Show And Tell 2013-12-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Tenjen

Re: Show And Tell 2013-12-23

Post by Tenjen »

one of them, the little girl with big horns, looks like she's the niece of a certain character from Fosters Home for Imaginary Kids <3

And that's quite a way in which to make an entrance!
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Looks like Monica has been taking couture lessons from Lady Gaga. :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:gee!! sure wish I had an aunt like *that* at show and tell!!! :) :)
I wish i had an aunt like that i could call on on the playground during recess...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Her human disguise skills are progressing nicely.
So the 'kinter garden' ers already know they should have 'pretend faces'?
I guess you have to start them early.
Must be tough on the ones who can't morph.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jayessell wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote: Her human disguise skills are progressing nicely.
So the 'kinter garden' ers already know they should have 'pretend faces'?
I guess you have to start them early.
That's how Atsali explained it to Berdine and Nadette. (Panel 2)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:...the two little girls on the right - one has horns, the other doesn't, but has kinda crackly skin - maybe a young gargoylette? *edit* Or, she could be Ben Grimm's kid.....
Look at her "eyes".
Hmm. Yeah, but could be like Kath's - dark sclera. Also, I think we'd have heard the "SKWEEE!" from here if Castela had found another Whatsit - she thinks she's the only one.

Her human disguise skills are progressing nicely.
[tigger voice] The most wonderful thing about whatsits,
Is whatsits are wonderful sprigs.
Their tops are made out of brambles,
their bottoms are made out of twigs.
They're boucey, trouncey, founcey, pouncey
Scrunch, scrunch, scrunch, scrunch, scrunch!
The most wonderful thing about Whatsits is...
Castela's the only one!!!! [/tigger voice]

*tosses a tumbleweed in the pun jar just to be safe*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Am I the only one wondering if this is actually happening, or is what Castela wants to happen (is daydreaming/planning)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Grantwhy wrote:Am I the only one wondering if this is actually happening, or is what Castela wants to happen (is daydreaming/planning)
And if it is actually happening, the grapevine chatter will put the quietus on future snide remarks directed at 'Sali.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Heheh, oops! Poor kids! ^.^;

Wildcat
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:Am I the only one wondering if this is actually happening, or is what Castela wants to happen (is daydreaming/planning)
And if it is actually happening, the grapevine chatter will put the quietus on future snide remarks directed at 'Sali.
Combining those two thoughts (and the fact that the intro sounds a tad ... sophisticated ... for Castela - perhaps it's Atsali's daydream - "Boy, if Pickle got Aunt Monica to come to show-and-tell and all these kids knew my aunt was the Jaguar Girl and the Demon Shepherd ..."?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Wyvern wrote:And this is clearly Halloween style supposed-to-be-scared fun screaming, not real-emergency screaming.
Wyvern, you're a genius! ;)
My2Cents wrote:Or is she just funning with the kids to set them up for a teaching moment?
I'll go with that one; Mon is pretty obviously camping it up for her grand entrance. It's good to see she's getting more comfortable with her new role as Jaguar Girl/Demon Shepard.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:
Wyvern wrote:And this is clearly Halloween style supposed-to-be-scared fun screaming, not real-emergency screaming.
Wyvern, you're a genius! ;)
My2Cents wrote:Or is she just funning with the kids to set them up for a teaching moment?
I'll go with that one; Mon is pretty obviously camping it up for her grand entrance. It's good to see she's getting more comfortable with her new role as Jaguar Girl/Demon Shepard.
As Lazarus Long says, if you're caught in the Birkenhead Drill, you owe it to yourself to stand at attention on the afterdeck with the best of them.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Cheesy1 wrote:I LOVE the big guy in the middle! :lol:
Does Charles Christopher have a cousin?
DilyV wrote:
Dave wrote:That was... :shock: ... well, it clearly shows that Castela has a wicked sense of fun. Let's just say that it was on a par with Calvin bringing his collection of camel spiders to class.

Possibly worse. For all we know, one or more of Castela's classmates considers camel spiders a yummy treat for an afternoon snack (or a favorite first cousin, or perhaps both).
DUDE!!!!! Warn someone before you spring those things on us!!!! I had to deal with those bastards in Iraq.... *shudders*
Why, if it isn't a lovely picture of the fuzzy cute jumping hug-and-poke-ya spider! They're sooo cuuuuute! (where's my hammer...)

Next week on Show and Tell , Dexter will bring his working Hydrogen Bomb model and demonstrate it's operation! Oh - anybody sensitive to X-rays?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I want a floor like that for my home.

