Wake Up 2014-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TazManiac

Re: Wake Up 2014-01-15

Post by TazManiac »

NOTDilbert wrote:She's no longer quantum? OMG, Tina's gone ANALOG!
No, more like she's gone Seagate, or Western Digital, orrrrr Hitachi...

edit- back from depositing Silicon Wafers in the Pun Jar...
Last edited by TazManiac on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DilyV wrote:Dude... DUDE... you went full Dallas... NEVER go full Dallas!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But's OK if you want to go full MONTY!!!, I'm pretty sure that most of us here in the Corner won't mind... :P
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

NOTDilbert wrote:She's no longer quantum? OMG, Tina's gone ANALOG!
Hey, at least that's better than going PLAID...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

To reach the Confusion Corner just follow the smells of fresh popcorn, brewing Java, cold beer, hot brats, and frying brain cells. You can't miss it, the route is lined with failed delusions, lost logic, and deflated propositions. Don't trust the screams of frustration though, the echo make these highly unreliable as guides.

The fastest method is to head to the nearest meeting of mental blocks, bang your head on one three times while emoting,"I'm so confused!" and Tra-La, you're there.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.

Kind of wondering... has Tina ever dreamed before? If not, I'd imagine starting to would freak the hell out of her.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Timotheus wrote:To reach the Confusion Corner just follow the smells of fresh popcorn, brewing Java, cold beer, hot brats, and frying brain cells. You can't miss it, the route is lined with failed delusions, lost logic, and deflated propositions. Don't trust the screams of frustration though, the echo make these highly unreliable as guides.

The fastest method is to head to the nearest meeting of mental blocks, bang your head on one three times while emoting,"I'm so confused!" and Tra-La, you're there.
The corner exists in quantum space. So be like the cat just close your eyes and you are there. All things are possible there but its not as much fun as Lady Sally's place is.

To avoid the corner requires much effort and understanding grasshopper. Reread the strip from the start several times. Then read the wiki links on Wapsi. Then read all the forum pages. At the end of that then sit down and treat it like the biggest jigsaw/mystery/who-dun-it/ of all time. This is only for those of us who are geeks to the core. We're not obsessive about, YET, or at least we hope not. But it does take dedication.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah wrote:To avoid the corner requires much effort and understanding grasshopper. Reread the strip from the start several times. Then read the wiki links on Wapsi. Then read all the forum pages. At the end of that then sit down and treat it like the biggest jigsaw/mystery/who-dun-it/ of all time. This is only for those of us who are geeks to the core. We're not obsessive about, YET, or at least we hope not. But it does take dedication.
The other way to avoid the Corner is summed up in advice I once offered to a Pibgorn fan on my forum site... "Just shut up and enjoy the pretty pictures."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Jabberwonky wrote:It was all a dream!
Where's Bobby Ewing?
In the bathtub, of course, where he just finished his shower. Tentacle will be in for a surprise!
DilyV wrote:I don't know... If I horked up a tentacle like that I'd be damn well positive something demonic was in the air.
Wait, you mean that doesn't happen to everybody every Wednesday morning?
TheDOCTOR wrote:"HORK!" Whoa, talk about your Morning Sickness. Wait.......Nah, couldn't be...or...COULD IT?! :? :shock:
The situation is pregnant with possibilities! But let us not overlook the gravidy of the scenario.
shadowinthelight wrote:Yes, Bia is trying to find Unimatrix Zero.
Or possibly has been divided by zero. Or all of the above.
GlytchMeister wrote:. . .but now it seems everything is back to normal.
Back to what, now?
KnightDelight wrote:So, does being free from the quantum world mean the demons can now move into the human physical world in physical form as they choose? Not just floating apparitions but real flesh and blood beings? I'm not sure even Monica's demons can do that.
Well, the demons already could physically interact with the world around them if they chose to. That tentacle opened a window blind before, and Monica's Doubt offered to dial a phone. It seems more that they're limited by tradition or law rather than by actual ability.
eee

Post by eee »

zachariah wrote:WOW! Freed yourselves from the quantum world!!!!! That implies they are no longer connected to the demon realm and might not be demons anymore. Another step on their path to evolving.

