seem to be overlooking is that demons can't be seen by most people.
Exactly. Supports the theory I posited a few days back when this first started. That when Bia said they were free, she meant it. They could go about as they pleased even becoming flesh and blood (or whatever they are made of) and interact directly with the human world now. Free of the confines of Tina's demon space in a real sense. And free of having to use Tina's shell to get about outside of the house. If they can morph into human form as well, this could spell bad things concerning the cohesiveness of the covey. It may be every demon for herself. Either that, or Tina now has a real staff to run things. Not just on the inside. Someone needs to woman the ship though. Maybe they will rotate duties. All in all this could even lead to each of them becoming "people" in their own right as opposed to some new "soul" by joining together as with Connie. The start of a way to integrate demons into society. Problem is, people need demons as much as demons need them so I don't know. Maybe it's just these demons for some reason.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

DilyV wrote: Now... How the hell did Tenty get to the shop without being reported as the beast from 20,000 fathoms?
Well the Beast From 20,000 centi-milli-fathoms (1.2 feet). About the depth of water in a bathtub with a full grown tentacle in it.
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Wyvern wrote:Aaaaaauuuuuuuuuugh!!
AAUGH!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:
Siarles wrote: The simple answer most people seem to be overlooking is that demons can't be seen by most people.
Exactly. Supports the theory I posited a few days back when this first started. That when Bia said they were free, she meant it. They could go about as they pleased even becoming flesh and blood (or whatever they are made of) and interact directly with the human world now. Free of the confines of Tina's demon space in a real sense. And free of having to use Tina's shell to get about outside of the house. If they can morph into human form as well, this could spell bad things concerning the cohesiveness of the covey. It may be every demon for herself. Either that, or Tina now has a real staff to run things. Not just on the inside. Someone needs to woman the ship though. Maybe they will rotate duties. All in all this could even lead to each of them becoming "people" in their own right as opposed to some new "soul" by joining together as with Connie. The start of a way to integrate demons into society. Problem is, people need demons as much as demons need them so I don't know. Maybe it's just these demons for some reason.
I don't think Bia's comment went that far. I think it meant she was free from the quantum space of demons. This also freed her from the demon rules but did not undo their punishment. That being the case would make this a birth of a new being. Just the labor is taking a long time. Once born though they new being faces lots of problems with adjusting to new perceptions of reality. Besides we don't even know if Bia was really there in the dream.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

DilyV wrote:And much is now a little clearer anyway... Tenty did stay at home... and Tina was almost assuredly affecting Monica and Atsali's perceptions...

Now... How the hell did Tenty get to the shop without being reported as the beast from 20,000 fathoms?
To reference BC, "Tentacle demons have feet!"
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

zachariah wrote: Besides we don't even know if Bia was really there in the dream.
I have seen a number of speculations that Bia may not have actually been in Tina's dream, but as I recall, we have seen absolutely nothing to indicate that Tina has ever encountered Bia in person. It is possible, even probable, that Monica or Shelley, or even Nudge or Phix have told Tina about the encounter in the Library, but there is nothing to indicate that Tina and Bia have met. Therefor, how could Tina have dreamed about herso exactly?
No, Bia was there in Tina's dream for some reason only she knows. She is a manipulator, and uses people and things (both of which apply to Tina) as she will, with little care about them. While I do not like her, she is not Evil in the normal sense, she just has her own agenda and is determined to see it through.
I fear for Tina. She is one of my favorite characters and has been since the beginning.
Poor Atsali has been getting several shocks. First she encounters a dead body controlled by demons, then her Aunt Monica yells at her, then she feels terribly guilty, and THEN she encounters one of Tina's demons itself! Even at 15, I think she might need a drop of something stronger than coffee. At the very least, she and Tina should go out for pizza.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...well,this may not mean anything, but Monica's hairstyle is simultaneously making more sense and less sense.
More because it's closer to what she usually does, and doesn't look almost exactly like Atsali's default.
Less because the... Ummm... "Swished-over" bit is reversing direction.

(Regarding "swished-over": I intentionally buzz-cut my hair so I don't have to style it, so I have almost no vocabulary or knowledge in that area)

EDIT: this all happened on an earlier strip, I'm just now noticing... :oops:
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

I knew it! Tenty was having a nice relaxing soak to calm her shattered nerves. :D And I love the mutual 'AAAGH!' from Tenty and Atsali. Can't wait for tomorrow's strip!
as363

Post by as363 »

Why do I keep hearing the song - "and the music goes round and round - and it comes out here". ???
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dude. Monica has switched hairstyles frequently, though she defaults to her long hair.

MST3K mantra, my friend.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

jayessell wrote:Maybe Tenty felt she was letting down the team by skipping work.
Or was maybe a little lonely. Scared?

If Atsali is freaked now, wait until the demon clocks in.
Yeah this is not anime/hentai so the tentacle wont go in through the (for lack of a better word,) 'rear door' which is good. But its normal entrance is enough to make a person swear off sushi for a long long time. :shock:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Yamara wrote:
Dave wrote:The tentacle-demon's reaction (hey, do we know what her name actually is?) makes perfect sense.

After all, large birds do eat large seafood creatures, from time to time.
If this were Looney Tunes, the Jaguar would be chasing the Siren who would be chasing the Tentacle. Paul has enough backgrounds to keep them in constant rotation as they run.

As a side note, Atsali has a clear view of the rest of Tentacle. This poor girl has seen too much.
as to what the rest of the tentacle looks like, all I can think of is http://dadott.reelfilm.com/strip80.jpg
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

So Shadow's awesome picture is canon. Cool! So glad Atsali recognized her foot in mouth syndrome and it was from fear and astonishment, not prejudice. This was a very cool episode. Tentacle is visible to Atsali, interesting...
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Start here... I think this is our first introduction to Stinky visually... looks an awful lot like Tenty... or a close relative...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/awful-stench/

Adorable Octopod indeed...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Poor Tina....so lost and confused right now. I still think Phix should make an appearance since she seemed to be somewhat aware of Tina's evolution when they last interacted. She might have some worthwhile insight.
KnightDelight wrote:
I like your theory, but I'm not sure I buy it just yet. :)

That said...regarding demons' ability to leave the quantum space...We know from Jet's Guidance that demons can't leave their quantum space until their host dies, but we've seen M's demons out and about. Is that because of her nature as Demon Shepherd and/or the special relationship she's had with her demons most of her life? Jet's Guidance also wondered at the mess it would be if demons could just exit their host (I guess we got to see that firsthand with Jin's demon "queen" :)), but Tina's demons have also been randomly making appearances out and about for a long time (even prior to her Nudgectomy IIRC). Are they allowed out of quantum space because their host is technically already dead? Or were we just seeing that (and potentially even M's demon interactions) because they were interacting with their hosts, and so their visible manifestation outside of the body helped facilitate storytelling? Or is this (meaning the current story arc) a manifestation of the kind of willy-nilly "mess" Guidance was suggesting would happen if demons could leave their hosts?

And I think I've exhausted most of my brain power for today. :P Back to The Corner!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Day of the Tentacle!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

OoooKay. I have now had proof positive I think about Wapsi too much ... I had a dream in which I saw tomorrow's comic. It started with a couple of half-panels of a flashback showing Tentacle calling the MIB for a ride to Tina's shop and the next showing her strapped in the back seat of a black SUV, being transported (which I found rather humorous). The next panel was at the shop with Atsali and Tentacle eye to eye (well eye to tentacle sucker) with both displaying a large exclamation mark over their heads (the aftermath of the mutual scream fest). Then an insert of Tentacle "melting" with vapor rising. The final panel showed a small heap of something on the floor as the cliff hanger. My thinking in the dream was she had probably simply shed her flesh form and re-entered Tina in a more standard demon spirit-like mode. She could recreate the physical body again as needed.

Of course, I don't expect tomorrow's comic to be anything like that. Oddly when I was in the midst of making that Calendar Machine movie, I never dreamed of Wapsi anything. I was much more immersed in it at that time than now.
tombone

Post by tombone »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I'm thinking about another theory regarding Tina's recent issues.

How about the idea that the original "Tina" that died in the auto accident so many years ago, leaving an empty shell for the demon chorus actually didn't die at all, but instead her psyche was so badly injured/suppressed by the incident that neither the current residents nor Nudge were able to detect her presence, and somehow Bia actually woke her up? It would account for her being able to detect stimuli at a physical level (seeing and feeling sunlight), and also the recent occurrence of dreaming.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

KnightDelight wrote:OoooKay. I have now had proof positive I think about Wapsi too much ... I had a dream in which I saw tomorrow's comic. It started with a couple of half-panels of a flashback showing Tentacle calling the MIB for a ride to Tina's shop and the next showing her strapped in the back seat of a black SUV, being transported (which I found rather humorous). The next panel was at the shop with Atsali and Tentacle eye to eye (well eye to tentacle sucker) with both displaying a large exclamation mark over their heads (the aftermath of the mutual scream fest). Then an insert of Tentacle "melting" with vapor rising. The final panel showed a small heap of something on the floor as the cliff hanger. My thinking in the dream was she had probably simply shed her flesh form and re-entered Tina in a more standard demon spirit-like mode. She could recreate the physical body again as needed.

Of course, I don't expect tomorrow's comic to be anything like that. Oddly when I was in the midst of making that Calendar Machine movie, I never dreamed of Wapsi anything. I was much more immersed in it at that time than now.
I did dream about "Wapsi Square: The Animated Series" once. To quote the movie "True Stories": If you can imagine it, it exists, somewhere.