I also wonder if any of these kids can see Monica's demons, the way that some other paranormals apparently can? Having a herd of weird skeleton things and whatever else suddenly pop into existence in the middle of the classroom would certainly add to the AAAUUUGH factor, even if they are all harmless to anyone other than Monica.
GuySmiley wrote:You'd think maybe the teacher might vet the kids' plans for show and tell. You know, just in case.
Perhaps the teacher is as warped and twisted as. . .well, as some of us, here.
JSStryker wrote:I gotta give Monica credit she can do scary. . .
And she even landed on her feet and in her own clothing this time! Practice has improved her arrivals over her earlier attempts.
Fairportfan wrote:Yes - i believe the little girl with pigtails is, indeed, another whatsit.
I doubt that. First, she looks a bit different. Also, if there was another Whatsit at the school, you'd think that Castela would have found out about it. The MiB certainly would have known about it, and Castela hangs out with them.
DilyV wrote:DUDE!!!!! Warn someone before you spring those things on us!!!! I had to deal with those bastards in Iraq.... *shudders*
Awwww, but they're all fuzzy, like a kitten with too many legs and giant fangs!
My2Cents wrote:The question is, did she put that ensemble together as a super hero costume to hide her identity in the normal world? Or is this the start of a major personality shift? Or is she just funning with the kids to set them up for a teaching moment?
Fairportfan wrote:. . .and the fact that the intro sounds a tad ... sophisticated ... for Castela. . .
My guess is that she and Castela worked this out together beforehand, and perhaps rehearsed it a little, to mess with the other kids and get their attention. People do all sorts of silly things that they wouldn't do otherwise when entertaining children. Perhaps next she'll give a nice public service announcement regarding demons or hymenopteran stings or looking both ways before crossing the street.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:DUDE!!!!! Warn someone before you spring those things on us!!!! I had to deal with those bastards in Iraq.... *shudders*
Oh, terribly sorry. I been naughty and wicked. 8-) Coal in my stocking, day after tomorrow, no question about it.

You probably won't have been asking Santa for Lego set 9470, then. Don't research it. Don't look. No matter how curious you may be, no matter how intriguing the narrative hook... don't attempt to learn what it is. Ignore those little voices that whisper "But what if it's awesome?" and "It's just Legos, how bad could it be, you're brave enough" and "Maybe it comes with cookies and chocolate"... pay them no mind at all. Nothing bad will happen if you simply walk away and pretend you never read this... they won't really carry out their threat to drown a cute big-eyed fluffy little endangered animal if they don't get your web-click.

You really don't want to know. Your sanity may be at stake. You don't need to be ending up in a Lovecraft story. Don't go there.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

My2Cents wrote:The question is, did she put that ensemble together as a super hero costume to hide her identity in the normal world? Or is this the start of a major personality shift? Or is she just funning with the kids to set them up for a teaching moment?
Hopefully it's a teaching moment. I would think Monica would have more sense than to show up in front of little kids like that. Especially with the extra eye makeup. That's just being needlessly cruel. She could scar these kids for life. Of course, this school could practice tough love considering the trials these kids will have to face in the future. Like the Atsali swimming class. Normally the instructor would have seen to it that Gotlieb got another suit but she told her to fend for herself and get on with it. Sink or swim so to speak. Be resourceful. Not to mention seeing who would step up and help.

I wonder if the boy on the left is a werewolf offspring? Anyway they're all cute. The Sasquatch teddy bear one shows that no matter the size, a child is still a child. Also wonder how he/she gets away with not having to wear a uniform? Surely they can come up with a custom one to fit.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I think the girl with pigtails on the right is stone-based, not plant-based. The lines across her "skin" are different than those Castela has when they're shown. This looks more like either cracks in stone, or some form of marble.

I also liked the idea proposed that the boy at the left might be a younger brother to the ursamorph twins. I was going to say that it might explain why Castela knew of the species, but looking at where it happens, I see that she "heard stories" about the ursamorphs, so it can't be that she has one in her class. Maybe he's a werewolf cub?
Catawampus wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:You'd think maybe the teacher might vet the kids' plans for show and tell. You know, just in case.
Perhaps the teacher is as warped and twisted as. . .well, as some of us, here.
My bet is that the teacher knew ahead of time and knew that while potentially dangerous, Monica had proper self-control and would not harm anyone. Just like showing up with a stick of dynamite would not be dangerous unless lit... oh, wait... I'm not helping my case, am I... :roll:
eee

Post by eee »

I wonder how Monica and Castela managed the timing of Monica's poit so well. M's not telepathic, or has ESP. That we know. Maybe one of Castela's demons told her when to make the jump, or Castela left a cell phone open so Monica could listen in, or M was in the hallway outside the room and could hear Pickle's introdution...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

eee wrote:I wonder how Monica and Castela managed the timing of Monica's poit so well. M's not telepathic, or has ESP. That we know. Maybe one of Castela's demons told her when to make the jump, or Castela left a cell phone open so Monica could listen in, or M was in the hallway outside the room and could hear Pickle's introdution...

Well Monica does have ESP. It is how she knows someones worst fears. There may be more to it than that especially if she is keeping her senses open to a certain plant girl.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

eee wrote:I wonder how Monica and Castela managed the timing of Monica's poit so well.
The traditional way is to be out in the hallway listening. :D Kids catch on quickly enough, of course, but there's always more coming along who haven't seen the trick yet.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.