Now why is Bia helping the process. She entered their dream state, or a local quantized internal space, just to pass that message along. Might she be seeking a path the connect more to Shelly, or a way to influence Shelly? She has to know that Shelly is friends with Tina. That last comment really implies strongly that Bia may be the real reason Tina came into being. Wouldn't it be wild if Jin was being manipulated by Bia all along? Maybe Maya was as well. Hard to tell.
We know Tina's father was a drug lord. I don't believe we've learned anything about her mother.

Shelly may have a half-sister.
Julie

Post by Julie »

zachariah wrote:WOW! Freed yourselves from the quantum world!!!!! That implies they are no longer connected to the demon realm and might not be demons anymore. Another step on their path to evolving.

Now why is Bia helping the process. She entered their dream state, or a local quantized internal space, just to pass that message along. Might she be seeking a path the connect more to Shelly, or a way to influence Shelly? She has to know that Shelly is friends with Tina. That last comment really implies strongly that Bia may be the real reason Tina came into being. Wouldn't it be wild if Jin was being manipulated by Bia all along? Maybe Maya was as well. Hard to tell.
Thank you for reminding me that the demons have their own "space" within their hosts that is a kind of quantum space (dear god has my short-term memory gone so much that I'd already forgotten M's trip to Jett's quantum space?)! I'm kind of intrigued now though...because didn't one of Jett's demons say that only the demons belonging to a particular host and the Jaguar Girl may come and go within the host's quantum space (found the page...here)? Does that mean the rules don't apply to Bia/Titans (and maybe the demon just didn't mention it because there was no precedent for Titan visitations)? Or is there something more about Bia that we don't know? Jett's demon did say there was another Jaguar Girl once... :shock:

Yeeep! Going to get comfy in the Corner!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Clue

Clue 2

Annnnd .... Clue 3

Bia/Charon intro thread here.
Last edited by Atomic on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:I don't know... If I horked up a tentacle like that I'd be damn well positive something demonic was in the air.

Seroiusly though... It appears "Tina's" demons are still with us and still in charge of the ship... I believe that their punishment is over and their memory caps have been lifted... Maybe we can find out more about Tina now and what went on with her. I have to wonder though, have Tina's demons ever met Monica outside of Tina's body? If the memory cap has been lifted, and the memories are flooding back, Tina needs to definitely put a call in to both Monica and Phix to report what's happened. I'm getting a vibe that makes me fairly certain that Phix knows this had a good chance of happening and will help Tina through the transition.
Tina has done that before so it is nothing new. Remember the firedrill of demons getting back into Tina for the pizza delivery?

As to getting their memory back I kind of doubt it. The memories were taken by the demon world. If they've freed themselves from the Demon world then how can they get their memories back? I kinda doubt the demons would be nice and return them.

Yes those demons did meet. At the time of Monica's bus accident. Tina's demons caused the car to hit the bus and helped block Monica's soul from leaving. It was the hurt to Tina that got them punished. It was never really clear who set that up though. Hints are Jin had a hand in it, but it might be others as well.
I know all that... I'm saying that I've had some pretty wicked food poisoning and couldn't believe some of the stuff that came out, but a tentacle would clue me in on something demonic happening. I remember the fire drill, but don't remember Tina ever *horking* before because of it. Tina 1.0's shell is just that... a shell, it wouldn't have things like a gag reflex you wouldn't think... so maybe something interesting HAS happened... maybe a step closer to regaining humanity. You know, I just thought of something too... Tina's demons lost their memories, right? If they don't remember, then they don't know they are demons... or don't remember they are supposed to do demonic things, not help people, right? Well, I think that they remember just enough to know they did something wrong and were punished for it... and want to avoid that again. Hence they do the opposite of what's in their nature to avoid that. Having Tina explained fully has been a long time coming... hopefully we can get a fuller, better understanding of our favorite barrista...

Also, note her eyes in today's strip... Bia has pulled out, leaving Tina's hollow sockets, followed by her normal, silver, spiraly thingies.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

This may be a chance to get properly introduced to the crew. If this is all new to the crew, they might all take turns panicking, and going to their own Confusion Corners to suss things out about what they experienced.
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

EE-yewwww!
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

AmriloJim wrote:
zachariah wrote:To avoid the corner requires much effort and understanding grasshopper. Reread the strip from the start several times. Then read the wiki links on Wapsi. Then read all the forum pages. At the end of that then sit down and treat it like the biggest jigsaw/mystery/who-dun-it/ of all time. This is only for those of us who are geeks to the core. We're not obsessive about, YET, or at least we hope not. But it does take dedication.
The other way to avoid the Corner is summed up in advice I once offered to a Pibgorn fan on my forum site... "Just shut up and enjoy the pretty pictures."
How could anyone be confused by Pibgorn? While a bit abstract at time the world logic is consistent and as long as you've read enough Shakespeare it is fine. Unless you like DJinn and Soda which is pure Bogart.
Wapsi world logic is consistent but here it is the character backgrounds and how they mix and match that are the issue. The strip is most byzantine at times. With some plots and story lines that have been running for thousands of year.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

zachariah wrote:Run and hide, run and hide. But why the bathtub? Although I will admit the tub does have a back door escape path and it is usually the safest place during Tornadoes and drive by shootings.
Why the bathtub?
Dude, it is an octopus/squid like tentacle entity, it is Just looking for someplace safe and wet.
Besides, where else would hide? in the oven?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

On another note, I did not see that coming.
Oh well time to wake up and get to work.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

meisdadoo wrote:
zachariah wrote:Run and hide, run and hide. But why the bathtub? Although I will admit the tub does have a back door escape path and it is usually the safest place during Tornadoes and drive by shootings.
Why the bathtub?
Dude, it is an octopus/squid like tentacle entity, it is Just looking for someplace safe and wet.
Besides, where else would hide? in the oven?
Just because it has a tentacle does not mean it is an aquatic form. Demons are not confined to physical shape rules at all. So assuming its form requires water is reaching. Besides as a demon why would it need water at all? So heading for the bathtub is not a natural reaction for it, as it would be for a squid. The question is a valid question.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Because bathtubs are small, quiet, static, (usually) nonthreatening places often associated with privacy, comfort, warmth, and relaxation.

I don't know if all of those apply to demons, but I'm willing to bet some of them do.
Privacy: possibly evokes positive memories or learned responses (not the same as straight memory, IIRC) because a demon's host is alone and separated from their supportive friends/family/etc.
Comfort: demons like pizza because it's the "universal comfort food" (As said by Monica's Doubt long ago). It may be possible other things that create feelings of comfort in the demon's host also do so to the demons themselves. May vary between demons.
Warmth: no idea. Doubt walks around "naked" all the time (assuming Barbie anatomy). However, her ass being lit on fire causes her pain.
... :idea:
OOH! ADHD CONNECTION! Did Monica use astral fire on Doubt way back then?
...ahem...
Relaxation: possibly. Monica let Doubt "stretch her legs" once. That could be akin to relaxation (and/or comfort)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah wrote:How could anyone be confused by Pibgorn? While a bit abstract at time the world logic is consistent and as long as you've read enough Shakespeare it is fine. Unless you like DJinn and Soda which is pure Bogart.
Wapsi world logic is consistent but here it is the character backgrounds and how they mix and match that are the issue. The strip is most byzantine at times. With some plots and story lines that have been running for thousands of year.
The key word is "once." I offered that advice in regard to a previous arc, not the current R&J retelling. Unfortunately, my board's search index got obliterated about six months ago, so I can't find which arc was causing that user such confusion.