Free After Work 2014-01-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Free After Work 2014-01-17

Post by Fairportfan »

Helen has a couple of shirts of mine from bygone years - including a "Thoreau Sauntering Club" t-shirt, and the Festival Tours sweatshirt from the 1992 UK Music Tour i went on to Cropredy that year.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Not to worry. Gimme a sec, I'll cobble together a local time accelerator to increase the rate of singularity evaporation without causing everything else in the universe to decay into less than subatomic mush...
Hold on, I gotta go visit House's pocket universe for some old TARDIS parts...
*voip*
(Distant clattering and clanging as I dig through the giant TARDIS trash pile)
*voip*
Ooo-kay! Let's see, need some superglue here, put a neodymium magnetic ring here to focus the beam... Get some gorilla tape to hold the thing that goes beep when there's stuff on this bit...
Aaand done! Let's give this a shot, shall we?
(Hooks the device up to one of those big elecric dryer power outlets, slams some switches home, puts on a welder mask and some sunscreen)
(Yelling over noise) you may want to stand back and avert your eyes. I'm not sure if this is going to work... Exactly as intended...(big grin, pushes big red button)
*schlorpiniiinnnggg!!!*
(The table, dalek salt, and the surrounding air suddenly decay into less-than subatomic mush, then just as suddenly re-consitute as a small cloud of hydrogen, and then re-decays and repeats this cycle until I quickly shut off the machine, at which point the hydrogen rapidly oxidizes, causing a really loud bang.)
Ouch. That was loud. Let's see... (Uses lead tongs to pick up a tiny, empty glass mason jar) Looks like a jar to me. It seems everything inside was decayed too, but the pun jar is fine, if a bit hungry. So, all is well! Let's go out to the desert and blow this machine to bits, shall we? Waaay too dangerous to have it lying around...
I applaud your effort and it was a good show. I'm glad you did not decide to sell tickets to watch but it wasn't really necessary you know.

The quantum nature of the gravity well contains all the possible points in space, and reality, that the jar connects to. It is also strongly affected by the observer as well. So if you see it implored - it is, exploded - it is, or still there - it is. The well created connections to all possible iterations of the pun jars in the macro cosmic universe and beyond and their observed, or unobserved, energy and matter states. Of course we will be uncertain as to what we really see but it is our perceptions that leads the way. So more space was created, or connected to, but the jar was not destroyed. It just was hyper-connected. We had put so many things into it it overdosed. You kinda say it was strung out for space. We can make a strong case that the majority opinion on the forum will determine the look of the jar but will still be susceptible to appearance changes to strong minded observers.

Fold notes on lectern. Steps to one side and makes a slight bows and glides off stage head held high and then trips on the carpet that suddenly appeared.
'Okay which one of you clowns observed that there?'
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Aed wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Okay, where did Atsali come up with that shirt?
I suspect Atsali found it while shopping at the mall. As to why wear a shirt with a reference to something popular way before she was born?
Or maybe she is referring to the amount in her underwire.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, I still have my 'DBase III for Mac'* t-shirt from the 1980's, (it survived two different floods come to think of it; in two different zip codes now that I recall. RIP Comic Book collection, in bags, didn't help, and my Juno keyboard....

Damn, who started this? <sniff>

*DB III for Mac - They handed out stuff during the Promotional Tour, but you could Never buy it...

PS- its' my opinion that either A) Atsali is 'different' or B) Tina is too rattled currently, but not C) Atsali doesn't have a coffee history to read...

I think Tina has been reading the people, not what they are used to drinking.

In some cases it seemed she was matter-of-factually proposing stuff the person hadn't thought to try before...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Mark N wrote:
chicgeek wrote:I have this mental image now. Scene shift- back at Tina's apartment, and Tentacle Demon relaxing in a nice bubble bath. 'Aaahhhh...'
Dangit, now I want to see a drawing of that! ^_^
Ahem ... Paul does commissions you know. :idea:
Or wait and watch the Fan Art forum. ;)
Dear Lord, the Temptation...

As if I don't have enough to finish as it is......
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Is there only one tentacle? I was thinking there were at least a couple but I'm not sure
Also, has Kath ever met Tina? I'm not sure I have ever seen them together and the way Monica introduces Atsali, I don't think Kath and Tina have ever met.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Monica must have brought Kathrine to the Mucha Mocha before.
She described her as the the woman with black eyes.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

davids4250 wrote:Also, has Kath ever met Tina? I'm not sure I have ever seen them together and the way Monica introduces Atsali, I don't think Kath and Tina have ever met.
They've never been "onscreen" together, but after all of these years of knowing the same people I'd be surprised if they hadn't at least briefly met. They just apparently haven't spent much time together, since Monica feels the need to describe Katherine.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'd be more for Atsali wearing a t-shirt with the cover from Abbey Road on it. But she did have on a "FRANKIE SAY RELAX" tee, so the 60's probably aren't her cup of tea.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

In a follow up to my previous post, here is a 1st meeting between Phix 'big-sphynx-all-mighTee' and Tina-ski;

http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2010-06-17-now-focus.gif

In it, as Phix is leaving, she asks whether Tina was going to predict her order but Tina is "having trouble concentrating...".

