What You Did 2013-12-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: What You Did 2013-12-19

Post by DilyV »

Hansontoons wrote:
DilyV wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Are we having a "When Monica Met Shelly" moment here?
Atsali (all non chalant and continuing to tie her shoes): "You know... I have this aunt who is big breasted... I'd like you to meet her... the last time someone made a snide remark about her breasts, she poited them into a volcano... Oh yeah... by the way... She's the Jaguar Girl. Just sayin'..." *walks out singing Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads, fish heads fish heads eat them up yum!* :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fish heads! That goes a little ways back, when MTV played music videos. Great video. We'll maybe not great, but sufficiently weird. Hopefully Atsali's future is so bright she'll have to wear shades!
I was born in 1980, so I was a bit too young to remember it when it came out, but my friend was an internet DJ for awhile and had an insane music collection. He listens to everything from Classical to techno and just about everything in between.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Grantwhy wrote:I found the link/worked out the joke - and it's a good one by GuySmiley :D

Oh, right, I should do that 'sharing' thing :mrgreen:

googling Gotlieb won't get you the answer, googling Gotlieb flipper will.

and for those want to find it for themselves, I'll hide the answer link thingie, and for those that don't, click HERE and HERE
(bonus: google image search results page HERE)
(bonus bonus :shock: : youtube Gottlieb Flipper video HERE [I suspect GuySmiley has seen that one already ;)])
*bows* Thank you, thank you.... I'm here all night. :lol: (I've been trying to figure out a good place for that joke since Monday)

And for the record, I had no idea that there was an actual machine with that name. :o I was just thinking of the flippers on the machine.

BTW, since we don't know her friend Krystle's last name yet, I feel I have to suggest this. :twisted:
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Krystle Bally? You are evil beyond redemption - unless the Pun Jar offers you absolution via a suitably large donation.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

zachariah wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
jayessell wrote:"You're welcome, Flipper."
(Maybe Atsali would just Think that last bit.)
Flipper was Jewish? :shock:
Makes sense. If Flipper was catholic it couldn't eat fish of Friday and would starve.(I know that's wrong but it adds to the humor. lol).
:lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

NOTDilbert wrote:Krystle Bally? You are evil beyond redemption - unless the Pun Jar offers you absolution via a suitably large donation.
I had too, it was just out there begging to be said. :)

*drops a roll of quarters into the pun jar*
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

zachariah wrote:Sali is basically too nice to arrange something like that on purpose. Most likely she will keep to her low profile and just stay in the back ground. Shrugging these thing soff is her way. SO don't expect any fireworks like that.
Though Jessie and Atsali aren't living in isolation. There are a huge number of other potential players in this drama, perhaps even characters not yet shown. Remember how Atsali's attempt to maintain a low profile in the background at the mall went once others got involved. She might not be given a choice in avoiding any fireworks, even if she'd rather not set any off herself.
DilyV wrote:I was born in 1980, so I was a bit too young to remember it when it came out, but my friend was an internet DJ for awhile and had an insane music collection.
Wait, doesn't everybody own a copy of that song?!?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
DilyV wrote:I was born in 1980, so I was a bit too young to remember it when it came out, but my friend was an internet DJ for awhile and had an insane music collection.
Wait, doesn't everybody own a copy of that song?!?
Real-estate prices are so high that not all of us can afford to own two barns.

"Eat them up, yum!" :lol: DilyV's suggested jab-back by way of mentioning powerful relatives could be devastating in the short run (and really funny to watch happen!), but I rather doubt Atsali will play her cards that way.

There are just too many ways it could make matters worse for her rather than better. It would completely wipe out her "stay low and hope people don't pay any particular attention to me" strategy. It'd put her up above everybody's radar horizon and make her the center of conversation and gossip. And, it would brand her in some peoples' eyes as a coward: the punk kid who threatens to have her powerful relative beat you up, rather than one who has the strength and stones to fight her own battles.

