How Silly Is That 2014-01-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

How Silly Is That 2014-01-20

Post by AmriloJim »

Atsali's 3rd panel comment leaked back to the 2nd....
Opus the Poet

Re: How Silly Is That 2014-01-20

Post by Opus the Poet »

Ninja'ed. Doesn't anyone sleep around here? And again with that "stars give light" thing.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:Atsali's 3rd panel comment leaked back to the 2nd....
It's the transition link between the panels.

I predict that about Wednesday Atsali is gonna go "Wait - She's WHAT?!?"

====================

Looking at Atsali in that profile shot, my immediate thought was that the only real justification for that outfit would be a mountain and a team of Sherpas.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Opus the Poet wrote:Ninja'ed. Doesn't anyone sleep around here? And again with that "stars give light" thing.
It may be that Demons "see" emotions and structures, but not the physical processes we perceive. Thus "Light" would be mysterious to them as would be hearing a smell.

We see fish as swimming. Fish see themselves as flying.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This explains some of the confusion and fear by the demons. How the heck would they know what dreams are? Since they don't sleep they cannot have them. This also implies they cannot affect, or are aware, of dreams of their hosts. Since they had one this means she is making progress. Now was Bia really there or was it just a dream of Bia?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Opus the Poet wrote:Ninja'ed. Doesn't anyone sleep around here? And again with that "stars give light" thing.
It means demons do not see the way we do. They must use a different spectrum, or method, to perceive the world around them. It could be almost anything from reading emotional waves, to seeing the varying quantum states around them. Since they never have actually used light why would they be aware of it and its use in human vision?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:
We see fish as swimming. Fish see themselves as flying.
Fish just see themselves as moving in a weightless environment. There is no flying in it. As we walk through air and don't think about it, fish move through water. We can think of flying as we can conceive of higher order concepts like that. Fish just probably think, I see a bug. I'll go eat it. Swim towards it and grab it. End of thought.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

So, wait just a skorm-damned-minute!

Was the whole Bia thing "all just a dream"? (TV Trope, but it's self explanatory, so I won't bother linking it)

If so, what the heck? I believe humans can only dream up faces they've already seen, and Tina is (roughly) a human, if you ignore the whole "demons puppeteer in the body from the inside" thing.
Wait, dreams are a mind thing. They're basically a defrag program that comes standard with all Human operating systems installed on Homo sapiens Brand Biological Computers. How did the puppeteer demons run that program, when they don't even have... (Trying to keep the computer analogy going) ... The rest of the Sleep Office Programs?
Demons shouldn't even be equipped with the hardware for sleep. DemonOS doesn't need to sleep.
*sigh* I guess I'll be staying in Confusion Corner a while longer.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

And wait til Tina drops the "I dream of Bia" bomb....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Fairportfan wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:Atsali's 3rd panel comment leaked back to the 2nd....
It's the transition link between the panels.

I predict that about Wednesday Atsali is gonna go "Wait - She's WHAT?!?"
That or a "why have we come to a coven of confused demons that are acting like they might be having a mental breakdown" moment from Atsali.
Fairportfan wrote:Looking at Atsali in that profile shot, my immediate thought was that the only real justification for that outfit would be a mountain and a team of Sherpas.
The backpack? They are surprisingly handy for carrying stuff.

Then there is the possibility that Atsali has some counterweights at the bottom of the pack :?:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

It's all coming down to reality is how we perceive it. A being is equipped with certain sensory inputs and uses these to create its mental structure of the world around it, including how it interacts with any outer beings it encounters. If amongst these sensory systems there are communication methods with which it can share its perceptions with these other beings it becomes necessary to standardize how these methods are interpreted so all parties can understand them.

This does not mean that all parties must apply the exact same parameters to any specific input, it can be of a very different nature to each being (an example might be like pulling the reins on a horses halter, we pull the rope saying turn here, the horse senses pressure on its jaw meaning turn here). Thus it's possible that through years of coexistence beings with widely different means of sensing the world around them could come to be able to easily communicate in common terms that both parties would understand even though neither would have the vaguest idea what the other was actually thinking. As long as everyone was satisfied with the end results, the communication was successful.

(Should I put some more chedder brats on the roller oven and freshen the coffee urn since Tina seems occupied?)
Last edited by Timotheus on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

zachariah wrote:
It means demons do not see the way we do. They must use a different spectrum, or method, to perceive the world around them. It could be almost anything from reading emotional waves, to seeing the varying quantum states around them. Since they never have actually used light why would they be aware of it and its use in human vision?
Well, I'll stand to be corrected on this, but technically speaking stars don't give off light, they give off energy/radiation some of which (a narrow band) humans perceive as 'light'. Or something like that :?:

As Tina has never 'used' human eyes before 'light' is a completely foreign concept to her (err .... them?)

Opus the Poet wrote:Ninja'ed. Doesn't anyone sleep around here?
It's 5.30pm (ish) here - why would I be asleep :P
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Poor Tina is totally out of her normal range of experience. I should say that Tina's demons are out of their range of experience... experiencing an expanded range of experience... Definitely Tina 3.0... 2.9999 if the tentacle is still in the tub. :lol:

I just erased a whole paragraph because the complete and utter contradiction of what seems to be happening here has got my mind working in circles. The whole thing defies logic as we know it anyway...

1. Tina is killed in an automobile accident as a result of her demons conspiring with other demons and/or Jin as I understand it...

2. Tina's soul left her body, but couldn't get through the doorway because it was blocked so she was melded with Shelly's demon to become Conscience.

3. As a result of harming their host, Tina's demons were punished by removing their memories.

4. Tina's demons, at the behest of Nudge, reanimate Tina's body and get her up and moving from the morgue. Somehow, they track down Tina's place in Miami and find evidence that she's the daughter of a drug king pin. Somewhere along the line, she settles in Wapsi square and opens Mucho Mocha.

5. Somewhere along the line, Tina's demons gain a conscience and morals... though they have no memory other than they've been punished.

6. At night, she's an empty shell (do we know where her demons go?)

7. At Dawn, spiders crawl into her eye sockets, she wakes up and the spiders are burned to a crisp as Tina wakes up.

Okay, knowing all the above, We've been shown that Tina sleeps... so wouldn't it stand to reason her demons knows what sleep is? If I'm not mistaken, I can distinctly remember some of her demons trying to wake up another of her demons, to the point of singing "On top of old smokey..." also, hasn't she perceived the cold, seen it snow? So it stands to reason that the demons have experienced things on a more human rather than quantum level. As someone else said, her broken arm for example. Granted there is a part of Tina that experiences or can see Auras... and is capable of reading a person well enough to suggest what they would best have to drink for their morning beverage.

There is a huge discontinuity in Tina's ability to perceive, or things have gone really wonky for her. Or our ability to perceive for that matter.

*throws up my hands and stomps off to confusion corner*

Dily: "Hi... My name is Dily. I'm Confused."

Confusion Corner inhabitants: "HI DILY!!!"
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

All confusion, and resulting speculation aside, I love, love, lóve it that Pablo decided to start digging into the Tina character.

I had a weak spot for her from the moment she was introduced. Maybe 'cause she's closer to my age than the rest of the Wapsi-crew? And her growth can lead to a very fulfilling story-line, me thinks.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote: We've been shown that Tina sleeps... so wouldn't it stand to reason her demons knows what sleep is?
Word of God is that she doesn't sleep.

Word of God is also that her choker has no significance, she just likes to wear it.

I'm not sure i trust Word of God 'round the corner.

Not that i think Paul is lying to us, but i'm remembering Tom Baker and Steven Moffett spending mist of a year insisting that Baker would not be playing the Doctor in the 50th Anniversary Special.

Most of us assumed that meant he wasn't going to be in it...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jay-Em wrote:All confusion, and resulting speculation aside, I love, love, lóve it that Pablo decided to start digging into the Tina character.

I had a weak spot for her from the moment she was introduced. Maybe 'cause she's closer to my age than the rest of the Wapsi-crew? And her growth can lead to a very fulfilling story-line, me thinks.
Remember = Katherine's in her forties.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Looking at Atsali in that profile shot, my immediate thought was that the only real justification for that outfit would be a mountain and a team of Sherpas.
The backpack? They are surprisingly handy for carrying stuff.

Then there is the possibility that Atsali has some counterweights at the bottom of the pack :?:
I dunno - it's the combination of the backpack and the jacket and the hat - which looks like a Tyrolean hat from the side - that just said "Mountains!" to me.

Actually, probably not with Sherpas, though, come to think - a bunch of Austrians singing "Val-da-ree, Val-da-rah!", more likely.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Maybe the demons have issues with starlight because the photons are so old.
New photons still have a connection to the matter they are being selectively
reflected from, like a taste?
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

zachariah wrote:Fish just probably think, I see a bug. I'll go eat it.
Fish aren't capable of thoughts that complex. Their entire vocabulary consists only two words: "Food?" and "Yikes!"
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

To quote Professor Walther von der Vogelweide, "Do fish think? Yes. but not fast enough."
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?