Based on the context of the prev day's comix, It's a safe bet they hadn't yet met, not to Tina's knowledge anyway...
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

And based on the earlier scenes in this story arc, are we sure Tina can even "see" those "black eyes" as described? Maybe she identifies everyone and their surroundings by their personal auras and magnetic/heat signatures and everything else is just "implied".
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

TazManiac wrote:In a follow up to my previous post, here is a 1st meeting between Phix 'big-sphynx-all-mighTee' and Tina-ski;

http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2010-06-17-now-focus.gif

In it, as Phix is leaving, she asks whether Tina was going to predict her order but Tina is "having trouble concentrating...".

Based on the context of the prev day's comix, It's a safe bet they hadn't yet met, not to Tina's knowledge anyway...
That's what I was thinking. Just way too frazzled to focus.
Dave wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Unless Atsali is into mealworm tea for breakfast, why can't Tina read her? Can't be cause she's a paranormal, she can read Phix.....
Uggh. Mealworm tea That's a disgusting idea, dude. Nobody makes tea out of mealworms.

They're much tastier deep-fried or toasted, with a bit of garlic salt. :twisted:
I'm partial to Barbecued, myself. :D
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Sideromelane

Post by Sideromelane »

I think I know whats going on. Tina is a collective after all, with disparate and individual parts who work together. Sure, of late, she's been getting more integrated but today? At least one part is likely hiding in the bathtub at home.

What I imagine goes on in Tina's headspace is something like:

"Aura reader to Coffee Judge, come in please..."

"Aura Reader, this is Vocal Chords Operator. Coffee Judge and Cash Register operator is not here today."

"Damn. Well, last time Monica's aura looked like this *image of aura* we gave her a French Press with Lemon Zest. Pass that along to Espresso Machine Operator. The other one, uh, she's avian, and her aura looks like *image of an aura* but I have no fukkin clue what that means! We need Coffee Judge to decode it!"

"Understood Aura Reader, will pass that along!"

And so on. I mean, after a bad dream, we all feel a little 'not-quite-ourselves' but Tina is literally not herself most of the time.
We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

chicgeek wrote:I have this mental image now. Scene shift- back at Tina's apartment, and Tentacle Demon relaxing in a nice bubble bath. 'Aaahhhh...'
Dangit, now I want to see a drawing of that! ^_^
Your wish is my command.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:I'd be more for Atsali wearing a t-shirt with the cover from Abbey Road on it. But she did have on a "FRANKIE SAY RELAX" tee, so the 60's probably aren't her cup of tea.
Likely the shirts are Katherine's originally.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I'd be more for Atsali wearing a t-shirt with the cover from Abbey Road on it. But she did have on a "FRANKIE SAY RELAX" tee, so the 60's probably aren't her cup of tea.
Likely the shirts are Katherine's originally.
Could be, but Atsali may also be taking the fact that Kath is an expert textile archeologist to heart.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

shadowinthelight,that drawing was perfect. :D
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Timotheus wrote:And based on the earlier scenes in this story arc, are we sure Tina can even "see" those "black eyes" as described? Maybe she identifies everyone and their surroundings by their personal auras and magnetic/heat signatures and everything else is just "implied".
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing this morning.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aleister Crow wrote:
Dave wrote:Uggh. Mealworm tea That's a disgusting idea, dude. Nobody makes tea out of mealworms.

They're much tastier deep-fried or toasted, with a bit of garlic salt. :twisted:
I'm partial to Barbecued, myself. :D
Nice to have a choice of flavors there. Pricey, though, compared to what you'd pay in Southern American countries where they're a popular snack.

Must admit, I have never actually tried them myself. However, my wife and I recently vacationed in Southeast Asia, and in Laos were offered a popular beer-snack... fried crickets and grasshoppers. I found them to be quite tasty... a cross between fried shrimp and Frito's corn chips.

A few days later I tried a local Cambodian delicacy... quick-fried tarantula... quite similar in flavor. On the basis of taste alone I would guess that more Americans than not would enjoy eating such arthropods properly prepared and seasoned.

Esthetically, though. . well, leg of tarantula is definitely and literally the creepiest thing I have ever eaten.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:leg of tarantula
Sounds like something that should be accompanied by eye of newt. ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!