From what we've seen of Atsali, I don't think she's the sort of person who would respect someone who used that kind of attack... and so won't use it herself.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah yes, those were the days -- a roll of quarters, a soda in hand, and a summers afternoon at the arcade.

And they called it...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

It's starting to sound a little demented in here... :D
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'd be jonesin' for a round of old-style arcade goodness, if I didn't have some classic games for my 3DS, DSi, and GBA units. Including Atari and Namco collections. Gotta have my Pac-Man and Tempest fixes!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A lot of my quarters went into Tempest machines. The game was annoyingly simple but satisfying to play.

And I have always wanted to own a pinball machine. Sadly, I never had the money nor the spare area for one.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Edited because I got the joke. Finally. :|
Last edited by MerchManDan on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Leak

Post by Leak »

Atomic wrote:Ah yes, those were the days -- a roll of quarters, a soda in hand, and a summers afternoon at the arcade.

And they called it...
Pinball Cha Cha, since we're on that topic... :)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Leak wrote:
Atomic wrote:Ah yes, those were the days -- a roll of quarters, a soda in hand, and a summers afternoon at the arcade.

And they called it...
Pinball Cha Cha, since we're on that topic... :)
Quarters? I recall how deeply offended my friends and i were when we were first confronted with a dime pinball.

Or some years later, the way that my best friend reacted to a soda machine at an I-85 gas station that charged fifteen cents a can.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What's sad is, a Coke out of a machine at my workplace is now 10 times that amount. :(

For those who didn't catch the esoteric reference: "Gottlieb" is the name of an old electronic amusement device that was notable for its pinball machines. For you young'ns who don't know, pinball was a game using a small metal ball - usually about an inch in diameter (I could be wrong on that) that you launched with a plunger and tried to manipulate around the game field with "flippers".
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

jwhouk wrote:For those who didn't catch the esoteric reference: "Gottlieb" is the name of an old electronic amusement device that was notable for its pinball machines. For you young'ns who don't know, pinball was a game using a small metal ball - usually about an inch in diameter (I could be wrong on that) that you launched with a plunger and tried to manipulate around the game field with "flippers".
Ack! Now you're making me feel old. I'm only 31, that shouldn't be happening yet. :o

I think I grew up at the tail end of when arcades were popular and we never had one near where I lived. It didn't help that it wasn't a hobby that my mom approved of. :( The only times I got to play were when we went out to the grandparent's cottage once or twice a summer and the odd time my mom would let me stop at the mall arcade if we went past it. The only reason I know any details about the machines now is because I have an app on my iPad that has all kinds of tables (replicas of real ones) available to play.
jwhouk wrote:And I have always wanted to own a pinball machine. Sadly, I never had the money nor the spare area for one.
Same here. One day though, one day.
Fairportfan wrote:Quarters? I recall how deeply offended my friends and i were when we were first confronted with a dime pinball.
You might want to avoid the arcade at the movie theatre these days then. They use fancy schmancy credits on swipe cards (lazy bums can't be bothered to deal with change I guess) which tends to disguise the fact the the games all cost over $1. :shock: Some of them over $2! :evil: Not that they have anything worth playing.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:A lot of my quarters went into Tempest machines. The game was annoyingly simple but satisfying to play.

And I have always wanted to own a pinball machine. Sadly, I never had the money nor the spare area for one.
Le Sigh...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, the one I'd want is... well, c'mon, I grew up in the '70's.

"He's a pinball wizard..."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:Quarters? I recall how deeply offended my friends and i were when we were first confronted with a dime pinball.

Or some years later, the way that my best friend reacted to a soda machine at an I-85 gas station that charged fifteen cents a can.
And I can remember being outraged when comic books went up to 15 cents because then I didn't have pennies for the gumball machine!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:

And I can remember being outraged when comic books went up to 15 cents because then I didn't have pennies for the gumball machine!
Heh. Twelve cents...

(See, i remember Fantastic Four #1 and Amazing Fantasy 15 {and earlier issues}.)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber